Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Great Storm of Wednesday 12/02/2014

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

great charts as always from weathercheck and tonight Mr.Cumulonimbus. keep it up!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Look how far this swathe of sustained severe gales get inland. Not seen that before on this model.

14021215_1118.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Mr Cumulonimbus

What are we looking at for the Dublin region then? Approx 3pm to 5pm or so for highest winds. Mean speeds 40+ mph, gusts 75+?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Look how far this swathe of sustained severe gales get inland. Not seen that before on this model.

14021215_1118.gif

Yeah, quite like the HIRLAM now. Confidence is fairly high with both hi-res models showing something similar.

Satellite watching from here on.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,513 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Comparison to Feb 26-27 1903 storm that brought destructive storm force winds inland across south and east continues to concern me.

Assume the central pressure on this was lower (960 mbs) as one historical account mentions a lower pressure in Scotland than the next day's map would support. Even so, it then looks very similar to the 09z model output for the approaching storm.

True that we have no working marine obs (ships are clearing out of the path too not surprisingly) but the pressure falls will tell us quite a lot as well as the satellite imagery. I am fully expecting this to overperform slightly from research data, and would urge anyone south of the track to remain very alert as level 3 conditions could spread inland and develop on the east coast briefly as the storm exits.

Anyway, that 1903 storm (known as the "Ulysses" storm due to a reference in Joyce's novel) produced significant tree losses from Birr to Dublin. I assume looking at the isobars and reports of the timing of damage (04-06h) that it had this tight gradient on the southwest flank. This storm was also powerful enough to blow a passenger train off the tracks in Lancashire.

293448.gif

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭northgirl

Flights below from Cork cancelled tomorrow due to forecasted bad weather

London Heathrow Aer Lingus BA5912 12/02 11:50 Cancelled
    London Heathrow Aer Lingus EI712 12/02 11:50 Cancelled

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Birtles

Comparison to Feb 26-27 1903 storm that brought destructive storm force winds inland across south and east continues to concern me.

Assume the central pressure on this was lower (960 mbs) as one historical account mentions a lower pressure in Scotland than the next day's map would support. Even so, it then looks very similar to the 09z model output for the approaching storm.

True that we have no working marine obs (ships are clearing out of the path too not surprisingly) but the pressure falls will tell us quite a lot as well as the satellite imagery. I am fully expecting this to overperform slightly from research data, and would urge anyone south of the track to remain very alert as level 3 conditions could spread inland and develop on the east coast briefly as the storm exits.

Anyway, that 1903 storm (known as the "Ulysses" storm due to a reference in Joyce's novel) produced significant tree losses from Birr to Dublin. I assume looking at the isobars and reports of the timing of damage (04-06h) that it had this tight gradient on the southwest flank. This storm was also powerful enough to blow a passenger train off the tracks in Lancashire.

293448.gif

Met office uk are forecasting this to be centered over Scotland by 6pm with a 956 low on latest marine forecast 23.25
    http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/marine-shipping-forecast/#?tab=map

• Registered Users Posts: 36,152 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

14021215_1118.gif

warning.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

293448.gif

"O yes, J.J. O'Molloy said eagerly. Lady Dudley was walking home through the park to see all the trees that were blown down by that cyclone last year and thought she'd buy a view of Dublin."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭Says I To Bridey

I remember that 1997 storm, one of my parents said something along the lines of 'i hope santa will be able to make it in this weather' and I was terrified he wouldn't come :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

patneve2 wrote: »
    "O yes, J.J. O'Molloy said eagerly. Lady Dudley was walking home through the park to see all the trees that were blown down by that cyclone last year and thought she'd buy a view of Dublin."

I just google'd Ulysses storm there too.
    Did you know theres a band by the same name?
    Me neither;)

On a serious note, there were a lot of trees down during that storm and some damage etc.
    I wonder how (if the same scenario comes off of course)how our newer, more populated areas will handle things?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

An old Met Office report states that pressure fell below 28.3 inches (958 mb) over the north or Ireland as that low passed over and that winds were of 'unusual severity' over Ireland. No actual wind speeds given for here but gusts of between 80 - 90 mph over parts of UK, so can assume at least the same for this side of the pond.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/media/pdf/l/e/Feb1903.pdf

Quite an anticyclonic month otherwise.

New Moon

Birtles wrote: »
    Met office uk are forecasting this to be centered over Scotland by 6pm with a 956 low on latest marine forecast 23.25
    http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/marine-shipping-forecast/#?tab=map

2315 forecast:
    Shannon: South becoming cyclonic then west 7 to severe gale 9, increasing storm 10 to hurricane force 12 for a time.

Lundy: West or southwest 7 to severe gale 9, increasing storm 10 or violent storm 11 for a time

Irish Sea: South or southwest 6 to gale 8 increasing severe gale 9 to violent storm 11.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

293448.gif
    also back then they built their homes on sheltered side of hills, we built them on top of them, thank god that most of it will be in daylight hours,

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭F-Stop

I remember that 1997 storm, one of my parents said something along the lines of 'i hope santa will be able to make it in this weather' and I was terrified he wouldn't come :mad:

Me too, apart from a few slates coming off the roof, the porch door blew open and one of the dogs got a leg off the turkey.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭jkforde

yowsa, uk met forecasting 'increasing hurricane force 12 later' in Shannon in tonight's 2325 shipping update

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

F-Stop wrote: »
    Me too, apart from a few slates coming off the roof, the porch door blew open and one of the dogs got a leg off the turkey.

Brilliant!!! :D:D:D

M.E. sea area forecast issued at 2230 has violent storm force 11 winds for a time from Carnsore Point to Mizen Head to Loop Head.

http://www.met.ie/forecasts/sea-area.asp

Sea Area Forecast until 2400 Wednesday 12 February 2014

Issued at 2400 Tuesday 11 February 2014

Meteorological situation at 2100: A strong, unstable westerly airflow over Ireland moderates and backs southerly. A depression in mid-Atlantic is deepening rapidly and is tracking towards Ireland. It will move in over the country during the day and track to the northeast later.
    Wind: forecast for Irish coastal waters from Carnsore Point to Mizen Head to Loop Head: South to southeast force 7 or gale force 8 and gusty imminent. Winds will increase gale force 8 to storm force 10 later tonight and early Wednesday morning. Winds will then veer southwest to westerly and will increase storm force 10 or violent storm force 11, with some severe gusts. Winds will decrease westerly force 7 to strong gale force 9 by early evening and will further moderate force 6 to gale force 8 later.
    Wind: forecast for Irish coastal waters from Loop Head to Malin Head to Belfast Lough : Southwest to westerly force 6 or 7 and gusty. Backing south to southeast overnight and increasing force 7 or gale force 8 and gusty. Winds becoming cyclonic variable during the morning, but westerly strong gale force 9 or storm force 10 winds, with some severe gusts, will develop for the afternoon and evening. Wind will decrease west to southwest force 7 or gale force 8 later.
    Wind: forecast for Irish coastal waters from Belfast Lough to Howth Head to Carnsore Point and the Irish Sea: Westerly force 6 or 7 and gusty, backing southeasterly overnight and increasing gale force 8 or strong gale force 9 and gusty in the early morning. Winds will veer southwesterly by afternoon and will increase strong gale force 9 to storm force 10 and blustery. Wind will veer westerly later and gradually decrease force 7 or gale force 8.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭aisling86

Just got this.....macroom cork

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Aww.
    I still remember the pale face of my 5 year old cousin that day after an older boy next door told him that an elf had fallen out of Santas sleigh in the wind and was now dead in a garden down the road from them. Naturally Christmas was to be cancelled and many questions of elf funerals ensued.
    Even though I was quite a lot older the whole storm seemed more ominous for it.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Steopo

This storm was also powerful enough to blow a passenger train off the tracks in Lancashire.

Ah no this is going to play on my mind crossing Malahide Estuary tomorrow, always wondered if a train could be blown off the tracks there as its so exposed.

Anyway I'm sure the winds won't be that strong in Dublin & technology has come a long way on trains since 1903, hasn't it ??

On a more serious note I think Kinsale Energy recorded 79knts gust in recent weeks but strong chance tomorrow it will break the 100 mark

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

Cork City Council SMS alert warning of severe weather just got sent out there at 12:08am
    Severe Weather Warning : Code Level Red

Stormy conditions will affect Cork and Kerry during Wednesday.
    Southerly winds of 60 to 70 km/h will gust to 120 km/h., will veer westerly by late morning. Winds will increase 75 to 85km/h and will gust 130 to 160 km/h. High Seas also.

Valid from 06:00 Wednesday 12-February-2014 until 15:00 Wednesday 12-February-2014

http://www.corkcity.ie/sw

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Steopo wrote: »
    Ah no this is going to play on my mind crossing Malahide Estuary tomorrow, always wondered if a train could be blown off the tracks there as its so exposed.

Anyway I'm sure the winds won't be that strong in Dublin & technology has come a long way on trains since 1903, hasn't it ??

You're talking about a bridge which collapsed as a train crossed it a few years ago.

Bring spare jocks :P

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

SpaceTime wrote: »
    Cork City Council SMS alert warning of severe weather just got sent out there at 12:08am

Who does that get sent to? Cheers, don't see update on site as of yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

SpaceTime wrote: »

160kph = 99mph :eek:

Met Eireann's website still has the orange warning up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

Who does that get sent to? Cheers, don't see update on site as of yet.

Anyone who registers. It's a free service.

http://www.corkcity.ie/smsregister/

What annoys me about it though is they've stopped sending the text of the alerts in the SMS itself and just keep sending messages referring to http://www.corkcity.ie/sw

That's great, if you've a smartphone with internet access. It kind of defeats the purpose of SMS alerts though!

WRF 18Z run. Wind gusts prediction. Like the other models, high winds getting well inland.

nmmuk-11-19-0_ahr8.png

nmmuk-11-23-0_hrc4.png

Severe Weather Warning : Code Level Red Stormy conditions will affect Cork and Kerry during Wednesday.Southerly winds of 60 to 70 km/h will gust to 120 km/h., will veer westerly by late morning. Winds will increase 75 to 85km/h and will gust 130 to 160 km/h. High Seas also.Valid from 06:00 Wednesday 12-February-2014 until 15:00 Wednesday 12-February-2014

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

RTE Radio 1 weather forecast at 11.55pm upgraded COASTAL Cork and Kerry to status RED.

Advertisement