Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Great Storm of Wednesday 12/02/2014

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Salty

Power has been flickering all morning here in Carraig na bhFear. Whitechurch next to us is out of power.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,287 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Slates flying off the roof of a number of buildings in UCC - DO NOT COME TO UCC if you are planning on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Area of max vorticity on sat .

293520.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 19,417 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Hearing a lot of sirens here in Kilkenny. God bless them all...

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Bicycle

Limerick City, Ennis Road area. The wind is systematically peeling the fascias off the houses here.

Scary as hell.

Hubby just telling me Limerick Boat Club roof is gone. Expecting a photo in email soon.

And there is cladding coming off some of the buildings in UL.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

This storm is bad, was up the fields fixing my water pump as I had no water, the winds picked up, there was missiles in the wind - fine hail which were like bullets, bits of furze debris in the wind, trees down , very hard to walk in, had to stop at times so wouldn't be blown away in it, this at about 850ft asl exposed to the wind.

New wind records for my station - over 100km/hr winds at 4 metres.

Very dangerous out, temperature falling fast too, so snow will be the next thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Hooter23

Wind starting to gust now in Galway city not sure what to expect really at this stage....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,012 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Has picked up ten fold in Wexford Town in last half an hour, Still not sure if I would call it stormy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

From broadsheet.ie, the Brandon looking worse for wear

http://www.broadsheet.ie/2014/02/12/it-rose-in-tralee/

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭shamco

Have to say Boards has been brilliant before and throughout this storm. Well done lads

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭TheBigGreen

We are in lockdown in Pfizer Ringaskiddy! Stuff flying all over the shop!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,954 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Did schools close in the Cork and Kerry area ?

Its gotten very windy in Galway city. Not the worst we have seen this winter but pretty bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭northgirl

road_high wrote: »

same here, horrible sound. thoughts with those involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭hawkwing

hawkwing wrote: »
    Kilmac and Lismore lost power,urlingford,CAshel also at times
    Now Carlow and Wexford sites losing power---mental stuff!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

Wind has just started to pick up in Galway city

F5 WNW'ly mean 24mph, recent gust 47mph
    Barometer 960.79 hPa: Rising 1.00 hPa/hr

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭deisediva

Think I will collect my kids early from school does not seem to be easing off at all in Waterford City terrified to drive in this :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭bazzz

Relentless gusts here in Dunmore East,some of the strongest I've witnessed.Power gone since about 11:30 and Vodafone mobile signal gone in the last hour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Frigga_92

It's absolutely wild in Carrick-on-Suir now. Very strong winds, it managed to blow me the whole way up the road and I'm not light. The lights are still flickering, have been since 11a.m. The electricity wires are banging off the windows and I can see signs, bits of debris and all kinds of crap blowing down the street.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

road_high wrote: »

It looks like power is out for a lot of the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Schools and workplaces in the southern half of the country should have been closed today in the interest of health and safety.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,287 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

I think it's easing off in Cork City now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Frigga_92

deisediva wrote: »
    Think I will collect my kids early from school does not seem to be easing off at all in Waterford City terrified to drive in this :(

You'll be okay, just take your time and keep the speed down to account for any fallen trees or debris that could be on the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭SicklySweet

Garden shed just collapsed in my backyard. It had a good life. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭TaosHum

Winds picking up in Carlow, lights flickering quite often.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

Question folk, is this due in Dublin, I have to say its been a fairly normal day here in the city.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

RobertKK wrote: »
    Schools and workplaces in the southern half of the country should have been closed today in the interest of health and safety.

Exactly! Would have been an easier call to make if ME could get a grip on their forecasting...

But now that the schools have the kids, for gods sake hang on to them until its safe for parents to go out and get them.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,427 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

RobertKK wrote: »
    I really hope nobody gets killed today.

This weather is extreme and most people were totally unprepared for it

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭TheBigGreen

leahyl wrote: »
    I think it's easing off in Cork City now?

yeee right!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

Garden shed just collapsed in my backyard. It had a good life. :(

Commiserations

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭horsefarm

Very windy in south dublin, but nothing epic. Yet.
    I wonder whats in store for us. I'm charging phone and iPad just incase. The last storm I had no power, water or phone for more than 24 hours. It was torture.

Plenty of firewood from those massive trees down! I just hope everybody stays safe

Advertisement