Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Boiler service and new timer clock

• 10-02-2014 6:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭

Hi Guys,

The switch broke on my timer clock and I have sourced a replacement timer clock. I am also due to get boiler service.

Would it be possible to get a tradesman to do both jobs? Or is this a spark and plumber..

Obviously i'd pay bit extra - it would be more convenient to get both done at same time.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,840 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Hi Guys,

The switch broke on my timer clock and I have sourced a replacement timer clock. I am also due to get boiler service.

Would it be possible to get a tradesman to do both jobs? Or is this a spark and plumber..

Obviously i'd pay bit extra - it would be more convenient to get both done at same time.

Thanks
    Any decent Rgi should be well able to service the boiler and do the wiring for you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭shane0007

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Any decent Rgi should be well able to service the boiler and do the wiring for you

Only as long as they are GID & not G1/G2, otherwise they are not certified for electrical minor works.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭scudo2

shane0007 wrote: »
    Only as long as they are GID & not G1/G2, otherwise they are not certified for electrical minor works.

Why ?
    Electrical work was part of my GI.1 / 2 /3 not that I do gas but just curious as I've been doing all my own electrical work for over 20 years and it's listed on my PL Insurance,
    Excluding heavy loads of course.
    Ta

scudo2 wrote: »
    Why ?
    Electrical work was part of my GI.1 / 2 /3 not that I do gas but just curious as I've been doing all my own electrical work for over 20 years and it's listed on my PL Insurance,
    Excluding heavy loads of course.
    Ta
    Because your skills have not been tested under the electrical minor works within past 5 years. The skill set you obtained under G1/G2/G3 will not be to current standards so re-training/re-assessment will be required.
    I think the GID 5 year re-assessment covers this that is being launched this year. DGOBS is in more of a position to confirm whether it is included or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭agusta

I didnt think there was legislation that you have to be certified in electrical minor works..,I know that since the 1st october 2013 that only registered contractors may complete significant electrical work in residential premises and that minor works such as switches,sockets,lights fittings etc are not covered by the new legislation.I still do minor electrical works but it would be good to know that im covered 100 percent to do so

• Advertisement

Because your skills have not been tested under the electrical minor works within past 5 years. The skill set you obtained under G1/G2/G3 will not be to current standards so re-training/re-assessment will be required.
    I think the GID 5 year re-assessment covers this that is being launched this year. DGOBS is in more of a position to confirm whether it is included or not.
    I was actually thinking about dropping out of RGII due to the fact that I haven't gone near gas in over 12 years, and so I have such respect for the trade that I wouldn't employ or trust myself.

I only stayed regestered if due to the recession I might have to also go back to gas instulations & plumbing.

Luckily I'm as busy as ever with oil.

But would be interested in doing any updated course necessary for what I need, any recommendations that would be a appropate for my particular needs would be appreciated.
    Thanks.
    MD

agusta wrote: »
    I didnt think there was legislation that you have to be certified in electrical minor works..,I know that since the 1st october 2013 that only registered contractors may complete significant electrical work in residential premises and that minor works such as switches,sockets,lights fittings etc are not covered by the new legislation.I still do minor electrical works but it would be good to know that im covered 100 percent to do so
    You still need to be competent & competent in a court of law is somebody who is suitably trained, suitably qualified & suitably experienced.
    GID ticks the first two boxes.

I was actually thinking about dropping out of RGII due to the fact that I haven't gone near gas in over 12 years, and so I have such respect for the trade that I wouldn't employ or trust myself.

I only stayed regestered if due to the recession I might have to also go back to gas instulations & plumbing.

Luckily I'm as busy as ever with oil.

But would be interested in doing any updated course necessary for what I need, any recommendations that would be a appropate for my particular needs would be appreciated.
    Thanks.
    MD
    You can take a electrical minor works course as a stand alone course.
    The only downside of giving up your RGII is you will be booted out of the RGI Tech Forum & nobody has been banned as yet. Gary is still itching to get me out but my knowledge of his home address has kept me in there so far. :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭JohnnieK

You still need to be competent & competent in a court of law is somebody who is suitably trained, suitably qualified & suitably experienced.
    GID ticks the first two boxes.
    There will be a lot of RGI's in the doc if things were to come down to these two.

JohnnieK wrote: »
    There will be a lot of RGI's in the doc if things were to come down to these two.

Only with the latter. Suitably trained is the industry's governing body's acceptable & defined criteria. Suitably experienced is down to the individual.

• Advertisement

If I have to be removed from the RGII TECH FORUM so be it. I've no great problem with that, I totaly understand, but it's nice to know that there's a private forum for us to discuss important things. Its a pity that's its only RGII as I reckon there is a lot of good guys out there that don't do gas but would appreciate something similar and private. Any ideas ?

ps. still RGII till 31/12/14

Its a pity that's its only RGII as I reckon there is a lot of good guys out there that don't do gas but would appreciate something similar and private. Any ideas ?

I agree. I've always thought that it should be open to boiler service engineers, both oil & gas. I suppose it was to stop people getting information to work on gas when they are not RGI's but I think that could be overcome.

Advertisement