Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Great Storm of Wednesday 12/02/2014

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

I am quite worried for Dublin at rush hour. Could be worst case scenario.

I am think we could get gusts above 70/75 knots.

All it'll take is one or two trucks to go over on the M50 and cue sheer bedlam and people getting home at midnight.

Worst case scenario for Dublin would be the gusts seen in Shannon - I'm confident that isn't possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,513 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

I'm expecting winds to increase very rapidly in Kildare, Dublin and Meath around 3 p.m. west to 3:30 coast. Peak winds about 67 kts 4-6 p.m.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Spindle

Truck overturned on M8, if there was something in that trailer, the gust to tip that must have been huge.

BgR3LnFCYAAvLXm.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭omicron

I know people don't like complaints against Met Eireanns warnings but they completely under-called this one. Limerick, Clare and Galway were on Orange warnings for winds up to a few minutes ago despite 100mph gusts recorded.

Counties such as Tipperary and Kilkenny were on Yellow warnings - Kilkenny city recorded a gust of 115km/hr (at ground level afaik, not 10m) before the weather station stopped reporting.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Worst over in south kerry. Winds have calmed considerably. Trees down everywhere by all accounts. A fair bit of a clean up needed before traffic will start moving.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,992 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Villain, from this parish, on Joe Duffy now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Anyone know if this is due to settle down around Carrick-on-Suir? I've to drive home at 5 on my motorbike and last week's drive home in the storm was enough for me for a lifetime.

I would get a lift or a taxi if I were you - see the forecast thread for what MT Cranium says about timing. He seems to reckon that it will ease off only slowly through the evening into night.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

I can't remember ME issuing a warning for 170 km/h winds before, certainly not for southern parts.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

One of you lot on Joe Duffy now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭loubian

The sun is shining here in Dublin 13. It's windy but nothing more than normal. It was quite windy though this morning. Will it get worse?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,012 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

STATUS RED

Wind Warning for Munster and Wexford

Update

Continuing very stormy with violent winds through the rest of this afternoon and early evening, as winds veer westerly, mean speeds of 80 to 90km/hr and very severe gusts of 130 to 170km/hr.

Nothing near that here now or all day in fact, Would we be sheltered from this sort of wind in Wexford Town?

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭paulusdu

Its gone from a dull calm damp February day to an unreal gale in the last 15 minutes here in east Galway. lights flickering too. Keep safe folks if you can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭oak5548

My BBQ and Gas bottle just took flight.....it was secured with rope and plastic sheeting to shield it for the winter.

I'm going out after it lads....wish me luck. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Who are you on Joe Duffy! A Boardsie!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,193 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

170 kph in the warning? Holy moly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

In douglas cork

Power still out, have local radio station on ipod and not one mention of trees/power outages for those of us with batteries running out

Looks sunny and calm out!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,992 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Who are you on Joe Duffy! A Boardsie!

It's Villain

• Registered Users Posts: 24,193 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

oak5548 wrote: »
    My BBQ and Gas bottle just took flight.....it was secured with rope and plastic sheeting to shield it for the winter.

I'm going out after it lads....wish me luck. :D

.RTE News, Corrrrrrrk.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭Fitzo

Is this tracking north to hit Galway?

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭omicron

Larbre34 wrote: »
    They absolutely didnt. The gusts producing the damage are at the levels predicted. When you come up with a more alarming colour than red, please let them know.

Red warnings for Cork and Kerry only until now.

Incredibly, Galway is still on an orange warning after an 84 knot gust. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Bicycle

UL now on lockdown. Main entrance closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,993 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Still very little wind in south Kildare,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Spindle wrote: »
    Truck overturned on M8, if there was something in that trailer, the gust to tip that must have been huge.

Was it a box or curtain sided? Either way if empty it doesn't take that much to catch one.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Nothing near that here now or all day in fact, Would we be sheltered from this sort of wind in Wexford Town?

On the south coast the models show violent force this afternoon. Wexford town would be more sheltered.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭hinault

"It looks difficult" says Joe Duffy

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Good stuff Villian!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

A tree has blown down outside Togher Church

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BgR6CYzCYAEG8Kq.jpg

...and one down on the Lee road

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BgR8y5LIgAAvEk5.png

This lot have the right idea. Clever things. :)

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BgRsrFIIIAA1Vss.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭unkymo

SeaFields wrote: »
    Worst over in south kerry. Winds have calmed considerably. Trees down everywhere by all accounts. A fair bit of a clean up needed before traffic will start moving.

Still very gusty in Tralee so hopefully it'll calm down here very soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

where can I get updated charts? Somewhere decent please, met eireann seem to be providing only stuff that's almost 3 hours out of date.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭jenjenten

multiple emergency services vehicles flying around....sirens......

Advertisement