Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where are the nice places to eat or have a coffee in Glasnevin/ Drumcondra

Options
  • 10-02-2014 4:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭

Just wondering.....

Seems to me that compared to places like Portobello or Rathmines or Portobello or most notably Stoneybatter - there seems to be a major shortage of nice restaurants/ coffee shops/ bistros/ gastropubs in Glasnevin/ Drumcondra.

Am I missing something......

I know there a few places, like the creperie or the cheese place.....but am I missing any hidden gems here?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    Just wondering.....

Seems to me that compared to places like Portobello or Rathmines or Portobello or most notably Stoneybatter - there seems to be a major shortage of nice restaurants/ coffee shops/ bistros/ gastropubs in Glasnevin/ Drumcondra.

I know there a few places, like the creperie or the cheese place.....but am I missing any hidden gems here?

Andersens in the Rise

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭M.J.M.C

Go into the National Botanic Gardens
    There's a nice cafe in there (not the main food area) also nice surroundings

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Just wondering.....

Most residents of Glasnevin and Drumcondra agree with you. They are both quite large suburbs with a fair amount of affluent people. But yet you cant get a decent cup of coffee in either of them. Personally I found Andersons over priced and nothing special.

But Woodstock in Phisboro is fairly pricey, over crowded but generally excellent. I find the food perfect always.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭The Duk

Independent pizza, http://www.ilovepizza.ie/ great value soup and pulled pork sambo for lunch €7.50.

The mint Leaf, 2 course (plus naan and dips etc) and coffee 9.95 of a friday lunch time. This would be a regular for me :)http://www.mintleaf.ie/

The Ivy house can be hit or miss imho. http://www.theivyhouse.ie/

Diep at home is ok http://www.diep.net/athome/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

hfallada wrote: »
    Most residents of Glasnevin and Drumcondra agree with you. They are both quite large suburbs with a fair amount of affluent people. But yet you cant get a decent cup of coffee in either of them. Personally I found Andersons over priced and nothing special.

But Woodstock in Phisboro is fairly pricey, over crowded but generally excellent. I find the food perfect always.

What I'm thinking is....

where is the place that you go with your Irish Times on a Saturday and get a cracking coffee and sandwich or pastry.

I'd agree with you on Andersons.

Do any of the pubs do exceptional food? like Mulligans in Stoneybatter?

I was thinking maybe the Gravediggers....?

• Advertisement

M.J.M.C wrote: »
    Go into the National Botanic Gardens
    There's a nice cafe in there (not the main food area) also nice surroundings

Nice food and lovely staff, but poor coffee and it looks to me like a hospital canteen.

You are right about the surroundings though, who needs a nice cafe when you have the botanic gardens.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭macgabhs

Gravediggers does nice tapas in the evenings and they have a coffee machine but I can never turn down a guiness when I go there so can't comment on the quality of the coffee!

I was sad to see WJ Kavanaghs on Dorset St close it's doors it was a spin off from Mulligans in Stoneybatter and servers great food with nice craft beer selection.

I would love to see the type of place you are describing open up in the area I love my coffee and a nice cafe would surely do well.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

its shocking bad. i like anderson but it is over priced.

i miss kavanaghs used to go there a lot. :(

there isnt even a decent take away in the area:mad:

John Mason wrote: »

there isnt even a decent take away in the area:mad:

Yep, was wondering about that because there are so many takeaways......down around Harts Corner it feels like takeaway central, that's all there is....

While I'm on the subject.....

While I'm on my rant here.....

From Harts Corner....all the way up Botanic Road, including the shops at Botanic Gardens....carrying all the way through to Mobhi Road, on up to Griffith Avenue, across Griffith Avenue to Drumcondra road, back down drumcondra road as far as the Quinns Pub area....

That area covers most of Glasnevin/ Drumcondra.

Am I right in saying there is not a single butcher's shop in all this area? I cant think of any.

And I'm pretty certain I'm right in saying there is not one green grocer and not one fish shop?

From where I currently live, in Cabra, within a five minute walk, I can go to three green grocers, three fish shops, three butchers and two bakeries (including the outstanding Clarkes).

Reason I posted this originally...

I saw today Cake Café is opening in Stoneybatter......there's already an outstanding Bakers in Stoneybatter, as well as quite a few top notch cafes (my favourite is Java Bay - outstanding muffins cooked in store, great coffee). The competition is high. The population is low.

Why would Cake Café not open in Glasnevin, with five times the population and a fraction of the places to go.......seems a no brainer to me.

Thinking a bit more about this...

Is part of the problem with Drumcondra/ Glasnevin that the 'shopping areas' need to be reengineered a bit.

A lovely place to have a few shops would be there at the end of Hollybank road. it would be a lovely neighbourhood stroll, and there a number of premises there, crèche's and so on.

On the other hand, around Harts Corner where the shops are....its basically a traffic island with nowhere to park. Same applies at the Botanics.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭lilymc

The Ivy House.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭sawdoubters

any bar

theres one near the graveyard

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Like Glasnevin is possible the nicest suburb on the northside. There is a huge amount of green spaces eg botanic gardens, parks etc. But there is nothing in it at all. But the shops and other services are non-existent. There is a few pubs, off licenses, a dreadful pharmacy and a few horrible take aways. You need to go to town for pretty everything other than a newspaper or a pint.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

While I'm on my rant here.....

From Harts Corner....all the way up Botanic Road, including the shops at Botanic Gardens....carrying all the way through to Mobhi Road, on up to Griffith Avenue, across Griffith Avenue to Drumcondra road, back down drumcondra road as far as the Quinns Pub area....

That area covers most of Glasnevin/ Drumcondra.

Am I right in saying there is not a single butcher's shop in all this area? I cant think of any.

That may be the case, but just up Dorset St. a bit (Belvedere Rd to be precise) is Brady's butchers - a fine butchers by any Dublin standard.

alastair wrote: »
    That may be the case, but just up Dorset St. a bit (Belvedere Rd to be precise) is Brady's butchers - a fine butchers by any Dublin standard.

Thats true, Bradys is fantastic.

Nonetheless, you'd be getting in your car to go there if you lived in Glasnevin.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,466 ✭✭✭✭cson

alastair wrote: »

Thirding that, Brady's is excellent.

Advertisement