Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Great Storm of Wednesday 12/02/2014

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Met Eireann have an orange warning for sea areas in their update. if its only orange out at sea it will be a while before a red warning over land..

The cloud head seems to be a bit further northeast than the ECM simulated image for 3pm. It might be a timing difference rather than a track difference though.

Looking very windy for Munster and south Leinster on this.

WIND-D2-118.png
    WIND-D2-119.png
    WIND-D2-120.png
    WIND-D2-121.png

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Around what time would we be expecting the storm to make landfall tomorrow?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Hooter23

The weather on TV there she said storm for the west and south (Munster & South Connaught) so Galway might get some of the strong winds too or nothing as we are very close to the center of the storm.........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Hooter23

Hooter23 wrote: »
    The weather on TV there she said storm for the west and south (Munster & South Connaught) so Galway might get some of the strong winds too or nothing as we are very close to the center of the storm.........

Theres a weather guy talking about 2014s weather on rte now
    Oh its Ken Ring......lol he said august would be the warmest Duh!

He also said there would be snow in 3rd week of febuary they should have asked him why he didnt warn us non stop storms this winter......

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Xenji wrote: »
    Around what time would we be expecting the storm to make landfall tomorrow?

According to yr.no , it will hit South-west Wexford between 1pm- 4pm Wednesday afternoon..........Gale force winds anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Ship already reporting sustained 50 knots wind to southeast of low centre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

Funny how there was lying snow in parts of Ireland before the 1839 "night of the big wind"... ;)

patneve2 wrote: »
    Funny how there was lying snow in parts of Ireland before the 1839 "night of the big wind"... ;)

this will be more 'morning/afternoon of the big wind' though (unless of course downgrades)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Mr Cumulonimbus

Compared to last night's 18Z run the 12Z WRF seems to be pushing the strongest winds south but still grazing the south coast.

nmmuk-11-24-0_yup3.png

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 194 ✭✭D.Campbell

this will be more 'morning/afternoon of the big wind' though (unless of course downgrades)
    sorry I'm at bit confussed is this tmw morning/afternoon or Thursdays thanks your posts are so interesting and informative

Just to add to Mr_C's post in case it confuses people with no wind over much of the land.

Even the GFS which is a little south of the Hirlam / UKM / ECMWF solution brings a swathe of very strong winds over the country later in the day!

That's 120 km/hr gusts moving into Dublin region tomorrow evening.

nmmuk-11-28-0.png?11-18

D.Campbell wrote: »
    sorry I'm at bit confussed is this tmw morning/afternoon or Thursdays thanks your posts are so interesting and informative

This is tomorrow, i agree the thread title should be changed to illustrate this, it is confusing considering the storm will have exited before Thursday!

D.Campbell wrote: »

I think you are are confusing me for Maq! the experts here believe its tomorrow morning before it will hit and continue tomorrow afternoon/evening depending where you live. of course you should stay tuned for updates as its track is not certain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

My ideas for tomorrow:
    The south coast could easily get 140/150 kmh gusts tomorrow (could be worse if track changes)
    Dublin I'm going more for 110/120 kmh gusts but could be slightly worse if track changes

There are some similarities....

2vrBNpu.png

I think you are are confusing me for Maq! the experts here believe its tomorrow morning before it will hit and continue tomorrow afternoon/evening depending where you live. of course you should stay tuned for updates as its track is not certain.
    yes you are right Im in the South in Cork :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Mr Cumulonimbus

12Z Euro4 at +24 and +27 hours. Noticeably strong winds in the first chart for the SW.

14021212_2_1112.gif

14021215_2_1112.gif

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

there's been so many storms forecast over the past few weeks, do you think that there's a danger of the met office calling wolf

• Advertisement

philstar wrote: »
    there's been so many storms forecast over the past few weeks, do you think that there's a danger of the met office calling wolf

Met Eireann have been very accurate in their forecasts but sometimes people read newspaper headlines who predict doomsday scenarios to sell papers and think its the Met who are supplying this info.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,533 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

philstar wrote: »

That would be great,since the week of the 18th dec ,there's been nothing but bloody storms.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭downwiththatsor

The Eagle played it cool on Radio 1 now, orange alert no storminess stressed.

Cant believe that forecast on Radio 1!

- Seriously inadequate for what is inbound for Ireland tomorrow.

The Eagle played it cool on Radio 1 now, orange alert no storminess stressed.

in the short range what do met eireann rely on? is it hirlam or a combination?

ECMWF says a big Yes to a significant storm

-- What's the Eagle playing at?

ECM1-24.GIF?11-0

ECU1-24.GIF?11-0

• Registered Users Posts: 14,287 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

The winds have moved further south in some models though haven't they?

Any mention of Force 11 has now been removed from the latest sea area forecast. It was in the previous two forecasts.

Not sure why...perhaps the latest HARMONIE is showing a weaker low/more southerly track?

Cant believe that forecast on Radio 1!

- Seriously inadequate for what is inbound for Ireland tomorrow.
    TV3 said 130klm at most

• Advertisement

Any mention of Force 11 has now been removed from the latest sea area forecast. It was in the previous two forecasts.

Not sure why...perhaps the latest HARMONIE is showing a weaker low/more southerly track?

I'm a little taken a back by it. They could have a serious back lash tomorrow.

The ECMWF is extreme, the EURO4 has sustained 70mph winds touching Valentia!

Advertisement