Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are you cooking for Valentine's Day.

Options
  • 10-02-2014 5:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭

I always like to go OTT for Mrs bizzyb with a Valentine's menu not to sure what to cook this year. What are you cooking?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,041 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

bizzyb wrote: »
    I always like to go OTT for Mrs bizzyb with a Valentine's menu not to sure what to cook this year. What are you cooking?

Won't be cooking. I'm away skiing without Mrs Beer!
    Not that she's bothered - it's not her thing or mine. What was important to her was that I wasn't away skiing for the food extravaganza that was Chinese New Year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Envy you beer, for both CNY feast and skiing.

We don't celebrate Valentine's, but our wedding anniversary is (conveniently) a couple of days after, and we usually dine out. This year I'm thinking of a car picnic instead.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Mrs Fox wrote: »
    This year I'm thinking of a car picnic instead.

I LOVE car picnics - especially this time of year when the weather is bad :)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Won't be cooking. I'm away skiing without Mrs Beer!
    Not that she's bothered - it's not her thing or mine. What was important to her was that I wasn't away skiing for the food extravaganza that was Chinese New Year.
    I hope you have a great time!
    [Off-topic] Please, please wear a lid [/Off-topic]

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

I'm thinking steak. There's something uber romantic about a nice juicy shteak

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Read this:

Thinking you had quoted this:
    Mrs Fox wrote: »
    Envy you beer, for both CNY feast and skiing.

We don't celebrate Valentine's, but our wedding anniversary is (conveniently) a couple of days after, and we usually dine out. This year I'm thinking of a car picnic instead.

Lid took on a whole new meaning. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,041 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I hope you have a great time!

Have done for years and almost never (deliberately) go off piste.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭newdigi

firstly i must declare an interest and say that I know Terry but I'm sure he won't mind me promoting his recipe (stolen from http://www.babytime.ie/recipe-time/112-terry-lyons/264-terry-lyons-valentine-menu-mains-chilli-prawn-linguine)

He has put together a 3 course Valentines meal....Bruschetta, Chilli Prawn Linguine and Tiramisu, but it's the Chilli Prawn Linguine that has my mouth watering.

I wanted something simple to cook and that seems foolproof enough for me!
    The Tiramisu, whilst very very tempting will be a bit too heavy I think so I'm gonna opt for a chocolate fondue with strawberries because we love chocolate and its so easy (http://uktv.co.uk/food/recipe/aid/655531). Granted it's possibly just as heavy as the Tiramisu but sure why not.

I'm sooooo hungry now

• Registered Users Posts: 8,501 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Herself is working the night shift so it'll probably be chips with the kids :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭gg2

I'll be in the OH's house and he has the WORST oven of all time, do not trust it all all, there's more heat coming rushing out of it then is in it!! Might just make steak sandwiches and cajun onion and mushrooms..... Or might not bother my bum and will just get an Indian :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭Firewalkwithme

Just putting the menu together at the moment, it's subject to change but right now this is what I'm thinking:

Starter: Butter and Garlic Prawns (I'll do a small side salad with this).

Main: Fillet Steak with pepper sauce, fried onions and mushrooms, asparagus and creamed potato.

Dessert: Eton Mess

• Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭thegreatiam

She wants beef Wellington. Something I've never attempted before. I may be taking on too much.

She also doesn't like mushrooms so it will be an amended recipe. I think I saw on eon British bake off which was pate based

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭foodaholic

She wants beef Wellington. Something I've never attempted before. I may be taking on too much.

She also doesn't like mushrooms so it will be an amended recipe. I think I saw on eon British bake off which was pate based

This is a really easy one to follow
    http://www.rte.ie/lifestyle/food/recipes/2011/1012/2782-beef-wellington/
    You can prep it the day before so really handy to do. And it looks like you went to a lot of trouble

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭newdigi

i'd be interested to know how you get on if you cook this.

i love beef wellington but have always been afraid to tackle cooking it

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭bizzyb

newdigi wrote: »
    i'd be interested to know how you get on if you cook this.

i love beef wellington but have always been afraid to tackle cooking it

Duck Wellington is delicious too and a little different!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

I think I'm going to make buttermilk fried chicken & spiced Mac & Cheese from the Cooking Club. Although bit iffy about the chicken because it'll be my first time deep fat frying over a gas flame and, even with my thermometer, that just (irrationally) spells giant ball of flaming gas & oil taking out the kitchen to me. I am afear'd indeed of open flames and hot oil. So it might be oven baked butter milk chicken. Mac & cheese in individual portions because I'll be adding 1,000,000 jalapenos to mine and no chili at all to his. Will do little melt in the middle chocolate baby cakes for afterwards.

Then we'll both be grouchy because we're too full, very romantic indeed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

Side of salmon with garlic butter, side salad with leaves, feta, cherry tomatoes and a drizzle of balsamic, and some rice. Hungry already :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

Thinking, some form of mussel starter , beetroot burgers with side salad and homemade chunky oven chips (both normal & sweet potatoe) followed by chocolate and/or lemon tarlets & ice cream for dessert.

Thinking a nice white wine for dinner followed by Prosecco for dessert / after dinner shenanigans..if she's not poisoned by that stage!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭misslt

I will be doing leek and potato soup, battered lemon chicken and possibly a Baileys cheesecake for dessert.

Nothing hugely adventerous as I'm working Friday all day.

But I am going to attempt chicken and ham pie on Saturday!

Advertisement