Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Great Storm of Wednesday 12/02/2014

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

leahyl wrote: »
    Red warning still in place for Munster - winds have died down considerably here though - well in Cork anyway

still fairly gusty up here on the north side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

Gusting 60 knots now, it's really picking up.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭BlueFairy

sdeire wrote: »
    Immediatelyto the northern side of the Dublin mountains is about as close to sheltered as you can get in this, but still not much good.

Thank you, I'd only be going as far as Stepaside, but a 20 min walk from the LUAS stop then afterwards. Will just have to judge what it's like come 5pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Bicycle

The University of Limerick has now been evacuated.

Scary scary stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

Roof has collapsed at a petrol station outside Charleville Co. Cork

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BgSSIl2CIAE6LSe.jpg

Lorry lifted and blown on its side by severe gusts in Kerry

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BgSNCSwIMAAt99b.jpg

AA Roadwatch
    The M8 Cork/Dublin Rd is closed both ways at J15 Fermoy South and at J9 Cashel South. Diversion in place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭Jimjay

In Greystones. Sounds like a constant jet plane outside the house. Don't remember seeing it like this before and its only just started picking up. Have to do an airport run at 830pm, hope its calmed down by then as not looking forward to going out.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,946 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Shannon Airport, Gust to 158kmh (98mph) with mean windspeeds of 108kmh (67mph) according to @irelandsweather

• Registered Users Posts: 14,513 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Friday night into Saturday, there has been a slow northwest drift on track for this storm and I see that the 12z GFS continues that trend, but in any case it does not (yet) look severe for winds in Ireland, certainly a good strong gradient but most of the energy is going to head across Spain, northwest France and Britain. This assessment could change if we get any further track changes. But the main problem with this system would be potential for more unwelcome rain and some slushy snow accumulations on higher ground, the wind will be generally in the 50-90 km/hr range from the looks of the current model output. With the GFS latest shift west, it could start off fairly mild Friday night in the east but it will be a raw cold northeast wind on the west side of the track.

I might have a totally different view of this next storm after some later model runs, right now I have come to the end of a 16-hour day more or less, just pulled an all-nighter in my time zone following the storm with you all, and thanks for the comments, a tip of the hat to Maq for continuously leading the way with the right selection of guidance to focus our attention on the severe potential, and also to moderators for keeping on top of the situation that was developing yesterday so that we had thread titles to match expectations.

Wish I could stay awake for the finale of this storm but I am hitting the wall now -- and I heard a bang. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Do not think elect will last soon here has turn violent rapidly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

sopretty wrote: »
    the sound of the wind down the chimney is ferocious (and doing my head in).

Ditto that, rather scary isn't it?

Things have quietened down in Waterford, still gusting but nothing like two hours ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Easing a little bit here in Castlebar after a very scary few hours. once again a credit to Maq,WC,MT and Met Eireann(of course that's their job) for all the charts over the past few days in which a very dangerous storm followed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Nobody alive from 1961,87,88,91,97???

I hate lazy tabloid weather b0ll0x journalism, youd think the BBC would know better than to call it without any of the verified data in, which wont happen for days.

A bit premature from you as well. In context, "Worst in living memory" is presumably what people were calling it, and it may well be the case for certain areas.

We'll see.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,201 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Dublin Bay is a tempest all of a sudden, can only imagine what it would have been like if an easterly

Gusting Force 10 in Dun Laoghaire now, and thats relatively sheltered.....

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Do not think elect will last soon here has turn violent rapidly.

You in Portmarnock per your profile location?

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Belfunk

Just received this on twitter

• Registered Users Posts: 20,659 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

just wondering, a tree fell on one of our lorries while driving today i was just told, who would be responsible for the damage to the lorry ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

Lights flickered there, it looks like electricity will go in this area later when it hits it's peak. Hopefully not though. I have a feeling this is going to be very bad later.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Cork seen the worst of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Nothing major here....yet, windy alright with light rain, would i be right in thinking we"ll miss the worst of it

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Super hoop

Getting very wild here in East meath with very strong gusts of wind.lashing rain too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

zenno wrote: »
    Lights flickered there, it looks like electricity will go in this area later when it hits it's peak. Hopefully not though. I have a feeling this is going to be very bad later.

Same in Balbriggan

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

2smiggy wrote: »
    just wondering, a tree fell on one of our lorries while driving today i was just told, who would be responsible for the damage to the lorry ?

The driver obviously, for not flooring it, doing a handbrake turn, skidding the lorry sideways under the tree, missing it by inches and quipping a funny one-liner at the dashcam before shooting a terrorist and snogging some young wan wearing overly constricting upper body clothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

RTE Drivetime starting lets hear their coverage.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Belfunk wrote: »
    Just received this on twitter

Yes, trees down all over the place, pretty much every road in and out of the city has trees and poles down. Damage to some buildings too. Elec and water off in parts of the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

God

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Nothing major here....yet, windy alright with light rain, would i be right in thinking we"ll miss the worst of it

Where in Meath are you???

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭paperclipgrad

Suddenly very dark here in Limerick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

Will peak in about an hour I'd say

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

God.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Super hoop wrote: »
    Getting very wild here in East meath with very strong gusts of wind.lashing rain too

Whereabouts are you, im north of slane and theres nothing major happening here, its windy alright and the rain is light, wind making it look worse then it is.

Advertisement