Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Great Storm of Wednesday 12/02/2014

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭Colonialboy

Scratch my last post, things picking up now, around Macroom , Cork.
    Im amazed how strong trees actually are, watching them bend and sway leaves me in awe of nature.
    best of luck to everyone. Be safe,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

leahyl wrote: »
    God dammit - power just went again!! I'm in UCC

is the whole campus out or just certain area's?
    busymum1 wrote: »
    Power gone in Douglas and we're only at the start of it..

im on the maryborough side so far so good here, still have power...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,287 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

hoodwinked wrote: »
    is the whole campus out or just certain area's?

Ah no it's back now! It just went off for like 5 seconds each time

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭busymum1

now power gone in Ringaskiddy and Cobh, powercheck Cork lighting up. Poor ESB workers..

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

My dad has just arrived at my house in Meath. He came up from dublin, howth.

I am trying to get him to return home but he thinks things are grand.

Anybody got any information to suggest things will get worse on the east coast in the next few hours?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭Colonialboy

daelight wrote: »
    4° QNH 963hpa 35 kt From southwest EIKY 121220Z 23035G63KT

... 63kts gusts, holy ...
    Out of interest how do you break that reading down . What are the parts.. Does it provide a location etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭rebeve

In Garryduff Cork the wind is unreal ,not safe to be out and about .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭lilmissprincess

I'm weighing up the pros and cons of going from Bridge St to Washington St, have to get paperwork sorted :/ Really does need to get done today, put it off yesterday :( Also realised how little okay food I have in the house!

How likely am I to blow away?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

wow:
    Type of service interruption: Fault
    Number of customers affected: 1827
    Start time: 12/02/2014 12:32
    Estimated restore time: 12/02/2014 18:00

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,192 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

84kts at Sherkin Island at Midday, 97mph in old money. Quite a few records could tumble in the next 6 hours.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Obviously this goes without saying, but whilist I think all those who are pensively waiting updates from fellow boardsies on the weather in their areas, please be safe. Dont try and get photos/videos if you are in anyway in danger. I would go so far as to say that people shouldnt even be attempting videos/photos of any coastal weather, because it will be just too dangerous.

Obviously if youre not in danger keep the posts and updates up :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Bicycle

I was talking to our daughter in UCC a while ago - shes in Uni Hall. Pretty bad there and they've had an e-mail from the moderator re the bad winds.

Cork sounds like a disaster zone.. and the Dingle Peninsula :eek:

Stay safe people....

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Jeju

I'm weighing up the pros and cons of going from Bridge St to Washington St, have to get paperwork sorted :/ Really does need to get done today, put it off yesterday :( Also realised how little okay food I have in the house!

You might survive but the paper will definitely get blown away.:)

Drumpot wrote: »

Anybody got any information to suggest things will get worse on the east coast in the next few hours?

Yeah, the Met Eireann orange warning up to 2300 hrs should tell him. In reality if he sits it out at your place until evening time he should be grand, just keep up to date with road blockages.

Be very careful there lilmissprincess - a lot of the buildings on Washington Street are VERY old and there would be a big enough risk of roof tiles coming off I would say.

Bicycle wrote: »
    I was talking to our daughter in UCC a while ago - shes in Uni Hall. Pretty bad there and they've had an e-mail from the moderator re the bad winds.

Cork sounds like a disaster zone.. and the Dingle Peninsula :eek:

Stay safe people....

Jaysis, those mods would get in anywhere

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭obezyana

Got to travel Kilkenny to Waterford in an hour or so the spin on the open motorway should be a breezy one. It's not too bad in KK City at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭smallwonder

Meanwhile in Donegal we are kayaking in the snow!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭northgirl

leahyl wrote: »
    Be very careful there lilmissprincess - a lot of the buildings on Washington Street are VERY old and there would be a big enough risk of roof tiles coming off I would say.

Good advice, someone was killed a number of years ago by falling debris from a building on washington street during a storm.:(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

Drumpot wrote: »

http://www.met.ie/forecasts/short-range.asp

Short range forecasts. Use slider scale to scroll through what they predict will be happening.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

wow seriously wild :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭flying11

I'm on the 4th floor of a westerly facing building near cork city center. Wind is absolutely incredible. Very violent gusts

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭busymum1

As an aside, there's a young sapling on a slope coming down in the garden. It's swaying madly with each gust . A young hooded crow has appeared out of nowhere and appears to be 'surfing' on the branches near the top which are moving the most. He's really getting bounced around, I suppose it must be for fun? why he's not taking shelter from the weather I don't know..
    That last really violent gust did for him, he's flown off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Zoney

Just about time for lunch and wind really picking up in Limerick now, can hear it inside offices across the roof. Hope building site across the way secure, they're still hoisting up wall panels by crane and attaching them.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Snowmaker

Cool, I know when I can take my smoke break.. nice little break in the weather just above my office at 2pm :-)

293503.JPG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭brandon_flowers

Just spoke to some folks at home. North Kerry already severely battered, several farm sheds have been blown down. Slates are flying off roofs everywhere.

Please stay indoors and please please do not attempt to go fixing damage on your own.

OMG HUGE tree fell down in Brookfield student accommodation area - saw it with my own eyes

Will post pics later

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Max gust of 88km/h recorded during the most recent shower. Sun is out now.

www.waterfordcityweather.com/wxlive.php

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭stooge

crazy the difference in weather across the country. completely calm here in the midlands. Expecting things to ramp up though over the next 3-4hrs.

Advertisement