Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Great Storm of Wednesday 12/02/2014

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭degsie

Oh, oh... getting bad in West Dublin, severe wind....lights just flickered...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

Heavy rain just started in dublin 13

• Registered Users Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

Heavy rain just started in dublin 13

Get back to work :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭Says I To Bridey

Hit at pretty much bang on 3:15 here in Laois. Relatively calm beforehand then ramped up out of nowhere. Mid-sized tree down at the end of the garden, had a look and totally snapped at the base, lying in on top of other trees. Hedge leaning in towards the house too, wouldn't be surprised if some of it gets blown out by the end of the day

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

patneve2 wrote: »
    ouch, first violent gusts here

+1 .. wind starting to ramp up in D18. Intermittent gusts so far

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Roof blown from stand in Nowlan park Kilkenny.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭Tropheus

Breezy here in North County Dublin, but nothing more. I was expecting it to be a lot worse particularly as I'm on the coast. Have we seen the worst of it for Dublin?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭shroom007

Peter T wrote: »

this is very cool for those who missed this post earlier and it getting a bit
    feisty in Dublin City Centre

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Is it not a case of most of the other storms over the winter happened over night so this one appears much more severe as it occurred during the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,659 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

leahyl wrote: »
    How's Friday looking?

wondering too. trees down all over the place in north cork , part of one of our main sheds have blown off, and would like to know if there is a possibility of fridays weather being as bad, if so will have to try repair the roof tomorrow or could lose the whole roof.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭oak5548

Anybody from Kilkenny town? Need some updates on whats happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

um again not sure how these gusts compare to earlier, but there fairly strong gust blowing on the northside of Cork City right now

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭yaledo

Limerick was battered between 13:00 and 14:30 by violent wind like I've never experienced before.

For the last hour (14:50 to 15:50) the wind has settled down & seems more like just a 'normal' windy day now.

I'm considering driving from Limerick to Galway at 18:00, so I'm particularly grateful to ppl from Limerick, Clare & Galway who keep contributing to this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭joegriffinjnr

Getting very dark in Santry now, winds picking up and rain has started.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

Power just gone in Monasterevin :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

Is it not a case of most of the other storms over the winter happened over night so this one appears much more severe as it occurred during the day.

No, its a case of 170 km/h gusts in the SW, 40 km/h higher than anything we've had this winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,012 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Dying down in Wexford now, Nothing much all day really except for a half hour period where it got stormy. Hope everyone further north stays safe,

Its at its most intense phase crossing over the country. Its a timing and track event that very rarely happens. Time of day has nothing to do with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

No. Things like trees and buildings don't care if it's night or day. Way more damage done today than anytime in recent memory.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Xxhaylsxx

ME appear to have updated the red warning to include Leinster now too!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

Get back to work :D

Shopping centre is empty, I have no work to do!

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭Fitzo

Doesn't quite know what to do in Galway at the minute I feel.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

oak5548 wrote: »
    Anybody from Kilkenny town? Need some updates on whats happening.

I am, it's starting to die down a good bit compared to the madness of an hour ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Yeah, usually the night crew clear all those fallen trees from the road and restore power by 7am :p It probably does seem more severe since it's in daytime but by all accounts this is the way worse than anything the country has had in years, probably in over a decade.

Leinster is now part of the red warning.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭jkforde

yaledo wrote: »
    I'm considering driving from Limerick to Galway at 18:00, so I'm particularly grateful to Limerick, Clare & Galway who keep contributing to this thread.

only if it's essential I'd say. if you do travel take it very handy on the exposed sections of the motorway, the gusts here are savage

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

degsie wrote: »
    Oh, oh... getting bad in West Dublin, severe wind....lights just flickered...

Yep it's bad now where I am in D15 ... I'm seeing people outside literally being blown back in their steps by the force of the wind. Would hate to be out in that!

Few trees looking quite shaky too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭red_bairn

6th floor in Amnesty International (Fleet St) building and it's moving...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,713 ✭✭✭eireannBEAR

Guys any idea when this expected to calm down???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Stargate

This is how bad the wind was in Cork City at 12 noon today .

Advertisement