Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Great Storm of Wednesday 12/02/2014

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

Yikes, just had a fight with the door of the car. Nearly took my arm off.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Birtles

It cannot be overstated how extreme things could get in Kerry/ Cork around noon.

Really really dangerous. Do stay indoors during the winds as it is likely to be some of the highest ever winds experienced in the region.

Worst Drive ( from west Cork to Cork city) to work all winter. Driving rain & winds and roads are swamped in surface water. Do not travel unless really necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Yes very blustery near Mallow already. Plenty surface water as well but the rain should ease off shortly.

It certainly looks an extreme event for these parts now.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,287 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Ok in car on way to work - it's bad here already, and it's gonna get worse?! Eeek!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Its been updated with the latest HIRLAM. The area of hurricane force winds is even larger. I've never seen anything like this.

http://www.met.ie/forecasts/short-range.asp

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,672 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Picking up slowly in Waterford, latest gusts 85kph.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭Beef

I'm in Cork Airport Business park and it's already unbelievable. Wish I worked from home today!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Its been updated with the latest HIRLAM. The area of hurricane force winds is even larger. I've never seen anything like this.

http://www.met.ie/forecasts/short-range.asp

Yes, if people think it is bad now then it does not bear thinking how bad it will be at noon.

Looks exceptional.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭Robxxx7

Eased off a touch here in Mid Kerry now ... still blowing but not as bad as an hour ago .. calm before the proverbial storm

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Already a gust to 71 knots @ Sherkin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭D2D

It is horrible weather here in Cork. Lashing rain and a driving wind. Those gusts are really strong right now and it looks like it's going to get worse for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

Airport is quite this AM. It seems open recent landing at 08:03.
    70km/h wind reported at airport.
    I’ve 10mm precipitation since midnight.
    Blowing a near constant F5 I’ve a modest 40km/h gust @07:04
    No unusual activity at the moment.

Sherkin Island recording 71knts gust

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭RoisinD

The edge of the front looks intense on radar near the Clare coast, fair bit of lightning there.

Not been too aware of the lightning but have heard long low rumbles of thunder. Wondered what it was as it reminded me of the night we had the earthquake.:eek: Relieved to read it was probably thunder.
    Extremely heavy rain since about 3.30. Some wind but we are somewhat protected from the SE winds. Once it swings round it will be a different story.

NW Clare

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

Gale has commenced here. Expecting 60-63 knot gusts in this phase, and 65+ in second phase.

patneve2 wrote: »
    Gale has commenced here. Expecting 60-63 knot gusts in this phase, and 65+ in second phase.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/marine-high-seas/#?tab=map

upgraded to Force 12 for Irish Sea.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,564 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Gusting 60+ knots now in Cork harbour. Playing it safe and staying home and bringing the young guy to school. Schools here really should be closed - worst winds expected when kids are heading home.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭cali_eire

Gone much calmer here in West Cork in the last few minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭shmaupel

Fairly miserable but standard wet and windy morning in South Donegal. Mad to see on the ME short range graphics how our winds up here will slacken away while those on the South coast ramp up so phenomenally. Really do hope everyone emerges unscathed from this.

Birtles wrote: »

Very rare to see that. Though those winds will be blowing away from shore towards Wales rather than towards the Irish coast. Makes a big difference.

• Advertisement

Arrived in work in one piece :pac: Couldn't get the computer on fast enough - it is ATROCIOUS here!!! Never seen anything like it, unbelieveable gusts :eek:

And we got a ferocious burst of rain just before I got out of the car to go into my building....typical!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

cali_eire wrote: »
    Gone much calmer here in West Cork in the last few minutes.

Eye of the storm?

Very rare to see that. Though those winds will be blowing away from shore towards Wales rather than towards the Irish coast. Makes a big difference.

Probably the reason Met office UK has issued warnings of gusts of 100 mph for exposed parts of North Wales

Met Eireann talking about storm on Friday too and they mentioned it on morning Ireland this morning - does Friday look like it could be serious too?

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Clamball

A very heavy rain/hail shower here in Fermoy, visibility badly reduced, tops of trees starting to bend. Be safe out there and drive slowly to work. Better be late than sorry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

leahyl wrote: »
    Met Eireann talking about storm on Friday too and they mentioned it on morning Ireland this morning - does Friday look like it could be serious too?

Looks to be more problematic from a rainfall point of view, but too early to say...

There's bound to be serious power outages from this I'd say

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

Track is similar. But until this one is past, not much attention to it, but looks troublesome.

There's bound to be serious power outages from this I'd say

There's been some already.

https://www.esb.ie/esb-networks/powercheck/

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Kinsale Energy ramping up now. 59kts gusting 72kts.

Advertisement