Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Great Storm of Wednesday 12/02/2014

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 105 ✭✭Endurance_man

I am quite worried for Dublin at rush hour. Could be worst case scenario.

I am think we could get gusts above 70/75 knots.

Met Eireann disagree. They say it will get better this evening.

Have they gotten it wrong for Dublin?

Dublin
    12 February 2014- updated at 13:00
    Today

Extremely windy this afternoon, with some severe gusts, easing somewhat later this evening. Good dry periods but some heavy showers also. Highs of 6 or 7 degrees

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

The roughest few minutes of the storm so far here with a gust of 93.4km/h

www.waterfordcityweather.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

What's the timing for this in Cork City?

It seems to be suddenly a little calmer.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭rilz

So calm up east Ulster after the heavy rain and gusty winds earlier. I take it we are in the eye of this storm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Hooter23

Their driving the global warming agenda again on Sky News its called winter God Damn it.......:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Villian for an IFTA Award!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Few pics from twitter

Truck on M8
    BgR5mvbCYAA2N_l.jpg

Brandon Hotel, Tralee
    BgR8RvrIYAACqjm.jpg

Cork Racecourse
    BgR04ttIUAExmHZ.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Birtles

omicron wrote: »
    I know people don't like complaints against Met Eireanns warnings but they completely under-called this one. Limerick, Clare and Galway were on Orange warnings for winds up to a few minutes ago despite 100mph gusts recorded.

Counties such as Tipperary and Kilkenny were on Yellow warnings - Kilkenny city recorded a gust of 115km/hr (at ground level afaik, not 10m) before the weather station stopped reporting.

Still under-calling it. Connacht at Orange and look at Mace reports for 2 pm!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭jenjenten

Thrill wrote: »
    A tree has blown down outside Togher Church

This lot have the right idea. Clever things. :)

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BgRsrFIIIAA1Vss.jpg

^ smarter then your average human! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Villain - Joe plugged your site and it's having a capacity overload :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭lovelyhurler

Taken from http://www.met.ie/forecasts/coastal.asp coastal reports section:

Sea Crossings State of sea until 1200 Friday 14 February 2014
    Dublin - Holyhead High or very high, decreasing moderate to rough tomorrow.
    Rosslare - South Wales High or very high, decreasing moderate to rough tomorrow.
    Cork - South Wales High or very high, decreasing moderate to rough tomorrow.
    Rosslare - France Very high to phenomenal, decreasing rough or very rough tomorrow.
    Cork - France Very high to phenomenal, decreasing rough or very rough tomorrow.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 194 ✭✭D.Campbell

One of the most severe storms in 20 years or more and Radio one is covering some totally off topic stuff.

This is a serious situation developing.
    to say we pay theses head bangers to report about counties outside of our own disgrace , shame on you RTE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

Think I'll side with WC on this one...70kt gust will probably be reached sometime between 15 30 and 18 00 in Dublin area

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

My mother told me one of the main windows in Maidenform's warehouse in Shannon Industrial Estate just blew out from the wind. It's a mess.

Stay safe everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭odyboody

See this storm seems to have blown Shannon radar away again.
    Normal service so interesting weather (dangerous in this case) on the way and it goes missing:(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

I have a strong suspicion that Galway and Mayo are gonna get a lot more than we bargained for, just made the drive up from Galway to Castlebar and saw quite a few trees downed, crazy how the weather has changed in the space of an hour or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 JustplainNUTS

Hats off to the ESB crews... power just come back on. Means some poor/brave so-and-so was out in this weather getting the network fixed. (You couldn't have opened a door, stood up or driven a vehicle at height of that.) Still blowing a gale down Eyeries way, but not like earlier. As for damage: What can blow away has already blown away weeks (years) ago. Still, it chips away at yer nerves. Had enough of that now, ta very muchly.

So what will Friday bring? That's the question now? And good luck to the rest of yeas further east and north...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

patneve2 wrote: »
    Think I'll side with WC on this one...70kt gust will probably be reached sometime between 15 30 and 18 00 in Dublin area

Just as i am heading home :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,193 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

rilz wrote: »
    So calm up east Ulster after the heavy rain and gusty winds earlier. I take it we are in the eye of this storm.

You're not, its over the sea east of Dublin just now, the northern flank of the system is relatively low powered.

On that note, Dublin Bay is back to Force 3 with just the swell keeping the waves going. Not going to last.....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 105 ✭✭Endurance_man

I think the issue people have with Met Eireann here is that they said two days ago that it would only be a normal storm and nothing like previously.

Then last night they upgraded the forecast. 12 hours before for something so serious isn't very professional really.

Also, does anyone know if they work on weekends or are they like any other civil servants.

They clearly got the forecast wrong for the rugby on Saturday and still didn’t update their website. They still had heavy rain and winds for Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Kilkenny Council ‏@KilkennyNotices 57s

Kilkenny County Council: The public are strongly advised to stay indoors if possible while the storm is in progress

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Shane O' Malley

Dublin
    Today

Extremely windy this afternoon, with some severe gusts, easing somewhat later this evening. Good dry periods but some heavy showers also. Highs of 6 or 7 degrees

Evening not afternoon. Not supposed to ease until after 7

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭snowstorm2013

I was talking to a work colleague in one of the Dublin councils and they have been told expect no more than a gale 8 in Dublin. The south took the battering but there is no indications that severe winds will hit here. Wexford is pretty normal also. It appears to have been confined to Clare Kerry and Cork. I am glad to hear no one was injured or killed and most of the damage is to trees rather than property. The gust of 99mph at Shannon is impressive!

Dublin
    Today

• Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Winds gusting close to 100km/hr at present 2.1C with a wind chill of -5.1, sleet turning more and more to snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Peter T

Ul and Ucc are on lockdown

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

• Registered Users Posts: 24,193 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

patneve2 wrote: »

Absolutely agreed. As the squeeze clears the Wicklow Mountains the SW of the City could be in bother, watch for Casement reports and caution on the M50, N4, N7 and in areas with old trees and buildings

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Stargate

leahyl wrote: »
    Doesn't sound as bad, was terrible earlier

leahy is right , was really bad earlier .

Tree down outside Togher Church ( Cork ) on the road , Kids Playing on it .
    Lots taking pics . That wind was just unnatural . Still blowing in gusts here on the southside of the city !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Weathering

Hooter23 wrote: »
    Their driving the global warming agenda again on Sky News its called winter God Damn it.......:mad:

Yes really bugged me. No mention of the severe cold a few winters ago just pushing his agenda

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭tiegan

Is this what you call nowcasting??
    Thank goodness for boards and its posters!!

Advertisement