Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Great Storm of Wednesday 12/02/2014

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Precious flower

Power gone at home in Ennis, trees down!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 105 ✭✭Endurance_man

Evening not afternoon. Not supposed to ease until after 7

Is 5pm not evening?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

Sheets of galvanized were flying around here like kites in west limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

1 knot shy of a full gale here. No exceptional gust speeds but frequency of them is becoming alarming. Wind is making growling noises.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 9,272 ✭✭✭squonk

I'm in UPC in LImerick. We're all told to stay indoors (which must be tough for the smokers) while the storm is in progress. Some bits of the roof from the Maldron Hotel just across the way blew off at lunchtime!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Villain, from this parish, on Joe Duffy now.

He better not be giving out about us hard worked MOD's

• Registered Users Posts: 24,194 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Weathering wrote: »
    Yes really bugged me. No mention of the severe cold a few winters ago just pushing his agenda

Evelyn said it best this morning, no one can say its global warming without the science of looking back in 100 years time.....

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Bicycle

LIMERICK CITY: Gardai are advising the public to stay indoors due to windblown slates and tiles coming off roofs.

There is a tree down on the Dock Rd by the Cement Factory but the road is passable.

There are two trees down on the Old Dublin Rd near Dalys Cross. Take an alternative route.

Condell Rd and Lower Shelbourne Rd are closed until further notice. Ennis Rd and Roses Ave is closed until further notice as is North Circular Rd, at Redgate
    Above from the AA

Just got a call from my son in Ard Scoil Ris to say the boys are being told to ring their parents and ask if they are being collected.

Laurel Hill has cancelled study but I've told my daughter to stay there until the wind dies down.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Some of the most sustained wind speeds I can remember it has that thunderous sound they talked about in old reports of the Night of the Big Wind :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Shane O' Malley

Is 5pm not evening?

Later in the evening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Mean speed 34 knots. A full gale reached here in NE Galway, and well inland too.

New Moon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭oak5548

Larbre34 wrote: »
    .RTE News, Corrrrrrrk.

I lol'd. Kilkenny actually :D

Anyway, I managed to drag it back up the garden and secure it. The plastic was acting as a sail and was catching the wind!

While outside I noticed the big vertical gutter pipe yoke was ripped off its brackets from my house. :(

Its absolutely mental out there. Lights are flickering now and no phone signal.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,427 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Seems to be calming down a little bit in Shannon at the moment. It's gone from insanely stormy to just stormy

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Gusting over 100 km/h in Waterford now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

Updated charts anyone? Met Eireann useless.

Also, anything further on reports of airplane overturned in Shannon?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

1.8C with wet snow falling, stormy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭sunbeam

Electricity has just gone here in Achill. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭Bsal

Shannon airport the last 1hr :eek:

EINN 121430Z 26050G73KT 3000 R24/1900U R06/1800U SHRA FEW006 BKN012 BKN019CB 04/02 Q0968 NOSIG

EINN 121400Z 26058G79KT 2000 R24/1600D R06/1000D SHRA FEW006 BKN012 BKN018CB 04/03 Q0965 NOSIG

EINN 121330Z 26051G79KT 4500 SHRA FEW007 SCT012 BKN018CB 05/03 Q0961 NOSIG

max gust 86kts at Shannon so far

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭paddymc1

Lights doing a bit of flickering here in Celbridge Kildare and the wind is not picked up yet....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

Getting very bad in claregalway more gusts than sustained but very strong

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

My internet service just went here in Carlow.

Lots of big snow flakes mixed in with the rain now and tonnes of Denis hitting the windows.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭GE90

Heard masive crash outside, opened front door to see the massive oak tree out the back has falled true my garage and crushed my car. Thinks are mental here in clare. Will try and get a pick up, power is gone aswell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

RobertKK wrote: »
    1.8C with wet snow falling, stormy.

Are you on high ground?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Useless? :rolleyes: The most detailed charts are on Met Eireann. HIRLAM nailed this almost perfectly.

http://www.met.ie/forecasts/short-range.asp

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Avoid Killarney, over 100 trees down and a roof has blown off a nursing home.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

omicron wrote: »
    I know people don't like complaints against Met Eireanns warnings but they completely under-called this one. Limerick, Clare and Galway were on Orange warnings for winds up to a few minutes ago despite 100mph gusts recorded.

Counties such as Tipperary and Kilkenny were on Yellow warnings - Kilkenny city recorded a gust of 115km/hr (at ground level afaik, not 10m) before the weather station stopped reporting.

In fairness to met.ie it was only after the 18Z's rolled out that the full picture was available. There had been fluctuating upgrades and downgrades for 24hrs before that with the maximum gust over land shown as 140-150km/h on any of them, even the most extreme. (still over the threshold for red warnings, but these were amindst other models showing different things).

They should have released the red warning around 9.30 for safety's sake and copped out by waiting until midnight. Same with the warning upgrades today. That's the only thing they've done wrong here - everything else was fairly spot on.

I'm a fairly amateur contributor here but I think met.ie have done a very decent job in the last few weeks and the only thing they're guilty of is not wanting to raise a false alarm. Unfortunately that's a bit of a cardinal sin in a case like this in that you should always err on the side of caution but it's still the only part of the whole thing they've got wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭microsim

Yikes! If that's true, then that's your main story right there

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Vinz Mesrine

This is Shannon airport

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭dee_mc

GE90 wrote: »
    Heard masive crash outside, opened front door to see the massive oak tree out the back has falled true my garage and crushed my car. Thinks are mental here in clare. Will try and get a pick up, power is gone aswell.

So sorry to hear that, we're watching our old hayshed swaying in the wind and hoping if it falls it will miss the car. Absolutely no way we can safely move it. (Also in Clare)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭tphase

easing off in the west now, mean wind speeds around 29m/s, gusts in the low 30's and pressure is rising

Advertisement