Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Great Storm of Wednesday 12/02/2014

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I just went up into the attic and, the wind was obvious - no movement but plenty of creaks during the worst of the gusts - decided to re-nail some loose lining.

I could see daylight under the lining where it meets the bottom edge of the tiles when the gusting was at maximum - not a structural problem but the lining where it folds down against the outer wall under the tiles has been eaten back a few inches at the outer edge by the weather down the years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Precious flower

Strong winds in UL and I travel in from Clare ugh! Say it'll be grand though, hopefully it'll calm down! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

road_high wrote: »
    M9 Dublin Waterford motorway partially blocked by a tree between exit 8 and 9 around Kilkenny.

Any idea whether that's the northbound or the southbound carriageway?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Belmullet went from recording only a gust of 3kts at 13.00, to having a gust of 43kts at 14.00. Is the storm tracking further north and faster than we thought, quite strong sustained gusts now in Mayo.

EDIT - A pity Newports Station is not giving any data.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭Vinta81

I'm 5 minutes outside Cork city, south side - strangely calm at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,907 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

non-event here so far, one of the calmest day's we've had and I hope it stays that way! really not a fan of the wind.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Wickerman1

On a lighter note just saw the cat nearly getting blown away outside:D

Hilarious! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

One of the most severe storms in 20 years or more and Radio one is covering some totally off topic stuff.

This is a serious situation developing.

It hasn't hit us in Dublin (yet) - RTE don't care.

Met.ie RED warningnow states gusts up to 170km/h expected!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,192 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Dublin is about to get f***** at the worst possible time of day, getting dark, schools out, traffic increasing...

This ought to be treated as a major emergency to minimise movement of people

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭honerbright

Seems really calm here in Cork now. Hoping it's finally passed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

Bicycle wrote: »

Just got this text from the daughter in Laurel Hill (Limerick City South):

"Teacher been blown down here. Car moved by wind. Pole gone down on Henry Street. Spar there on lockdown."

Power outage in Corbally - Limerick City East.

Lots of things going bump here.

As in fell over in the wind?

if so... Why was the teacher outside? Surely they're supposed to be responsible adults who teach the children...?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

Lads what is the path, is this going to hit Dublin, cause it sounds horrific. I was just talking to my mum in Limerick and is horrendous there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Frigga_92

Anyone know if this is due to settle down around Carrick-on-Suir? I've to drive home at 5 on my motorbike and last week's drive home in the storm was enough for me for a lifetime.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭n32

east side of cork harbour gone quiet in the space of about a minute

• Registered Users Posts: 14,287 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

One of the most severe storms in 20 years or more and Radio one is covering some totally off topic stuff.

It's the top story on the RTE website though

• Registered Users Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭roosterman71

sdeire wrote: »
    It hasn't hit us in Dublin (yet) - RTE don't care.

Their website has it as the top item
    http://www.rte.ie/news/

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Kilkenny

BgR9O36IIAIVhKj.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 19,417 ✭✭✭✭road_high

fricatus wrote: »
    Any idea whether that's the northbound or the southbound carriageway?

Northbound according to AA.

Their website has it as the top item
    http://www.rte.ie/news/

Touche

• Registered Users Posts: 24,192 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

road_high wrote: »
    M9 Dublin Waterford motorway partially blocked by a tree between exit 8 and 9 around Kilkenny.

Also several trucks overturned on the M8. Met Eireann seriously misjudged this one....

They absolutely didnt. The gusts producing the damage are at the levels predicted. When you come up with a more alarming colour than red, please let them know.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

And tallking about cctv on liveline:mad:, everyone email Liveline and rte and tell them this is unaceptable for a so called national broadcaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

I am quite worried for Dublin at rush hour. Could be worst case scenario.

I am think we could get gusts above 70/75 knots.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Salty

_meehan_ wrote: »
    I think I might, the road in is not the most sheltered and my mum is hell bent against me going! Glad I didn't bother going into UCC today, I was meant to have a lecture at 2 but it was cancelled along with everything else.

Yeah, not going to work today. It's still ridiculous where I am!

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Star Rise

Breezy with light gusts now. Sun out. I'm not the better of the last no of hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Bicycle

From LIT:

All Staff and Students

Due to the storm and severe winds, we are advising that Staff and Students stay in the building until it is safe to leave, even if the electricity goes off.

Regards,

Terry Twomey
    VP Academic Affairs & Registrar

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭colmufc

Violent storm passing thru killaloe Ballina area right now , just called my dad in killaloe the rain drains have blown away and on the Ballina side it's 95% of the fence panels I can see are gone it's crazy out there

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭shamco

Larbre34 wrote: »
    They absolutely didnt. The gusts producing the damage are at the levels predicted. When you come up with a more alarming colour than red, please let them know.
    They said on Sunday that there would be no storms of any note this week

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

STATUS RED

Wind Warning for Munster and Wexford

Update

Continuing very stormy with violent winds through the rest of this afternoon and early evening, as winds veer westerly, mean speeds of 80 to 90km/hr and very severe gusts of 130 to 170km/hr.

Think today is the first time I've ever looked out my window with thoughts about how far the nearest tree is from my face, what its angle of fall will be if it goes over, and whether or not I'd be safer in another room.

All this talk of trees down makes me a bit cautious about when and if the wind lands up here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cotton

I am quite worried for Dublin at rush hour. Could be worst case scenario.

I am think we could get gusts above 70/75 knots.

Nobody here believes this is going to hit Dublin as it's so calm at the moment. They think I'm being dramatic. :(

Advertisement