Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Great Storm of Wednesday 12/02/2014

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Wow, 260,000 customers without power.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,713 ✭✭✭eireannBEAR

Now my back gutters gone!!!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Yip...Status Red warning update:

STATUS RED

Wind Warning for Munster, Connacht and Leinster

Very stormy with violent winds for a time this evening. Westerly winds of mean speeds of 80 to 100km/h with very severe squalls of 130 to 170km/h.

Issued:Wednesday 12 February 2014 15:00
    Valid:Wednesday 12 February 2014 15:00 to Wednesday 12 February 2014 19:00

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭luimneachboy

Fair play to mt cranium---- got the wind timing for north kerry, west limerick spot on. Between 11.30 and 1.30 the place fell apart. Trees down everywhere and structural damage.phone lines and esb lines down everywhere. Going forward mt cranium is the man to listen to!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,201 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Wow, 260,000 customers without power.

Change your handle to Powercheck for the day thats in it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,417 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Leinster is now part of the red warning.

That's really helpful for us here in Kilkenny where the storm has died down now....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

News from abroad: UK's Radio 4 news leading with "worst storms in living memory".

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭Gambas

Fitzo wrote: »
    Windy as sin in Newcastle in Galway, but nothing madly out of the ordinary in all honesty. Few bins asunder.

We seem to have gotten off very lightly. It's a total anticyclone, sorry, anticlimax.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭unkymo

A round-up of what happened in Kerry earlier on;

http://www.radiokerry.ie/news/1pm-storm-damage-report/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

Guys any idea when this expected to calm down???

Depends on where you are located. In dublin - few hours, I'd guess, since it has barely started!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭polaris68

shroom007 wrote: »
    this is very cool for those who missed this post earlier and it getting a bit
    feisty in Dublin City Centre

Don't know how accurate that is but it does appear that the tightest isobars are feeding the strongest winds across Clare/South Galway directly over to Waterford/Wexford.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 jenny rennie

Details of Kilkenny. Has the worst past here now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭whitebriar

Horrendous here near Arklow for the last 2hrs.
    Easily the worst I've experienced on the farm.
    No power obviously.
    Several huge trees down

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Weathering

All of Ireland in Red warning now except for Ulster but the Met office just upgraded NI wind warning so watch this space. Lots of snow still lying here btw

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Worst I have ever seen in N Cork, major damage to sheds, ridge tiles, tiles, shoots, trees etc. ... Roads like an obstacle course around these parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

O/T but does anybody know if you can burn a stove with back boiler if there is no power. Will it blow up with no pump running.

Wind so strong here now I am scared to stand at Windows. Just outside Monasterevin.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

oak5548 wrote: »
    Anybody from Kilkenny town? Need some updates on whats happening.

City....:mad:

Ha. Anyway, Nowlan park roof gone so dont attend any hurling games, road to stoneyford from davefort M9 junction closed, ring road partially closed, greens bridge closed, kells road closed, go to kclr website for updates tbh

i think it's not as bad as it was

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,713 ✭✭✭eireannBEAR

RTE news now is a joke!!!! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭paulusdu

Anyone else here watch that video from Stargate and think of the Ents in Lord of the Rings ? Maybe i am too much of a nerd.

Wind still gusting strongly in East Galway, but it has dies down from about an hour ago, more time between gusts too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

Starting to howl a bit in Howth. Rainy, but nothing spectacular wind-wise (yet).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Its mad how many updates they have done today , but as was said from the beginning it would be a fluid situation

293545.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

very bad in D14 now. Severe gusts and very heavy bursts of icy rain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

Very strong intermittent gusts. add 15 knots to these gusts and you've got trees down

• Registered Users Posts: 28,130 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Trees down all over co wexford from reports. Had a big evergreen come down across the road from my office and block both lanes of traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,201 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

News from abroad: UK's Radio 4 news leading with "worst storms in living memory".

Nobody alive from 1961,87,88,91,97???

I hate lazy tabloid weather b0ll0x journalism, youd think the BBC would know better than to call it without any of the verified data in, which wont happen for days.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭diceyd

getting some serious gusts here now

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

First violent gusts arriving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭shroom007

Now my back gutters gone!!!

I hear ya my is rattling away like a rattling thing Im just waiting for the ripping sound

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭Daz_

Where the hell were Met Eireann on this one ? ! Asleep at the wheel?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

House shaking now in Malahide.

Here we go.

Advertisement