Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Great Storm of Wednesday 12/02/2014

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭whitebriar

Gust of 130 km/h here in Waterford.

Not surprised.
    There's a characteristic howling to the wind and rain here in Arklow now,quite nasty.Sideways heavy rain.
    There's no way rain buckets could be recording half the rain falling,it's blowing past them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭stooge

If it's Green recycle bin day in your area...don't put the bin out!

So far 7 on the road have blown over. Holy cow the amount of stuff careering around in the wind is mad. Most of it ended up in my garden!

But that's a Minor thing. I hope you will all be safe..

I'm in Dublin.

http://ecostore.ie/waste-bins/sulo-products/wheelie-bin-locks/wheelie-bin-gravity-lock-140240360l-bins

Or

brick.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭aurora 527

Where was that recorded??

It was recorded on Mick's station Jerry http://www.waterfordcityweather.com/index.php

But it has mysteriously vanished, unless it was a glitch not sure

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Looking at the Hirlam i just cannot see why the Warning is not Orange for Dublin later.

Dublin Airport is very exposed to Westerlies, as is here.

Looking at the output I think Dublin Airport will get a gust > 70 knots this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

Update for Midday from Met Eireann:

3hr-wind.gif?0958

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Where was that recorded??

http://www.waterfordcityweather.com/wxlive.php

When the wind dropped the gauge changed back down to showing 0-100 and the high gust changed to displaying it as 30 km/h instead.

Click on records and youll see it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭northgirl

charging everything time to hit the showers before it's too late!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,813 ✭✭✭billie1b

Dublin 15 area, winds already feel and sound crazy, didn't think it was gonna hit this early. Huge big trees across from the house swaying, crazy looking

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭aurora 527

When the wind dropped the gauge changed back down to showing 0-100 and the high gust changed to displaying it as 30 km/h instead.

Thanks Maq that explains it i was watching at the time it hit 102km/h then 130km/h

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

roof slates are coming off and landing in the garden up here :( in Douglas cork....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭busymum1

Really strong gusts now in western suburbs of Cork now and we're usually really sheltered. I can't imagine what it will be like by lunchtime.. I hope the CUH fixed it's roof/cladding properly after the last time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,012 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

It's wild enough here in wexford, looking forward to later

• Registered Users Posts: 14,287 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

The really strong winds should pass relatively quickly across the country though right?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,672 ✭✭✭Speak Now

That broke the station record by a mile then.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

If it's Green recycle bin day in your area...don't put the bin out!

So far 7 on the road have blown over. Holy cow the amount of stuff careering around in the wind is mad. Most of it ended up in my garden!

But that's a Minor thing. I hope you will all be safe..

I'm in Dublin.

Neighbour put out his bin last night,of course knew nothing of the approaching storm,street strewn with rubbish when I drove in.

I can actually spot blue sky now here in Wexford.Wind has picked up in the last half hour though.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭teddybones

Gusts of 93 kph, in Ashford, co.Wicklow... Thank God I'm not on south coast today. Can't imagine how bad it will be so stay safe all.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,672 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Strange Waterford airport hasn't recorded anything bigger than 104kph, usually a better location for catching gusts than MickGer's station.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,192 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Whats the expected track of the potent SW flank?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭guil

Wind is starting to pick up here in newbridge, co Kildare now. Raining hard as well. We are collecting compost bins today and even they are being blown all over the place. There's recycling everywhere as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭hawkwing

Busy day for the ESB in the SW! : https://www.esb.ie/esb-networks/powercheck/

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Gust of 130 km/h here in Waterford.

A shorted cable caused that spike Maq. Max still stands at 85km/h for the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭Says I To Bridey

So after a bit of wind and a couple of heavy downpours, the sun is after breaking out here in Laois

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Ah that explains it. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,483 ✭✭✭weisses

Latest gfs rolling out shows a southerly track with highest wind's for uk & nw France for now but changes no doubt over coming days

Yeah saw that ... This storm was predicted more southerly also in the earlier stages, .... you never know, just wait and see i guess

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Star Rise

Hi everyone. Just signed up to say a massive thank you. Have been glued to this forum for past two months and really appreciate all the actionable advice given here. The local radio station here in Cork are only NOW alerting people. Crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

My class have gone on a trip, by bus via the old route, from Waterford to Dublin today. I am tucked up in bed, quietly laughing at their misfortune. I may be a bad person.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 83 ✭✭14handicap

Are you totally sure as I follow the weather quite closely and that gust you are talking about was seriously over 85kph. Blew down a tree in my place that is there for 30yrs and healthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,012 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Winds slackened to barely a breeze in wexford now

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭carleigh

Wind starting to pick up a little here in West Clare. Stay safe everyone,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Aimsir

No just an orange alert.

Steven's day was a red alert with Met Eireann

Advertisement