Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Great Storm of Wednesday 12/02/2014

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

sunbabe08 wrote: »
    think she really wanted to run around the place screaming there's a hurricane coming. PANIC PANIC

:P

She strikes me as being a genuine weather enthusiast, so she probably had to restrain herself. Maybe trying that 'reverse psychology' trick.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

sunbabe08 wrote: »
    think she really wanted to run around the place screaming there's a hurricane coming. PANIC PANIC :P

A few days ago I ran my own simulation and was surprised to see a fairly violent event in a period where we were expecting nothing more than miserable weather, I stopped watching and ignored this thread, until two days ago and I saw possibly the strongest storm to hit us of the season so far.

I had previously thought that the worst was over, and we would be treated to wet, windy miserable weather for a few more weeks but nothing spectacular ~ I concur with the Michael Fish award nomination.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,946 ✭✭✭✭Villain

She mentioned up to 140km/h in an interview for Radio News at 6pm

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    She strikes me as being a genuine weather enthusiast, so she probably had to restrain herself. Maybe trying that 'reverse psychology' trick.

totally agree with you there :D love her forecasts

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

So, with that in mind, the Postman is 'probably' a better forecaster then?

I say that as the aforementioned Met Eireann official forecaster has previously been shown in unprofessional light denouncing animals weather signals and saying that Postman Pat was a cartoon.

I don't like either in an official meteorologist.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

And we have a Level 3 - Right call in my opinion.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,987 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

If she was not in hear reading this, I'd be very surprised.

Hi Evelyn. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭howlinwolf

I thought she awfully casual considering. Really as this will be hitting during daytime hours when there are kids going to school and coming home etc I think they might do well to err on the side of caution.

She mentioned the orange warning in relation to South and west but gave no indication that high winds were expected in the west at all.

have to say met eireann have handled this stormy month or two ....its been going on so long i cant remember......period very well, if they feel its not time to press the panic button just yet who are we to argue, there are still a lot of things that can change between now and early in the mornings....i think personally the 9pm weather will be the key call....if met see anything to warn people about then they really have to say it then as it will be the last weather report a large percentage of the country will see till the morning and by then you would imagine it will be too late......next few hours will be very interesting:)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,987 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

howlinwolf wrote: »
    i think personally the 9pm weather will be the key call....if met see anything to warn people about then they really have to say it then

Agreed. Tough call. They simply cannot issue Level 3 warnings willy nilly.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭Macy0161

DOCARCH wrote: »
    If she was not in hear reading this, I'd be very surprised.

Hi Evelyn. :)
    Rubbish.

Not while there's a snow thread.

• Advertisement

Met Eireann don't issue Red warnings easily if they think its warranted based on data and their experience they will issue one.

The forecast after 9pm news will be based on latest data so expect more confidence and detail...in the mean time start battening down those hatches if you live near the South or South West coasts!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Going on consultation with some members and what guidance we currently have I have changed the title and upgraded the warning , with not being a professional operation we can afford this luxury ,

This is something that ME can not do , they need to feel something is pretty much nailed on before putting out such a warning as it could cause undue stress and panic for folks who depend on them.

This is a pretty fluid situation and the warning level will be assessed on that basis .

Oh dear latest High Res shows nasty gusts for Dublin

293395.png

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Scotty15

Villain wrote: »

293395.png

Will we expect gusts as nasty as that in North Carlow ??

Scotty15 wrote: »

In short, Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭red_bairn

Villain wrote: »

As long as I get to work tomorrow by foot or by air, I don't care! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

A common theme on this forum is for people to be giving out about the met downplaying events only for them to turn out right, if they feel this deserves a level 3 warning then they'll issue one when they're sure of it

Windstorms generally don't cause too much damage in this country during the winter so I wouldn't expect anything too dramatic, the main thing is to get the word out for people to prepare and not take any risks, hopefully it won't be too bad though obviously a bit worrying if it's hitting population centres

Scotty15 wrote: »
    I'm thinking up to 120km/h but maybe even a little higher in exposed areas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Weathering

BBC graphics seem to indicate a long period of heavy snow tomorrow for NW Ireland

Weathering wrote: »
    BBC graphics seem to indicate a long period of heavy snow tomorrow for NW Ireland

good god is ther anything else that we could get this winter:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭SeaBreezes

Hi, long time lurker first time post. Just wanted to say thank you guys for the fantastic work ye do, and sharing your expertise so generously on this forum. I am an avid fan, and live near the old head of kinsale. So grateful for the warnings, the outside is as secure as i can make it.. Wouldnt like to be trying to windproof the polytunnel and trampoline in the dark after the 9pm forecast! Fingers crossed tomorrow wont be too severe, but better prepared for the worst and hoping for the best :-)

SeaBreezes wrote: »
    Hi, long time lurker first time post. Just wanted to say thank you guys for the fantastic work ye do, and sharing your expertise so generously on this forum. I am an avid fan, and live near the old head of kinsale. So grateful for the warnings, the outside is as secure as i can make it.. Wouldnt like to be trying to windproof the polytunnel and trampoline in the dark after the 9pm forecast! Fingers crossed tomorrow wont be too severe, but better prepared for the worst and hoping f

welcome seabreeze

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Wine Goddess

Welcome Seabreezes and strap yourself on for the ride! (On the forum I mean! )

Shocking we have no operational buoys out to our west/ southwest.

Very poor form meaning critical data could be missed in the development of this storm.

Fortunately we have the satellite data but could do with some surface Obs.

- We really are going to have very little idea of the actual surface wind to the south of the low until it nears shore in the morning.

Our only hope is we get a sat-cast of wind in the morning.

understandably all the talk has been focused on the wind potenial with this storm but i was wondering, with the fields looking more like swimming pools and the rivers maxed out what kind of rainfall percentages are we looking at from this system tomorrow, going by earlier posts it seems that it will cross the country quite fast so will that deminish the rainfall amount?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

understandably all the talk has been focused on the wind potenial with this storm but i was wondering, with the fields looking more like swimming pools and the rivers maxed out what kind of rainfall percentages are we looking at from this system tomorrow, going by earlier posts it seems that it will cross the country quite fast so will that deminish the rainfall amount?

Probably up to around 20mm in general with higher amounts along the west coast.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭SeaBreezes

Welcome Seabreezes and strap yourself on for the ride! (On the forum I mean! )

Lol!! :-) glass of wine in hand.. Ready!

The storm is now undergoing rapid development to our west.

image2.ashx?region=eu&ir=true

good god is ther anything else that we could get this winter:(
    A sandstorm followed by a typhoon or two! :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 noela122

Any snow for Dublin tommorow

Advertisement