Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Great Storm of Wednesday 12/02/2014

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭snowstorm2013

Says the man who lives in Sligo one minute and west Dublin the next

Yes you are correct. Two days a week in Dublin and the rest in Sligo. Its only 2.75 hours on the motorway. Now that I have clarified that can you explain why you mentioned that please?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Wind beginning to pick up here now, I am very exposed here so expecting some big gusts.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭feelgoodinc27

No trains leaving heuston at the moment, south and west lines seriously affected:
    http://www.irishrail.ie/news/delays-to-services-between-cork-and-mallow-tralee-and-cork-and-cobh-and-middleton

• Registered Users Posts: 5,008 ✭✭✭opus

Red Nissan wrote: »
    293527.jpg

Dashcam passing Cork Con and it's new building, part of which is now a mangled heap.

Wind slowing blowing F6 now My record is 70km/h @ 13:22

UCC is closing, all students advised to leave now.

Coincidentally I was walking back to one of the UCC buildings from lunch when I got that text. Wasn't as bad as I expected around the city centre but I did spot a tree down on Pope's Quay.

Power has been flicking like crazy since this morning although looks to have stabilised a bit now.

Hopefully the worst is over in Cork at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,287 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

CORK CITY: Lee Rd is now impassable due to flooding; the river has burst its banks.

Was already impassable due to a fallen tree anyway I think Maq!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

CORK CITY: Lee Rd is now impassable due to flooding; the river has burst its banks.

High tides 16:15 I think

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Saganist

Not sure if already posted, but this is a good example of how windy its been

http://www.rte.ie/news/player/2014/0212/20524293-limerick-boat-club-roof-is-blown-off-in-strong-winds/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,713 ✭✭✭eireannBEAR

The old lady next door just called into me saying her phone lines down i could see she was upset so i gathered my composure,looked her in the eyes and said **** YOU OLD LADY WERE ALL GOING TO DIE!!

Seriously though now my back fence just blew down....this is going to cost a few quid

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

DONT FEED THE TROLL PLEASE FOLKS, JUST REPORT

• Registered Users Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

No trains leaving heuston at the moment, south and west lines seriously affected:
    http://www.irishrail.ie/news/delays-to-services-between-cork-and-mallow-tralee-and-cork-and-cobh-and-middleton

Doesn't say nothing leaving Heuston ?!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

Just about the worst storm Limerick city has ever seen I would say.

Tiles down in many places along with trees etc.

Worst has passed now.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Mace Head recorded a gust of 83kts in the last hour, Belmullet 55kts, it is horrendous outside now in Castlebar, cannot even start to think how bad it has been elsewhere down the south.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭KingdomRushed

Yes you are correct. Two days a week in Dublin and the rest in Sligo. Its only 2.75 hours on the motorway. Now that I have clarified that can you explain why you mentioned that please?

It's not nice to be asked to prove you are telling the truth about something is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭Scartbeg

Was just out propping up our fence which was leaning precariously - heard a crash and had to dodge a dozen slates blown off our roof. Not worth it, the fence can take it's chances!

Hopefully this lull in the wind is coming our way soon

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,713 ✭✭✭eireannBEAR

Any news on when this is expected to end??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

The fence beside my house at home in Tuam is gone too, storm is moving further north, worst wind of the winter and we've had a few bad ones. Not looking forward to my daily 50 mile drive home later on.

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Blackdragon

Any news on when this is expected to end??

Met alert is in place until 6pm now it seems....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

Really starting to pick up in Monasterevin now.

Hope its not too damaging.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭loubian

Wind is starting to increase in Dublin 13

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Tssk

Shocking in Galway..Came to a complete stop cycling downhill in the gusts..Nearly got swept under a couple cars going up Bohermore!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

Met Eireann got this one badly wrong again. This warranted a red alert for counties outside Cork and Kerry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

Seems to be easing a bit in Kilkenny. Still strong gusts but no longer constant.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 194 ✭✭D.Campbell

Judging by some of the previous posts should i expect the end of the world this evening, its grand and calm here at the moment.
    haha no but hear enough , I did not a bit of work today will be fired :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

It seems met eireann cried wolf
    not good enough how come we all called it here!!!

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

What's the expected weather for Dublin? On mobile so can't see the maps. Will be on the road from 6, but want to to text home whether to bring the dog in or not!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,954 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Galway Update
    Connacht Tribune - Connacht Sentinel - Galway City Tribune
    3.20pm STORM UPDATE:
    * Bus Eireann has suspended all city services due to high winds.
    * Tree down on Monivea Road at Crown site
    * Tree down near Glenlo Abbey
    * Fallen ESB pole partially blocking Pier rpad at Ros a' Mhíl
    * Westside Library has closed for the afternoon after windows were smashed by storm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

Working in Dublin 13, winds picking up quite a lot over the past half hour. Sky darkening, too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

Through this all, lets hope no one has been seriously hurt or worse, would be a miracle if all the reports are true.

Advertisement