Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Great Storm of Wednesday 12/02/2014

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

when was the last level red storm,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

Met Eireann must have contacted media and councils about this, Red warning is now the main headline on RTE news.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭greedygoblin

Birtles wrote: »
    Very light breeze currently. Moon still visible through misty cloud. Hard to believe this is on the way.

Absolutely. There's hardly a puff of wind here (mid Cork). Looks like conditions will escalate quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

lets hope that all will be safe and well,
    thanks everyone for this important information,

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Steopo

What prompted Met E to issue Red Warning at 12.30am rather than at 9pm- did they have a another model run, was it within the range of the short term forecast or did they want to hold off as long as possible given the uncertainty?

Not having a go at them, just curious on views

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Mr Cumulonimbus

A very good size audience after midnight in mid week!

293458.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭aisling86

Absolutely. There's hardly a puff of wind here (mid Cork). Looks like conditions will escalate quickly.

Totally agree it's very quiet here in Macroom

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

They must be re typing the Orange Warnings for other regions as its just a Red for Cork and Kerry showing on their website currently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

Timing seems to be 6am onwards. It could present very dangerous driving conditions for long-distance commuters / people starting early shifts in Cork City / Suburbs as it will kick off before the wake up / as they're leaving home.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

I think it's a been few years since the last warning for gusts to 160 km/h, and that was for western/northwestern parts - not the south.

I'm imagine Cork City would be somewhat sheltered from the worst of these winds due to the direction?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

A very good size audience after midnight in mid week!

293458.jpg

In a non-snow event ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭jirafa

http://warnings.severe-weather-ireland.com/index.html

Severe weather warning level violet because of severe gale/storm
    valid from: Wed Feb 12, 2014 06:00 am
    valid to: Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:00 am
    valid for: all elevations

Severe weather warning (violet level) because of severe gale with more than 130 km/h, valid from Wednesday, 12.02. 06:00 till Thursday, 13.02. 00:00.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,196 ✭✭✭pad199207

Starting to wind up nicely now out there. She'll be looking sweet in the morning!

038A0D4F520242ABB04270FFB60111F5-0000334566-0003498843-00800L-BDB08C04E33C47B6B5967CB0A49128FC.jpg

I think it's a been few years since the last warning for gusts to 160 km/h, and that was for western/northwestern parts - not the south.

I'm imagine Cork City would be somewhat sheltered from the worst of these winds due to the direction?

Did a quick google. Possibly Sept 12 2011. M.E warning issued in relation to 'Hurricane Katia'.

http://www.sligotoday.ie/details.php?id=16359
    Sligo is to be battered today as Met Eireann have issued a weather alert for Mon 12 Sept. The state forecasters warned of winds up to 160kmh causing building damage, coastal flooding, uprooted trees and transport chaos.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,533 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Just saw there on the weather on rte that there tracking another storm for Friday?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,196 ✭✭✭pad199207

Oh they have the gall not to mention Dublin ! Grrr

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

pad199207 wrote: »
    Oh they have the gall not to mention Dublin ! Grrr

do you really want damaging winds swirling around dublin at rush hour?

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Andrew_Doran

jkforde wrote: »
    yowsa, uk met forecasting 'increasing hurricane force 12 later' in Shannon in tonight's 2325 shipping update

UKMO shipping forecast (including Ireland) will be on the wireless in a couple of minutes. Should be an interesting one. :)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/on-air

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Birtles

Just saw there on the weather on rte that there tracking another storm for Friday?

BBC Weather had it flagged also today, looks to be coming from a more southerly direction and up English Channel based on today's info. Lots of moisture innt!

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Spindle

Hello everyone, thanks for all the advice, I need to travel to the Kinsale Gas rig tomorrow morning around 9am. Do you think the weather will be to bad for this :D;)

Has the look of 97 about it, I think though it is a faster moving system, which hopefully will reduce the damage. But there are so many people with their bins out that won't be brought in etc, it is these items being thrown around that cause damage.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

UKMO shipping forecast (including Ireland) will be on the wireless in a couple of minutes. Should be an interesting one. :)

Okay Granpa, will tune in :p

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

STATUS YELLOW

Wind Warning for Cavan, Monaghan, Donegal, Dublin, Carlow, Kildare, Kilkenny, Laois, Longford, Louth, Wicklow, Offaly, Westmeath, Meath, Leitrim, Roscommon, Sligo and Tipperary

Extremely windy weather will develop during Wednesday, to affect Tipperary, Laois, Offaly, Carlow, Kilkenny, Kildare, Dublin and Wicklow.
    Westerly winds 50 to 65 km/h will gust to 100 to 110 km/h.
    Issued:
    Wednesday 12 February 2014 00:45
    Valid:
    Wednesday 12 February 2014 14:00 to Wednesday 12 February 2014 23:00

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

Spindle wrote: »
    Hello everyone, thanks for all the advice, I need to travel to the Kinsale Gas rig tomorrow morning around 9am. Do you think the weather will be to bad for this :D;)

Has the look of 97 about it, I think though it is a faster moving system, which hopefully will reduce the damage. But there are so many people with their bins out that won't be brought in etc, it is these items being thrown around that cause damage.

god help you if you actually get to fly at that time

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭snowstorm2013

It looks like we could be facing a major weather event tomorrow and as it it is the south and east expected to be hit the worst, there is unfortunately increased chances of structural damage and fatalities. Please people keep safe and heed any warnings not to travel unecessarily. If these winds do materialise then I really do think Evelyn Cusack and others at Met Eireann need to consider their positions. Issuing a red alert after midnight during the midweek is not acceptable. I have just text a friend to warn him in Cork and he said that there had been talk of gales but no mention of winds of 160 kmph. Now I understand that the weather has been rather unpredictable of late but forecasters on here did highlight this storm as 3 to 4 days ago. Evelyn Cusack stated on a weather forecast that this week would see no storms. To dismiss any stormy activity in a period of turbulence and successive depressions hitting Ireland was reckless and premature. I agree she would not have had any sound data on Sunday but she should have highlighted the possibilities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭Cogsy88

STATUS YELLOW

Wind Warning for Cavan, Monaghan, Donegal, Dublin, Carlow, Kildare, Kilkenny, Laois, Longford, Louth, Wicklow, Offaly, Westmeath, Meath, Leitrim, Roscommon, Sligo and Tipperary

Extremely windy weather will develop during Wednesday, to affect Tipperary, Laois, Offaly, Carlow, Kilkenny, Kildare, Dublin and Wicklow.
    Issued:
    Wednesday 12 February 2014 00:45
    Valid:
    Wednesday 12 February 2014 14:00 to Wednesday 12 February 2014 23:00

Only yellow. I was hoping for better.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,501 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Status Red:

http://www.met.ie/nationalwarnings/default.asp
    Wind Warning for Cork and Kerry

Stormy conditions will affect Cork and Kerry during Wednesday.
    Southerly winds of 60 to 70 km/h will gust to 120 km/h and will veer westerly by late morning. Winds will increase 75 to 85 km/h and will gust 130 to 160 km/h. High Seas also

Issued:Wednesday 12 February 2014 00:15
    Valid:Wednesday 12 February 2014 06:00 to Wednesday 12 February 2014 15:00

Status Orange:
    Wind Warning for Wexford, Galway, Mayo, Clare, Limerick and Waterford

1: Stormy weather will affect Waterford, Wexford during Wednesday.
    Southerly winds of 60 to 70 km/h will gust to 110 km/h. Winds will veer southwest to westerly by late morning and will increase winds 60 to 70 km/h and gust 120 to 130 km/h.
    Valid from 12/0900 to 12/1700.

2: Stormy weather will affect Clare, Limerick, Galway and Mayo during Wednesday.
    Westerly winds 60 to 70 km/h will gust to 100 to 130 km/h. High Seas also.
    Valid from 12/1200 to 12/1700.

Issued:Wednesday 12 February 2014 00:30
    Valid:Wednesday 12 February 2014 09:00 to Wednesday 12 February 2014 17:00

Status Yellow:

Extremely windy weather will sweep up from the south during today, Wednesday.

Issued:Wednesday 12 February 2014 00:45
    Valid:Wednesday 12 February 2014 14:00 to Wednesday 12 February 2014 23:00

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

Cogsy88 wrote: »
    Only yellow. I was hoping for better.

Was 99% sure it would have been orange. 120/130 gusts very much possible for Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Birtles

It looks like we could be facing a major weather event tomorrow and as it it is the south and east expected to be hit the worst, there is unfortunately increased chances of structural damage and fatalities. Please people keep safe and heed any warnings not to travel unecessarily. If these winds do materialise then I really do think Evelyn Cusack and others at Met Eireann need to consider their positions. Issuing a red alert after midnight during the midweek is not acceptable. I have just text a friend to warn him in Cork and he said that there had been talk of gales but no mention of winds of 160 kmph. Now I understand that the weather has been rather unpredictable of late but forecasters on here did highlight this storm as 3 to 4 days ago. Evelyn Cusack stated on a weather forecast that this week would see no storms. To dismiss any stormy activity in a period of turbulence and successive depressions hitting Ireland was reckless and premature. I agree she would not have had any sound data on Sunday but she should have highlighted the possibilities.

Agree 100% way too late, even 9.30 rte weather didn't flag anything like this possibility. just posted it on Facebook page so at least family & friends should see it 1st thing.

I know it's up on the website already, but I haven't heard "Hurricane Force 12" read out on a BBC shipping forecast too often.

Inshore waters forecast gave severe gale 9 from Lough Foyle to Carlingford Lough.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

I point you to my post of earlier on this evening :

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=88954064&postcount=343
    Going on consultation with some members and what guidance we currently have I have changed the title and upgraded the warning , with not being a professional operation we can afford this luxury ,

This is something that ME can not do , they need to feel something is pretty much nailed on before putting out such a warning as it could cause undue stress and panic for folks who depend on them.

This is a pretty fluid situation and the warning level will be assessed on that basis .

Advertisement