Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Great Storm of Wednesday 12/02/2014

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Steopo

Looks like Met.ie updating, code Red coming

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

rc28 wrote: »
    160kph = 99mph :eek:

Met Eireann's website still has the orange warning up.

no longer up at all. obviously typing it up now.

suddenly quite scared down here in Cork

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

Cork City Council became pretty proactive about public service information on weather situations since the major floods back in 2009.

There are SMS alerts, email alerts and also electronic signs with information all over the city's main routes.

The main issue they try to avoid is people parking in low-lying areas as cars can be completely destroyed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

Red warning about to go up on Met's site.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

ME must be updating the warning now

293456.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,088 ✭✭✭pauldry

they mustv listened to uk met report and thought ..oh oh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭yellowlabrador

What I remember of the 1997 storm is how long it lasted. I was living on a farm not far from the Cousane Gap in West Cork. I had to help hand milk the cows by hurricane lamp for a week. Xmas day was nearly as bad with heavy rain. We had to trek round the farm and over a bog to check on cattle. Xmas dinner never got cooked and my children didn't open their presents till St Stephens day. No electricity for a week and quite a bit of damage to sheds and trees.
    I'm now dreading this storm and I wish they'd close the schools at least. The only time we have traffic in town is at school time and it would do no harm to keep people safe. In the 1997 storm the smaller roads were closed due to tree falls.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Looks like Red Warning about to go up on site.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Mr Cumulonimbus

Severe Weather Warning : Code Level Red Stormy conditions will affect Cork and Kerry during Wednesday.Southerly winds of 60 to 70 km/h will gust to 120 km/h., will veer westerly by late morning. Winds will increase 75 to 85km/h and will gust 130 to 160 km/h. High Seas also.Valid from 06:00 Wednesday 12-February-2014 until 15:00 Wednesday 12-February-2014

Wheres this Maq? On the M.E. site?

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Birtles

http://www.met.ie/sat/euro-ir.asp

0.00 satellite on Met now.

Really starting to form....

• Advertisement

I hope I battened the hatches down sufficiently!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

100mph gusts are not often seen; structural damage tomorrow for some.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

SpaceTime wrote: »
    I hope I battened the hatches down sufficiently!

I'd say there may very well be a need for a lot of battens down that way :(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Weather Warning : Code Level Orange Stormy weather will affect Waterford, Wexford during Wednesday. Southerly winds of 60 to 70 km/h will gust to 110 km/h. Winds will veer southwest to westerly by late morning and will increase winds 60 to 70 km/h and gust 120 to 130 km/h.Valid from 09:00 Wednesday 12-February-2014 until 17:00 Wednesday 12-February-2014

• Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭jirafa

1800275_481033365335003_683996541_n.png

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭miseagustusa

Oh the thoughts of doing the school runs tomorrow :o maybe I'll be sick in the morning :P .......... What time do u recon the strongest winds will hit arklow/Gorey at????

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭Daffodil.d

Waterfords warning is still orange. Just got the text ten minutes ago from map alerter Met Eireann has issued a Level Orange Weather Warning (Wind) for your area. See www.met.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,196 ✭✭✭pad199207

Can anybody give me a name for this storm. I've heard of Darwin and Tini....

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Birtles

Very light breeze currently. Moon still visible through misty cloud. Hard to believe this is on the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭bajer101

Any indications yet if the "Stingjet" phenomenon is a possibility?

• Advertisement

How may storms has this been so far in this conveyor belt system?
    I'm starting to lose track!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

National Weather Warnings

STATUS RED

Wind Warning for Cork and Kerry
    Stormy conditions will affect Cork and Kerry during Wednesday.
    Southerly winds of 60 to 70 km/h will gust to 120 km/h and will veer westerly by late morning. Winds will increase 75 to 85 km/h and will gust 130 to 160 km/h. High Seas also

Issued:Tuesday 11 February 2014 11:00
    Valid:Wednesday 12 February 2014 06:00 to Wednesday 12 February 2014 15:00

Daffodil.d wrote: »
    Waterfords warning is still orange. Just got the text ten minutes ago from map alerter Met Eireann has issued a Level Orange Weather Warning (Wind) for your area. See www.met.ie.

Yes, up to 130 km'h for Waterford/Wexford.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

oh i just have the jaw's theme tune playing in my head.

be safe every body

level red has been put up on met eireann

There is the RED now , only Cork and Kerry at the moment , must be typing the rest up

293457.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭Cogsy88

Met eireann gone to red warning for cork and Kerry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Mr Cumulonimbus

M.E. homepage now carrying a status Red warning.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

ME must be updating the warning now

293456.png

Just saw the no warning myself and thought the same. I would imagine a level 2.5 warning for the Waterford coast. I think this is the huge storm that has been threatening to hit since this train of storms started.

Quick, everybody post the same thing. :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭miseagustusa

"The same thing"

Advertisement