Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Great Storm of Wednesday 12/02/2014

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭telecaster

Horizontal rain in Cavan. Very strong winds. No tech equipment to give anything more accurate.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Faustino

Bits of trees coming off a bunch at the back of the apartment complex in Dublin 4, far worse than Stephens Night already, another hour before it really kicks in. Car alarms going off left right n center.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭blobbyblob

Storm Advisory - Following Roads are Closed Due to the Storm - Last Updated 15:48pm

Loose slates coming from No. 6 John's Quay, (building on John's Bridge side of carpark).It is extremely dangerous as the slates are flying over the building and into the library carpark.
    Dublin Road closed from Mc Donagh Station to Dublin Road Rbt due to fallen trees. Local access only.
    AA Roadwatch Reports that The N10/ Ring Rd is closed between Johnswell Rd R/A all the way to Bennetsbridge R/A due to fallen trees. http://theAA.ie/Roadwatch
    An Garda Síochána Report N10/ Ring Road Ring road, kilkenny City completely shut down on the Dublin side, diversions in place. Traffic still moving both directions of R639 Kilkenny
    Circular Road Kilkenny City is closed.
    Annamult road in Bennettsbridge is closed due to fallen trees
    Be advised that the R705 between Graiguemanagh and the Rower is closed due to falling trees
    Airmount Road , Slieverue closed with fallen trees.
    2 trees down at Royal Oak, Goresbridge.
    Following Road have trees down here in the Kilkeny City & Environs
    College Road @ St. Kieran's, Kilkenny City
    Reports that Sion Road Kilkenny City is blocked due to fallen tree
    Green street, Kilkenny City
    Selville Lodge, Callan Road
    Sheastown
    New Street at the Cash & Carry
    Bohernatounish Road, Loughbouy
    Reports of trees down at Tennypark, Callan Rd. and road blocked at Troyswood, Freshford Rd.

The public are advised to stay indoors if possible while the storm is in progress.

Kilkenny County Council
    Roads Section

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

RTÉ News ‏@rtenews 40s

A state of emergency has been issued for Co Kilkenny following damage caused by high winds

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Expect thread to take off soon as the winds hit Dublin.

I'm estimating a gust to 72 knots @ Dublin Airport or Casement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,417 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Sky King wrote: »
    City....:mad:

Ha. Anyway, Nowlan park roof gone so dont attend any hurling games, road to stoneyford from davefort M9 junction closed, ring road partially closed, greens bridge closed, kells road closed, go to kclr website for updates tbh

i think it's not as bad as it was

The old or new stands? Was sirens going here goodo for hours there and traffic chaos. Seems to have completely died down now, thank god.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

In D1 it seems pretty quiet still. Expecting it to get a bit nuts any time now!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭demakinz

Wow, 260,000 customers without power.

66bEf6.png

:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

It's died down a small bit in Limerick now but there were 2 hours there during which I have never seen such violent wind. Stay safe if you're due in the path of this soon, it's an absolute monster

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

The wind is picking up here now with max gust 56 knots.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭Fitzo

Gambas wrote: »
    We seem to have gotten off very lightly. It's a total anticyclone, sorry, anticlimax.

Just saw that Westside library has had it's windows blown out. That's only around the corner from me!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,713 ✭✭✭eireannBEAR

Its going to last all night,none of us will have power by the end of this!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭woody1

Tzardine wrote: »
    O/T but does anybody know if you can burn a stove with back boiler if there is no power. Will it blow up with no pump running.

Wind so strong here now I am scared to stand at Windows. Just outside Monasterevin.

pump needs power to ciruclate the hot water, without that theres a pressure build up and thats not good ! id be letting it die down..

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Very stormy in many areas with very severe and dangerous winds.
    Widespread heavy rain or showers and local spot flooding. Scattered thunderstorms also.

Met.ie describing the winds as "dangerous" now. Commuter time and these winds is a bad mix, I really hope nobody is injured or worse.

Some wild gusts now in Trim, really picked up in the last half hour.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 194 ✭✭D.Campbell

shroom007 wrote: »
    I hear ya my is rattling away like a rattling thing Im just waiting for the ripping sound
    My shoot went if thats what you call it but to be honest if thats all that went wrong I dont mind after seeing all the pictures on here, may all your bad luck go with it :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

1798036_3951265358061_1351393325_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭BlueFairy

If there's now a red warning for Leinster, is it going to be a bad idea to travel home from work around 5pm?

Don't fancy a LUAS journey over the M50 at the foot of the Dublin mountains if the winds will be as bad as they have been on the other side of the country!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Limerick boat club as its roof is torn off
    https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=739897959356336

I missed the bit of wind earlier in Dundalk. Barely a breath of wind at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Red warning still in place for Munster - winds have died down considerably here though - well in Cork anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭jo06555

Whats the outlook for munster in the next few hours..????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭loubian

My sky tv id starting to flicker!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Woohoo my pic is on RTE news! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

BlueFairy wrote: »
    If there's now a red warning for Leinster, is it going to be a bad idea to travel home from work around 5pm?

Don't fancy a LUAS journey over the M50 at the foot of the Dublin mountains if the winds will be as bad as they have been on the other side of the country!

Immediatelyto the northern side of the Dublin mountains is about as close to sheltered as you can get in this, but still not much good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭shroom007

D.Campbell wrote: »
    My shoot went if thats what you call it but to be honest if thats all that went wrong I dont mind after seeing all the pictures on here, may all your bad luck go with it :rolleyes:

what

• Registered Users Posts: 9,456 ✭✭✭Macy0161

woody1 wrote: »
    pump needs power to ciruclate the hot water, without that theres a pressure build up and thats not good ! id be letting it die down..
    Yeah, I have ours just ticking over the last while, hopefully to get going again later.

Really picked up near Roundwood the last half hour/ 45 minutes. Had a 10 second power outage about 10 minutes ago. Lashing sleet the last half hour or so. Haven't had the station long, and it's in a crap position for wind, but I've had a 10 minute average of 73.7km/h and a gust of 85.7km/h (also a highest daily rainfall already).

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

fairly wild driving on the M50 from Sandyford to Red Cow

some of the gusts were savage

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

Sarsfield St, Limerick

aHx5IR9.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭eire-kp

Its wild in Rathmines now. Not sure if this link was put up yet
    https://twitter.com/Comeragh_/status/433615094506086400/photo/1

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭sopretty

the sound of the wind down the chimney is ferocious (and doing my head in).

Advertisement