Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Great Storm of Wednesday 12/02/2014

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭greedygoblin

And it's just started to rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭plasteritup

And it's just started to rain.

Where in cork are ya greedy, Midleton here all is calm :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭unkymo

All quiet in Tralee as well now,not even a gust of wind.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭greedygoblin

Where in cork are ya greedy, Midleton here all is calm :)

Just outside Macroom.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

I'm about 10 minutes walk from Cork city center and there's hardly a breeze here. No rain either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭plasteritup

Can't sleep with the excitement

• Registered Users Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭dacogawa

Dublin as calm as I've seen in a long time, quite eerie, I'm sure it wont be tomorrow. Heads down everyone & Stay safe!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,571 ✭✭✭bassy

Any idea on a rough time it will hit the southeast ?.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Hooter23

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

I've just been woken up with heavy rain on roof windows.

And so it begins...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 650 ✭✭✭handbagmad

Anybody give time frame for this hitting please probably asked already if so apologies.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,513 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

bassy wrote: »
    Any idea on a rough time it will hit the southeast ?.

Storm onset there about 0500h, then would expect a full southerly gale about 0700h to 0900h then quite a reduction for several hours, unlike further west you will see some effects of the low's calmer central core, to about early afternoon, then a second period of strong winds from more of a SW to W direction. The southeast is not necessarily in the worst spot for this storm by the way, when it transfers energy it may jump over some parts of the southeast.

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭tiegan

Munster just gone to red on Met Eireann!!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,147 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

How bad will it be in Maynooth, general Dublin area, have to go into city centre around 4pm

Got lucky with this oddball 04z ship report

46.80N 17.50W 270 54.0 kts

The early model runs aren't much different from what we already saw, GME looked quite intense around 1500h. We may have to nowcast a racing squall line with this low.

How bad will it be in Maynooth, general Dublin area, have to go into city centre around 4pm

You might be wise to set out early and ride out the stronger winds closer to destination. By early I mean lunch time, if the models are right, strong winds during the morning should ease there for the early afternoon then pick up again perhaps to very strong levels late afternoon. Check thread for better timing on that around 1100h if you can.

I managed 2 hours sleep until my neighbours car alarm went off and now I'm wide awake so I'll stay up for another hour or 2 and wait for the storm to start!

Anyway its raining in Tralee now but no wind here yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Frigga_92

Raining here, slight wind picking up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭northgirl

Rain slowly gaining intensity in Cork City, no wind so far...

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭chipsdave

After some lightish showers during the night , rain steadier now and wind certainly more audible.

• Advertisement

chipsdave wrote: »
    After some lightish showers during the night , rain steadier now and wind certainly more audible.

The same in Tralee, not too far away now!

EDIT; Still raining and but not much wind here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭Scartbeg

Strong gusts and rain just arrived at the Knockmealdown's. Batten down the hatches, bins, dog kennel, trampoline etc again!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Look at the pressure gradient and winds on the southwest coast on at the hourly HIRLAM at 12 and 1pm....

http://www.met.ie/forecasts/short-range.asp

:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Hurricane force from around 1pm on the SW coast going by that so a good chance of some records being broken

• Registered Users Posts: 6,858 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

Wind picking up now in Cork City. Very gusty with pretty heavy rain. Would love a duvet day but no such luck::(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

UKMO have expanded and upgraded their wind warning for the UK in the early hours of the morning. It's now on the highest impact scale and 1 notch below highest likelihood. They mention gusts up to 100 mph now. Since we will be almost certainly getting higher winds from this than the UK that means 100+ mph gusts are a real possibility here, probably on the southwest coast.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,287 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Ok guys just read back on last few pages - have to say I'm nervous about driving to work now!!!

Its being lashing rain here in Tralee for the last 2 hours and the winds are getting stronger now.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,287 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Woah, massive gust just there - this does not sound good!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭tiegan

Wind has picked up very fast in south tipp - heavy rain just started.
    Duvet day today methinks:)

Advertisement