Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Great Storm of Wednesday 12/02/2014

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Frigga_92

Very windy on the way to Carrick-on-Suir this morning but nowhere near as bad as Tuesday of last week.
    Just had lashing rain, hailstones and a little flurry of snow but it's died back to rain now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,672 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Gusting over 100kph now in Waterford, mean up to 78kph.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

No just an orange alert.

Cheers was trying to gauge what was in store for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

No 9am report from Kinsale Energy platform?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

No 9am report from Kinsale Energy platform?

I hope its still there :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Torrents of water running down the roads here in Wexford,the amount of people that know nothing about this storm is astounding,I mentioned the alert to a few & the response was "oh yeah,I heard something about snow & ice alright",that was for yesterday in the North West.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

leahyl wrote: »
    What's this sting jet I keep hearing about Iancar?

A sudden convective downburst of 850hp winds ( nearly 100mph ) near the hook of the tail .

Heres the latest water vapour imagery , tail not as pronounced but still could form in the next few hours.
    293484.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭caustic 1

Lot of snow falling here in Donegal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭northgirl

dave1982 wrote: »
    They're sending kids home from some schools in Cobh.

Sky is still working here anyway, wheelie bins flying down estate :pac:

makes sense.

sky gone since last weekend, it took a battering since christmas :pac:

Iancar29 wrote: »
    A sudden convective downburst of 850hp winds ( nearly 100mph ) near the hook of the tail .

Heres the latest water vapour imagery , tail not as pronounced but still could form in the next few hours.
    293484.jpg

Gusts from the intense pressure gradient alone look like being up to 100 mph or even a little higher on the coast if the models are right. Convective gusts would be on top of that. Hopefully that doesn't happen.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

Very very gusty SSE wind here, surprised DL harbour isn't reporting stronger winds!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Winds picking up now very fast in north Kilkenny, gusting to over 77km/hr at present, on high ground exposed to wind so should be pretty awful later.
    Pressure falling at 4.8mb/hr.

Gust of 130 km/h here in Waterford.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,513 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

From estofex - "Tornadoes are not ruled out either, given the intense low level shear..."

So yep, you could have seen one..

Funnel clouds or small scale (F0) tornados would fit the current radar showing the occluding cold front moving through the inland southeast now.

The most dangerous part of the storm is the southwest quadrant and the low is now about 100 miles west of Valentia heading for a landfall in Clare (the more northerly centre west of Galway Bay is heading towards Belmullet).

Expect storm force winds (near hurricane strength in exposed locations) to hit Kerry between 11:00 and noon. They will reach a west Limerick to Cork (city) line shortly after noon and will then advance a little more rapidly filling in behind the low, Limerick to Dunvargan about 1 p.m., then Galway and north Clare to Kilkenny about 2-3 p.m. and Athlone to Kildare to Wicklow about 4 p.m. Dublin can expect this to peak around 5 p.m. then last to about 7-8 p.m.

North of the track of the low will be a very sharp cutoff in wind speeds at any point although eventually most places will see gusts to 100 km/hr there.

Most people away from the immediate south coast will experience a significant lull in wind speeds from this morning's component (southerly) to the afternoon onslaught (westerly). Winds could drop to as low as SW 30-50 km/hr for about two hours in some places, and even calmer conditions along the track of the low. Don't be fooled by this and set out on some journey because you'll get caught in the much stronger second phase of the storm.

How strong will this storm then become? Models are giving us very high sustained wind indications (around or over 100 km/hr) and gusts are usually around 1.4 times sustained winds in major storms. There is almost certain to be considerable damage with this event, stay off the roads during the second phase and advise your friends and relatives to stay put indoors, less chance of injury that way even if inconvenient.

I'm now expecting maximum gusts to be in the order of 80-90 knots at coastal stations and 60-70 inland where well exposed, but even there 70-80 could develop because there may be some tornadic wind streaks developing. Sting jet is of interest but this is more of an intense forcing situation that almost guarantees very strong winds.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,287 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Kind of wish there was more rain - it really highlights how strong the winds are I think :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Penname

Thanks MT for the very concise breakdown. Extremely helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,483 ✭✭✭weisses

And another possible storm for Friday ??? (south)

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭downwiththatsor

weisses wrote: »

Latest gfs rolling out shows a southerly track with highest wind's for uk & nw France for now but changes no doubt over coming days

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Tazio

Kind of wish there was more rain - it really highlights how strong the winds are I think :pac:

Me too. .It'll slow the wind down a bit too... :pac:

Cork Airport Business Park is rocking this morning... literally. These buildings will be tested today.

Cobh winds rising again.

daywind.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭shamco

Have you not seen enough rain this winter?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭swampgas

Some big branches coming off the trees and an entire tree has snapped at the trunk and ended up in the neighbour's field. (West Cork, near Reenascreena)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

If it's Green recycle bin day in your area...don't put the bin out!

So far 7 on the road have blown over. Holy cow the amount of stuff careering around in the wind is mad. Most of it ended up in my garden!

But that's a Minor thing. I hope you will all be safe..

I'm in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

weisses wrote: »

Was going to bring this up also. Ecm also has it. Gfs seems to continue the stormy outlook, with another this time next week too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭loubian

It's crazy here in Dublin. Worst out of all the storms so far imo

Gust of 130 km/h here in Waterford.

Where was that recorded??

• Registered Users Posts: 12,005 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Heard some thunder there. I'm in Little Island, Cork atm. Wind had quietened down but seems to be picking back up with some rain

swampgas wrote: »
    Some big branches coming off the trees and an entire tree has snapped at the trunk and ended up in the neighbour's field. (West Cork, near Reenascreena)

One good thing is this hitting during daylight hours so downed trees and power lines will be visible on the roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Was driving behind a car that drove straight through a flood on the left hand side and every bit of spray ended up hitting a house on the right hand side a good 50m away.

• Advertisement

135kph gust at Roches Point.

Advertisement