Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Great Storm of Wednesday 12/02/2014

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Star Rise

leahyl wrote: »
    I think it's easing off in Cork City now?

Please god

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭ThaitaniumM

Strongest gust I've ever heard in my lifetime just occured :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

Dual carriageway into Cork closed due to tress blocking both lanes.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,287 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

yeee right!!!!

Doesn't sound as bad, was terrible earlier

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Gusts really picking up now in Castlebar, most action we have had today since the monsoon we had earlier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Chicken Run

Garden shed just collapsed in my backyard. It had a good life. :(

Rest In Pieces

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

Things are getting serious here near Gorey.... the gusts on the patio door have been strong enough to get the dog to move off the mat inside it! :D

Infrequent strong rogue gusts here at the moment amongst the general ones.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Rise of 3 full millibars here in last 30 mins. WSW 958.7 hPa rising very rapidly.

New Moon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Weathering

BBC newsline NI weather FC winds to pick up rapidly around rush hour with gusts of 70mph. Nothing in comparrison to the Southern areas but still noteworthy

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

AA Roadwatch ‏@aaroadwatch 2m

KILKENNY CITY: No unnecessary journeys to be made. Roads blocked: Bennettsbridge Rd, Circular Rd, Greensbridge & Old Dublin Rd at Lyrath.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,427 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Star Rise wrote: »
    Please god

please Aeolus indeed

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭daelight

I could contact my family through the mobile - they are near Tralee Co. Kerry and they said it was worse than the 1997 storm. Lots of debris, trees fallen... no power or landline *to be expected I know) They are safe indoors so I am very happy for even being 10,000km away I could contact them during the hurricane there.

I hope people directly affected by this storm stay safe... This forum and its participants have been so valuable for people abroad, thank you all.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Contacted my sister living in Newport Tipperary, shes working in Limerick and they just got evacuated from work,5 trees down in carpark.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Gust of 57 knots, from a calm 5 mins ago. :eek:

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

Unreal here, loads of trees down, school closed, power gone. Worst storm of the winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Geomy

Just seen a mini tornado near bunratty.
    Whooshhhh

• Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

I'm really hoping this just clips east Galway at most. Sounds dangerous

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Hooter23

Very gusty and sleety rain now Galway....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,954 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

deisediva wrote: »
    Think I will collect my kids early from school does not seem to be easing off at all in Waterford City terrified to drive in this :(

Crazy that anyone has to make such a decision today.Schools should've been closed. Good luck and mind yourself.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 194 ✭✭D.Campbell

yeee right!!!!
    I though it was calming in Cork City then few minutes later it picks up again, just when you think its safe
    How long more anybody know

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

WOW Storm must be deepening further north

86knots @ Shannon, 84 knots @ Mace Head

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭unkymo

We're taking a battering in Tralee! Trees down, roofs flying off,schools closed and the Gardai have closed the main street in the town. Still very gusty here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Davaeo09

Insane weather here in kilkenny. Im about 15k from the city and the three fastest ways to town are impassible with huge trees down left right and centre. Simply phoned work and said yeah not happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭kerrycork13

Wicked still in whirechurch co cork v high up and exposed gusts up to 100 miles pwr hour id say. Two trees blocked the road when I was collecting mt daughter from play school. Just had happened. Locked on thw school for half hour. Scary stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

86 knots gust at Shannon @1300 reports 100mph . That must be a station record?

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭shamco

daelight wrote: »
    I could contact my family through the mobile - they are near Tralee Co. Kerry and they said it was worse than the 1997 storm. Lots of debris, trees fallen... no power or landline *to be expected I know) They are safe indoors so I am very happy for even being 10,000km away I could contact them during the hurricane there.

I hope people directly affected by this storm stay safe... This forum and its participants have been so valuable for people abroad, thank you all.

Similar conditions also reported from west clare. Power out and people saying it's worse than 97 . I experienced that and it was bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Geomy wrote: »
    Just seen a mini tornado near bunratty.
    Whooshhhh

Photos???

ps .. there is no such thing as a "mini " tornado , its either a tornado or not ... simple as .

• Registered Users Posts: 19,417 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Davaeo09 wrote: »
    Insane weather here in kilkenny. Im about 15k from the city and the three fastest ways to town are impassible with huge trees down left right and centre. Simply phoned work and said yeah not happening.

This is the worst storm in Kilkenny so far without a doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,012 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Officially stormy here now!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Looks like the main road connecting Kerry to Limerick could soon be closed as there are several trees at a 45 degree angle near the road, also someone rang in that there stuck in traffic outside Adare for last hour.

Advertisement