Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Banlist

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Gordon wrote: »
    One example of a drawback of having a publicly accessible list of nearly 70,000 account names and their corresponding ban reasons would be social media bleed. As people like to use similar usernames on multiple sites, their boards ban could be used against them elsewhere, or alternatively, someone else's boards ban could be used against them.

I think it's worth pointing out that the banlist is a throwback to boards' more heady days, created a number of years ago when we had less patience for timewasters and troublemakers and bit back more. If it was never created before, I don't think we'd entertain the idea if it was posed now. In fact, I think dev or regi created it on a whim for ****s and giggles iirc.

Got it. Never occurred to me.

I try to remember not to meddle in the affairs of wizards in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

MadsL wrote: »
    [Feel free to tell me to feck off at any point, you are Gordon, so I am already prostrate before thee]
    But how do custom messages appear then? ie "Re-reg to evade site ban (pip ellis/shirl588)"
    All of the reasons on the banlist right now are preset reasons apart from:
    Cross Posting/Crusading
    Re-reg to evade site ban (pip ellis/shirl588)
    We don't link to torrent sites on this site.
    sitw

All of the reasons on the banlist right now are preset reasons apart from:
    Cross Posting/Crusading
    Re-reg to evade site ban (pip ellis/shirl588)
    We don't link to torrent sites on this site.
    sitw

That was my point - but I guess most people for speed use the presets.

I'm surprised that 'Because Gordon wills it so' is not a preset by now :D

There are a number of reasons why we don't use the presets via modutils, we prefer to use modutils where possible.

BGWIS is covered by 'Ignored Mod Instruction". :)

BGWIS

This is a thing now isn't it. :D

Thread not wasted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83,120 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Can we assume that reporting a users sig with the report post function and specifying the report is about a user's nametag is a good way to get it to the right people?

Yeah, that's a good way of doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Overheal wrote: »
    Can we assume that reporting a users sig with the report post function and specifying the report is about a user's nametag is a good way to get it to the right people?

Presume so. Sigs run to admins and admins are the only ones able to remove tags.

MugMugs wrote: »
    Presume so. Sigs run to admins and admins are the only ones able to remove tags.

Look what they did to yours...

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

"For sensual massage"

• Advertisement

An File wrote: »
    "For sensual massage"

Thanks for the offer, when should I come over?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Look what they did to yours...

?

My sig and tag are fine.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Thanks for the offer, when should I come over?

Whenever my new razor needs honing. ;)

:pac:

An File wrote: »
    Whenever my new razor needs honing. ;)

:pac:

I didn't recognise you with your clothes on, sorry about that. Did you get your hair done? There's something different about you.

Honing for free if you run the postage :)

Mr Speedy wrote: »
    What is the record I wonder ?

Who cares.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,712 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Who cares.

Says the curtain-twitcher :D

Says the curtain-twitcher :D

In fairness, I said that a league of ban reasons would be interesting. A league of banned trolls is a terrible idea.

• Site Banned Posts: 2 BG wis band

Ah, I don't know. A league of re-regs with reason for original ban might be interesting, what was chemical burn banned for originally, for eg.

How do I make my point without being accused of being a troll?

This whole place seems to be crumbling down around the admins and they seem oblivious to it, or unwilling to do anything about it. Or maybe it's just me...

I see Mr E is moving up the ban league, another 300 or so to overtake Ruu?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

Is there a coding reason why banned accounts are removed from the "members" list?

vBulletin legacy issue? or because that is they way it is wanted?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

vB uses usergroups "registered user" "subscriber" "moderator" "banned by moderators" etc. An account can be a member of one or more groups.

The members list basically returns a list of accounts in the 'registered user' group - banned members aren't in that group.

• Advertisement

Probably a vbulletin legacy thing, or historic decision, as you can search for usernames of banned users on the top search function.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

you can search for usernames of banned users on the top search function.
    That's the most excellent heuristic search engine that Ross & Conor wrote - thankfully nothing to do with vB :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

Ah, I don't know. A league of re-regs with reason for original ban might be interesting, what was chemical burn banned for originally?

Pretty sure Chemical Burn was banned for being a re-reg. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

Pretty sure Chemical Burn was banned for being a re-reg. :pac:

There should really be a sticky at the top of the prison forum for Alcohol related "helplines" << Not the wording I was looking for but hopefully those in charge might get the jist.

Advertisement