Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fair play to Davina

Options
  • 10-02-2014 5:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭

She has got guts doing that at this time of year, christ those pictures look the epitome of suffering

Read more

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

She looked to be in a very, very bad way coming out of the water. Not entierly sure that was safe?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

She looked to be in a very, very bad way coming out of the water. Not entierly sure that was safe?

She was in a bad way going in, a whimpering mess. HTFU woman

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

tunney wrote: »
    She was in a bad way going in, a whimpering mess. HTFU woman

Ha I thought that too, she looked absolutely terrified - will you have that look Tunney in Frankfurt ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭smcgui

I'm all for raising money for charity and pushing yourself but from that video it just looks pure irresponsible and dangerous, she seems to be totally under prepared by the looks of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭miller82

i read she did one open water swim before this . If so....gob****e !!!! she got what she deserved.

totally irresponsible and a terrible example for others. was really hoping she'd fail

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭woody1

miller82 wrote: »
    i read she did one open water swim before this . If so....gob****e !!!! she got what she deserved.

totally irresponsible and a terrible example for others. was really hoping she'd fail

jesus ! there was me thinking that if she was open water swimming in febraury that she must have a fair bit done already and that she would be getting good advice / training from some well informed people..

obviously not.. yeah i think gobsh*te is the appropriate term..

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Where is the vid of her going in, and how long was she in the water? Looks like she got towed in for the latter part, from the pictures.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Oryx wrote: »
    Where is the vid of her going in, and how long was she in the water? Looks like she got towed in for the latter part, from the pictures.

Different sources saying different distances between a 1 mile - 1.5 miles I think. Would any of us go into an Irish lake and do a HIM distance swim in February?! :eek:

Different sources saying different distances between a 1 mile - 1.5 miles I think. Would any of us go into an Irish lake and do a HIM distance swim in February?! :eek:
    Yes we bloody would. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,396 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Where is the vid of her going in

• Advertisement

I am a bad person for having very little sympathy for her? On a scale of difficult things, it is not the worst thing ever. I know hypothermia is something out of your control, really, but waterworks at the start? Please.

This is the woman who bungee jumped out of a helicopter over the grand canyon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

I am a bad person for having very little sympathy for her? On a scale of difficult things, it is not the worst thing ever. I know hypothermia is something out of your control, really, but waterworks at the start? Please.

This is the woman who bungee jumped out of a helicopter over the grand canyon.

Tunney, is that you?

In fairness, OW swimming is what puts most people off tri in the first place... chuck in asking an OW swim novice to bang out 1.5km in a lake in Feb, and her reluctance is somewhat understandable.
    I'll bet there were a few tears shed (not yours, mind...) when the group was told "no wetsuit" at IM Austria...:)

Izoard wrote: »
    Tunney, is that you?

In fairness, OW swimming is what puts most people off tri in the first place... chuck in asking an OW swim novice to bang out 1.5km in a lake in Feb, and her reluctance is somewhat understandable.
    I'll bet there were a few tears shed (not yours, mind...) when the group was told "no wetsuit" at IM Austria...:)

No not me!

Personally if you told me I had to walk across a room full of red and black spiders I would probably sh1t myself and cry.
    But then again I'd not agree to do that on national TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭StaggerLee

Its for TV, there has to be drama, audiences arent gonna watch if she hops in and does it in 20 mins and gets out smiling and waving.

In saying that, must have been fookin baltic :eek:

I wouldn't have jumped out of the helicopter like she did, which is why I cant understand her being so soft on this one. If you agree to do that kind of thing, you get your collywobbles out of the way in private, way beforehand, if you have any sense. She is a tv presenter who has done harder things, I just dont understand her fear of this. Her condition at the end is understandable, and looks awful.

I didnt cry at Austria. I remember laughing, hysterically.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭speedyj

Outside assistance, instant DQ right there!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Sounds like she did some training for it, 1.5 mile swim, certainly not easy at this time of year

'My open water training under the tutelage of Prof Greg Whyte who helped David Walliams and John Bishop hit extraordinary heights has been incredibly tough and the cold is indescribable – God only knows what Windermere will be like.'

Different fears I suppose - you wouldn't catch me dead jumping out of a helicopter, I am terrified of heights. I remember watching yer man Jack Ozbourne taking on the Marathon De Sables with shag all training, a load of hard man guff about never giving in, but alas he never showed up for day 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭valerie

Ah here, she's barely conscious at the end. How did they think that would be a good idea?

Did her t1ts at least fall out?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

speedyj wrote: »
    Outside assistance, instant DQ right there!

Feet covered too... another DQ

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,396 ✭✭✭Shedite27

StaggerLee wrote: »
    Its for TV, there has to be drama, audiences arent gonna watch if she hops in and does it in 20 mins and gets out smiling and waving.
    I agree. I suspect that was faked for the camera.

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Podge83

Look, I've no particular time for this Celeb but in all fairness, when she said she'd do this it was far away from the frozen shore where she got in.

Leaving everything else aside - on the cold morning she was faced with a terrifying challenge and did it - fair play! Something that I wouldn't have fancied doing. Best of luck to her for the rest of it!

Advertisement