Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google Maps Phoenix Park

Options
  • 10-02-2014 6:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭

Been trying to plot a new route to work on GM using shortcuts through PP but for some reason it would only map around the park.

Has anybody had any experience with this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

Park is for recreational use only

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭mackerski

Been trying to plot a new route to work on GM using shortcuts through PP but for some reason it would only map around the park.

Has anybody had any experience with this?

Try this routing engine instead:

http://osrm.at/6nz

Drag the markers around or just enter new start and end points.

Have fun!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

GM = Google maps
    PP = Phoenix Park

Does your ISP charge by the letter ;)

Not all the roads in the park are through roads for cars. Some are pedestrian only. So are you sure you're not selecting them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Park is for recreational use only

no it isn't, Chesterfield Avenue is a public, drivable road.

Non commercial only. No vans etc. But I don't see the relevance either way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

beauf wrote: »
    GM = Google maps
    PP = Phoenix Park

Does your ISP charge by the letter ;)

Not all the roads in the park are through roads for cars. Some are pedestrian only. So are you sure you're not selecting them?

No, just LOVE taking short cuts.

Anyway, it was laborious but I finally managed to do it manually by dragging pointers around the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭micks

mapmyrun.com is v good for creating routs etc
    app available also

• Registered Users Posts: 83,297 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Waze is the only nav I use with the exception of looking up an address for a business or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Tails142

Google maps is set up not to route traffic through the park.

Tails142 wrote: »
    Google maps is set up not to route traffic through the park.

Why's that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Ravenid

McKee Army Barracks, Garda Barracks and Áras an Uachtaráin in close proximity?

Now you're making stuff up.

Ravenid wrote: »
    McKee Army Barracks, Garda Barracks and Áras an Uachtaráin in close proximity?

Doubt it. It doesn't. Have any issues routing by other barracks, garda stations or prisons. You can also get clear satellite images of all the above, including the aras, which is quite clearly labelled as such.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Ravenid

Now you're making stuff up.

Nope they all actually exist.
    Doubt it. It doesn't. Have any issues routing by other barracks, garda stations or prisons. You can also get clear satellite images of all the above, including the aras, which is quite clearly labelled as such.

True. But its the only one that makes sense espically as Google Maps is based in Dublin you'd think they would have every centimeter of the city mapped at this point.

Seriously?

Making them up as reason for Google not to route find past them. Especially as Google does map beside them on Blackhorse.
    Ravenid wrote: »
    ...But its the only one that makes sense...

.. how about because its a "park"...

no it isn't, Chesterfield Avenue is a public, drivable road.

I think it might be a private road in a park. So the OPW can close it etc.

I'd say its just a glitch though.

Chesterfield Avenue isn't even on Street View anymore. It used to be.

Karsini wrote: »
    Chesterfield Avenue isn't even on Street View anymore. It used to be.

I was wondering that, because I thought it used to work when I was planning my cycling routes.

I was wondering that, because I thought it used to work when I was planning my cycling routes.

So does it work of you plan a cycling route instead of a driving route?

They didn't have cycle option on the old maps, so I used the car one, or pedistrian Maybe I'm remembering wrong.

The cycle option on the new one routes through the main road in the park, but not the side roads or closed roads. TBH it doesn't seem to work even for walking.

I switched back to the classic (old) one and thats no working either. So either it never worked and I'm not remembering it write or the classic one isn't actually working the same as it used to.

I suspect they've changed the classification of the side roads, and closed roads/paths in the park. So they are being excluded from the route finding.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,636 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Chesterfield Avenue (and presumably, all roads in the Park) are marked as "Restricted Usage" on Google Maps.

Officially, it's a private road, owned by the OPW, rather than the public roads maintained by the NRA

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

28064212 wrote: »
    Chesterfield Avenue (and presumably, all roads in the Park) are marked as "Restricted Usage" on Google Maps.

Officially, it's a private road, owned by the OPW, rather than the public roads maintained by the NRA

Thanks for that.
    like I said, it can be done but it takes a fair bit of manual amending.

Advertisement