Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Great Storm of Wednesday 12/02/2014

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

howlinwolf wrote: »
    good god is ther anything else that we could get this winter:(

Snow. Lots and lots of snow :)

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭winterwonder

Wind and rain just after picking up in west cork, guess it's on its way :(

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭murdig

What should we be expecting in Kerry tomorrow?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

murdig wrote: »
    What should we be expecting in Kerry tomorrow?

likely storm force winds

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

I'm having bad luck with the aul' flights this winter, flying to Madrid tomorrow at 13:35, anyone want to take bets on actually taking off at that time?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,189 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I'm having bad luck with the aul' flights this winter, flying to Madrid tomorrow at 13:35, anyone want to take bets on actually taking off at that time?

From Dublin at that timr Id say youll get away. Wear dark jocks though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭yllw.ldbttr

I have to drive Cork - Dublin at 6 AM tomorrow and Dublin - Cork at around 3.30 PM tomorrow.

Not looking good for this commute is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭Birroc

Probably up to around 20mm in general with higher amounts along the west coast.

And will any of that be snow?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Red Pepper

I have to drive Cork - Dublin at 6 AM tomorrow and Dublin - Cork at around 3.30 PM tomorrow.

Not looking good for this commute is it?

Cork-Dub is all motorway (I think) and mostly inland. No large trees to worry about. I personally would do it but I have to travel a lot so I am not easily put off. Both hands on the wheel and drive @60mph to be safe. Helps if you have a big/heavy car. Roads should be relatively quiet too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭yllw.ldbttr

Red Pepper wrote: »
    Cork-Dub is all motorway (I think) and mostly inland. No large trees to worry about. I personally would do it but I have to travel a lot so I am not easily put off. Both hands on the wheel and drive @60mph to be safe. Helps if you have a big/heavy car. Roads should be relatively quiet too.

5 series diesel, a small bit of caution and I should be grand.
    More worried about "other" drivers who've no clue how to drive in any bit of rain and wind etc...

Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,946 ✭✭✭✭Villain

It's the high sided vehicles that get blown out in front you that are the main issue.

5 series diesel, a small bit of caution and I should be grand.
    More worried about "other" drivers who've no clue how to drive in any bit of rain and wind etc...

Thanks.

Fill the tank, a 5 series with 70 litres of diesel is a lot of weight to shift.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

18Z HIRLAM looks even stronger than the 12Z.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

18z Hirlam even worse?

tuul19.png

tuul21.png

tuul23.png

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Steopo

The impact of these storms seem to have been picking their way around the country starting with North West back in Dec, then we had Galway, Clare, Limerick, Cork, Waterford - maybe the surprise this time could be the strength of the winds on East Coast & Dublin who are probably less battle hardened than South West - not that I believe in conspiracy theories

While the obvious dangers of a red wind alert is falling trees there is the added danger of it happening during work hours in busy urban areas where cyclists falling into traffic, scaffolding not secured etc.. all become extra dangers. So take heed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

Looks like there will be an interval of storm force winds in Dublin too, strong gale if we want to be very conservative

• Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

RTE now for the forecast...come on Evelyn!! say it out!! lol

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Look at this, a 70 knot wind barb on the southwest coast!!!!!

tuul17.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭downonthefarm

Flying out from knock in the morn.@9
    Not looking good

• Registered Users Posts: 14,287 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

A little bit more info from Evelyn there but she is still pretty calm about it all!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

there wont be any problems flying from knock tomorrow morning. a bumpy flight on takeoff or for those on the inbound with a gusty wind
    1208/1211 10018G30KT 3000 RASN BKN007. with rain/snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭irishharper

hey guys,
    first time poster here but have followed this thread religiously through the winter storms so thank you for all the information and help throughout the awful weather!
    What is the weather like for Limerick tomorrow, from what I'm reading here things aren't sounding good?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

leahyl wrote: »
    A little bit more info from Evelyn there but she is still pretty calm about it all!!

She did finish by saying there would be some "really quite severe" weather. Mentioned 140km/h gusts too. Strong words enough, but only an orange warning still.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,088 ✭✭✭pauldry

Evelyn called it as a force 10 storm with violent storm force 11 on south coast, Id tend to agree

Id say she's accurate with winds of 130 to 140kph

Only trouble is some areas are getting winds that they are not used to

Like Dublin and cork not mace and malin

Thats a concern

Take care everyone

leahyl wrote: »

Yeah I find her reassuring no matter what the weather and I do believe she does the research and generally gets it right.
    Orange I think because only half the country will extreme violent gusts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Hooter23

I think it was still only an orange alert for tomorrow they are goin to be in big trouble tomorrow when its too late ......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Mr Cumulonimbus

The animation sequence for the depression seemed to show winds on it's SW flank reaching 112 kmh before the graphic settled on 100 for the initial part of the storm over Kerry and Cork.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Probably better to be calm in fairness. She was very clear about the strength of the winds and the heavy rain for tomorrow. Not sure what else she is meant to say. We are an island at the edge of the Atlantic strong winds and heavy rain comes invariably to our shores. Its a cause to be sensible but hardly to evacuate the country or go onto lock down mode.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭aboyro

I get the feeling that eveyln dos'nt want to have her micheal fish moment. Are we at risk of leaving this to the last minute for a real warning. i'm worried about the wind during normal daytime activity hours?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Mr Cumulonimbus

Zone of strongest gusts slightly more south on the latest GFS?

18-289UK_gwk0.GIF

21-289UK_syp8.GIF

Advertisement