Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Great Storm of Wednesday 12/02/2014

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭howlinwolf

ElizaT33 wrote: »
    Was just outside my house - the speed of the clouds up above is serious! Very strange weather - very angry weather ....! (Feel so sorry for the birds .. am feeding them probably FAR too much)!
    maybe the birds are moving so slow because your feeding them so much that its making the clouds look like there moving so fast:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Tactical wrote: »
    After that meeting we should hold a Sobra meeting.....

Snow Office Briefing Room A......... = SOBRA :)

A very short meeting!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Good source for HIRLAM charts, anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

sdeire wrote: »
    Good source for HIRLAM charts, anyone?

http://www.emhi.ee/index.php?ide=19,394,416,419

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Cheers.

One look at those shows a sustained glut of wind at a mean speed over 30m/s (100km/h) - not to rub salt in the colour-coded warning debate but met's own guidelines say a level 3 / red warning should be issued when winds in excess of 80km/h are expected.

Worth mentioning as it's a big difference (albeit only one model)?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Orange warning

293431.PNG

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Steopo

40knt winds just coming into view on short range forecast (Hirlam) @ 6am, shortly after is when the event will kick off in the very southwest. Heavy rain also arriving around this time.

http://www.met.ie/forecasts/short-range.asp

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    293431.PNG

We want a ketchup bottle from met Eireann..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭corsav6

How will mayo fare out during this storm? We had an interesting day with rain, wind, sunshine and snow. Very chilly here today too.

corsav6 wrote: »
    How will mayo fare out during this storm? We had an interesting day with rain, wind, sunshine and snow. Very chilly here today too.

All parts of the country likely to experience some very gusty conditions for a couple of hours at least tomorrow. Don't be fooled by an early afternoon calm.

New Moon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

What time is the bad weather set to hit Dublin. I have to collect my small guy from school tomorrow and it is a half our walk on a good day :(

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭ElizaT33

howlinwolf wrote: »
    maybe the birds are moving so slow because your feeding them so much that its making the clouds look like there moving so fast:)
    The birds aren't moving slow?? Just the clouds moving fast .... ! Can I explain it in any more detail that you might need? If I can, it will be my pleasure:)

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭cyclops999

M4 buoy @ 22.00 hrs wind speed 29 gusts 44 kts

• Registered Users Posts: 20,362 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

howlinwolf wrote: »

He's weighing the birds down with food so they don't get blown away :D

It's pretty bad that there is no buoy covering the southwest approach of this. Met Office K2 buoy and Met Eireann's M3 buoy both out of action.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

It's pretty bad that there is no buoy covering the southwest approach of this. Met Office K2 buoy and Met Eireann's M3 buoy both out of action.

Shocking, as i was saying earlier, we are really not going to be any the wiser on surface conditions near the low centre until it hits land tomorrow morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

I'll be in cork city all day so will keep ye posted.
    Looks severe but so localised you can hardly blame the met

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,372 Mod ✭✭✭✭andrew

How is it that the air is cold enough for some snow/sleet? I thought that we only ever got snow when we had air coming in from the North/Northeast, but these lows are bringing in air from the Atlantic, which ought to be relatively warm? How is cold air getting into these systems?

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Birtles

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/marine-shipping-forecast/#?tab=map&fcTime=1392076800

Still giving worst sea conditions in Shannon shipping area. Although the 11pm update has not been published yet. 5 am one should be interesting.

Shocking, as i was saying earlier, we are really not going to be any the wiser on surface conditions near the low centre until it hits land tomorrow morning.

Could be something similar to '97.

q5kRQaH.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Snowc

wolfpawnat wrote: »
    What time is the bad weather set to hit Dublin. I have to collect my small guy from school tomorrow and it is a half our walk on a good day :(

On the bright side you will have the wind to your back on your way home so it should shorten your journey by about 20 mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭ian_m

corsav6 wrote: »
    How will mayo fare out during this storm?
    We want a ketchup bottle from met Eireann..

Orange, mayo and ketchup all on the same page... you'd be forgiven for thinking you were in the cooking and recipes forum.

Could be something similar to '97.

Remember it well.vicious gusts and completely unprepared for it.

ian_m wrote: »
    Orange, mayo and ketchup all on the same page... you'd be forgiven for thinking you were in the cooking and recipes forum.

Brewing up a storm..bit of music thrown in as well for you!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭red_bairn

ian_m wrote: »

This now has to be created lol.

YR.NO's 12z (no 18z output from this model) mean wind speed contours during peak (around 5pm) Slightly more conservative than its Estonian sister model but still pretty strong for areas likely to be affected. (speed is in knots)

293443.PNG

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭howlinwolf

Rikand wrote: »
    He's weighing the birds down with food so they don't get blown away :D

dont think they got the joke:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

A very short meeting!

Yes, we could then go out and play in the snow :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Mr Cumulonimbus

18Z Euro4. SW still in the firing line initially.

14021212_2_1118.gif

14021215_2_1118.gif

14021218_2_1118.gif

• Advertisement

18Z EURO4 showing the very strong winds that will be possible along the exposed southwest coast around noon....if this model is right that is.

These are sustained winds in mph.

Pink : 70
    Red : 75
    Small area of dark red south of Cork coast : 80

dmtkjEU.png

Valentia's maximum 10 minute mean wind is 66 mph set in September 1961. Will it be broken tomorrow? We'll see...

Advertisement