Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Great Storm of Wednesday 12/02/2014

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,197 ✭✭✭pad199207

That is a thing of beauty!

68D3954D065941DE9900B6C5805661FD-0000334566-0003498906-00800L-457DAF463B994783ADC8E8ACA52D8D28.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Penname

Winds really picking up now in Kildare. Pressure bombed to 966 and dropping. Avg speeds 12km/h, gusting to 30km/h. Rain clearing also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

That storm swirl looks like a question mark :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,287 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

zenno wrote: »
    That storm swirl looks like a question mark :)

"Now where will I make landfall...?" :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

This was Dec 24 1997 at Valentia. You can see the first phase of strong winds, then the lull, followed by the very strong second phase lasting about an hour. That's the type of pattern this storm should take too if it goes as forecast.

RSTBRPK.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,147 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Not that bad in Maynooth tbh, just an ordinary October/November type day... Wait a minute it's not October or November is it.

Was sleeting a couple of minutes ago is now back to raining/windy. Damn this unpredictable weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,946 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Tullow 98.2 km/h at 10:09am, I expect Phase 2 to be higher

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭whitebriar

Serious gusts near Arklow in last 10 mins

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭je551e

Was bad from about 6.00 am -7.30am in Killarney , strong gusts but fairly calm here now

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Star Rise wrote: »
    Hi everyone. Just signed up to say a massive thank you. Have been glued to this forum for past two months and really appreciate all the actionable advice given here. The local radio station here in Cork are only NOW alerting people. Crazy.

Local radio weather forecast = look out the window and report it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭cyclops999

Athlone very calm hardly a breeze

• Registered Users Posts: 8,672 ✭✭✭Speak Now

A shorted cable caused that spike Maq. Max still stands at 85km/h for the day.

Thanks Mick, I was thinking it was a bit extreme in relation to the airport.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Some really vicious gusts here in Trim at the moment, can't imagine what it's like in Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

PauloMN wrote: »
    Some really vicious gusts here in Trim at the moment, can't imagine what it's like in Cork.

Stormy, very stormy

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Mace Head pressure to 958hPa @ 10am,

Certainly a deeper depression that the storm of 1997.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭fizzlepurplefuz

Wind and rain is starting to pick up now here! More rain than wind at the moment though!

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Tiosabas

Unreal squall here in Citywest!!

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Birtles

UK Met office have upgraded warning for Wales/North England to Red Also.

Another rare Red warning.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/warnings/#?tab=warnings&map=Warnings&zoom=5&lon=-3.50&lat=55.50&fcTime=1392163200&regionName=wl

Maximum impact on their scale.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Don't think its the worst I seen this winter....yet.

It is windy but was worse around Christmas I think

Saying that a wheelie bin slid in to my front garden and it dug into the ground!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

being blown out of it in ballincollig in Cork

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Extreme winds now just around an hour away from the southwest coast.

You can see the curl near the centre of the circulation heading west.

image2.ashx?region=gb&v=true

It's uncanny how similar the satellite image is right now compared to the one from Christmas Eve 1997.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Nothing too noteworthy from the first phase of winds, coastal areas very windy but nothing that hasn't been seen several times already this winter. Seems to be largely as forecast so far though so expecting some more dramatic reports from noon onwards, Valentina could be in with a chance of breaking the mean wind record

• Registered Users Posts: 5 JustplainNUTS

Following the lull - the kind when you watch your elec and tele poles wobbling violently - it's just started picking up again here near Eyeries (West Cork). Howlin now. Expecting roaring in an hour or so.

Birtles wrote: »
    UK Met office have upgraded warning for Wales/North England to Red Also.

Another rare Red warning.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/warnings/#?tab=warnings&map=Warnings&zoom=5&lon=-3.50&lat=55.50&fcTime=1392163200&regionName=wl

Maximum impact on their scale.
    During this afternoon a swathe of exceptionally strong winds is expected to affect western parts of Wales and then some northwestern parts of England this evening, particularly in coastal areas. Winds are expected to gust 80 mph widely and possibly reach 100 mph in the most exposed locations in west and northwest Wales.

Winds of this strength can cause widespread structural damage, bringing down trees and also leading to loss of power supplies. In addition, large waves are likely to affect some coasts. The public should take action to alter their travel arrangements during this spell of storm force winds.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Birtles

Power Check lighting up like a xmas tree!

wife just texted to say power gone as well at home

https://www.esb.ie/esb-networks/powercheck/

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭GREENGEKO

ATHY...is god angry? time to build the ark??? wind is howling,rain is coming down in sheets...but then rain stops,sun comes out to play...go outside bathed in sunshine and get my skin blown off me in a howling wind i never felt the like off....and its gone damn cold as well..but did i say the sun was shining?

There should be a dramatic and rapid increase in winds on the southwest coast over the next hour or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Nothing too out of the ordinary here near roundwood rain in terms of wind* or rain. A bit of spot flooding, the stream near the house is high and big puddles on the fields. However, that's more the water table at the moment, plus a bit of melting snow, rather than a crazy amount of rain. Sun out now.

*going to have to look at repositioning that bit of the weather station - I think its more protected than I think!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭snowstorm2013

I am in west Dublin and it has been windy for the last hour or so witn one or two 'look out the window' gusts. Heavy rain has cleared to some blue skies and the sun is out. But this interlude will only last a few hours. I am just hoping r he green bins will be collected soon as it will be left to me and a few others to spend tomorrow picking it all up.

Advertisement