Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Great Storm of Wednesday 12/02/2014

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭cali_eire

The wind seems pretty violent already here in West Cork. I am not looking forward to the next few hours as it gets stronger.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Just heading out for a game of badminton here in south armagh

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭The12thMan

Just drove from Cork to Clonakilty, very wet but wind not so bad ........ so far.

am i correct in assuming that the big wind is not till around lunchtime?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Ger Fleming was just interviewed on Radio 1. He said the winds will be "extreme" and "quite dangerous" in Kerry/Cork but moving very quickly so shortlived. He advised people there to stay indoors during the worst of it and secure anything that might blow away outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

I wonder what speeds we will actually record @ Valentia & Sherkin?

That EURO4 would suggest 70kt gusting 90kt :eek:

--- Something like 60kt gusting 80kt is more realistic though.

• Advertisement

I wonder what speeds we will actually record @ Valentia & Sherkin?

That EURO4 would suggest 70kt gusting 90kt :eek:

--- Something like 60kt gusting 80kt is more realistic though.

Valentia recorded 88 in 1961 and 1997, highest on record.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭collie0708

Guys can anyone less me what the wind will be like in dublin at 12pm I'm due to fly to London then??? Last few flights have been really bumpy and not much fun

I think the Orange warning needs to extend to more counties including Dublin, I see a number of models with potential for gusts from 120-130km/hr in the Dublin region later in the afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,286 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Fair few boats hanging around in Bantry Bay again
    5d66EL.gif

collie0708 wrote: »
    Guys can anyone less me what the wind will be like in dublin at 12pm I'm due to fly to London then??? Last few flights have been really bumpy and not much fun

Severe winds not likely to edge into Dublin area until 3pm onwards. The centre of the low will be near Dublin at noon with winds quite calm as a result.

• Advertisement

Fair few boats hanging around in Bantry Bay again
    5d66EL.gif

They should be at harbour surely with this coming?

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭redsky7

dublin is still a level 2 on here but met has it as a status yellow warning. has the storm shifted track or lowered significantly in intensity by the time it hits dublin? trying to decide if I need to leave college early this afternoon. Thanks.

Back edge of the front is starting to clear the southwest coast now.

redsky7 wrote: »
    dublin is still a level 2 on here but met has it as a status yellow warning. has the storm shifted track or lowered significantly in intensity by the time it hits dublin? trying to decide if I need to leave college early this afternoon. Thanks.

A level Orange is justified for Dublin, winds will not pick up though until after 3pm.

Gusts to 120/130km/hr likely in the region.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

This southerly is rough enough already here.
    Of course cork always does badly from a Southerly wind. Case of waiting to see now what will happen.
    In Cork my punt will be a highest gust of 92mph for airport

Even the WRF puts area of 120-130km/hr gusts into Dublin area around 6pm

nmmuk-11-18-0.png?12-06

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭JMSE

man missing off sheeps head?

Gusting to 70 km/h here in Waterford now in very heavy rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

No Rain here, Calm and Snow still on the ground. Very Cold though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Zoney

Very windy before 8 am already in Limerick city, flapping letterbox, howling chimney, etc. Just opened a window, already too windy for that to be particularly good - whole trees swaying outside. Constant wind sound outside from the trees (just a few, in an urban area here).

• Advertisement

Already power outages in Kerry. Sneem and Milltown.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

Limerick county and city reported blustry at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭Power Gear

Menacing wind North Kerry. Water everywhere :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭relaxed

JMSE wrote: »
    man missing off sheeps head?

They postponed the search since yesterday until tomorrow, for obvious reasons.

The edge of the front looks intense on radar near the Clare coast, fair bit of lightning there.

It cannot be overstated how extreme things could get in Kerry/ Cork around noon.

Really really dangerous. Do stay indoors during the winds as it is likely to be some of the highest ever winds experienced in the region.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Rain has arrived and its got quite breezy, an incredibly big change in 10mins

• Registered Users Posts: 30,286 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Not sure why exactly they don't

Its a deep bay and would be bit more sheltered than open sea. They'd be big enough fishing boats, probably half them Spanish. They do still get thrown around though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

Expecting 85 kt gusts on South Coast, 65-68 kt in Dublin (afternoon). Also I think that the initial SSE gales will be stronger than many think on the coast, already picking up here.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Had a 90 km/h gust here in Tralee already with 12 .2mm of rain dropped so far.

Bar 964.9mb Falling Rapidly

Have to go to work now.

Advertisement