Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Great Storm of Wednesday 12/02/2014

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭woody1

Easing a little bit here in Castlebar after a very scary few hours. once again a credit to Maq,WC,MT and Met Eireann(of course that's their job) for all the charts over the past few days in which a very dangerous storm followed.

in ballina / crossmolina.. yeah a bad hour there, not bad at times and then mental at other times.. some really bad sustained gusts.. but seems to be chilling out a bit at the moment ..hoepfully stays that way

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭sopretty

mike65 wrote: »
    Ditto that, rather scary isn't it?

Things have quietened down in Waterford, still gusting but nothing like two hours ago.

It's an angry sort of sound! :eek:
    Have the TV turned way up to try to hear it over the howling!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭galwaybabe

It's picked up again here in Kinvara. I thought it had moved on but clearly not yet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,882 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

PauloMN wrote: »
    Where in Meath are you???

about 4miles north of slane.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭shroom007

patneve2 wrote: »
    Will peak in about an hour I'd say

they just said on rte weather that it will be worst for the east coast later as it travels north, the north west and east coast.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

dave1982 wrote: »
    Cork seen the worst of it?

I thought so but then I read this on facebook:

"We've just received a red alert severe wind warning for Cork and Kerry late afternoon and early evening. Winds are expected to reach up to 110mph or 170khm off the South West coast. Please take care, keep an eye on your neighbours and the elderly, and keep dogs locked in where possible. Daniel Crown" :confused:

This was only posted 40 minutes ago

From TheLiberal.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Ah a bit of snow now falling in the howling wind in N. Cork - that's nice :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

AH! Roof has just decided to leak. Well, roof/velux window. Wind from the west, sloped roof facing east. Sucking the water in, I'd guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 253 ✭✭Super hoop

Whereabouts are you, im north of slane and theres nothing major happening here, its windy alright and the rain is light, wind making it look worse then it is.

In stamullen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 998 ✭✭✭dharma200

Thought this was a bit ironic....

'The Met Eireann radar at Shannon Airport has been blown away - or at least badly damaged. It is currently offline. The weather people have said that repairs will be made as oon as possible.'
    http://liveblog.irishtimes.com/a61368e271/LIVE-The-Daily-Wire/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Nobody alive from 1961,87,88,91,97???

I hate lazy tabloid weather b0ll0x journalism, youd think the BBC would know better than to call it without any of the verified data in, which wont happen for days.

Floods that has come with the storms. Not just today's storm?

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭laois gael

Portlaoise got it really bad there from about 2:50pm till about 4:15pm it was scary good few trees down god only know what other damage is done.

Its just calmed a small bit now seems to be works its way from the south to the North east...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 847 ✭✭✭wicklowdub

Getting very stormy now in the last half hour in Greystones, slates rattling like mad on the roof when it gusts. Any idea how long it will last ?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

about 4miles north of slane.

Well it's very stormy in Trim now, with some really strong gusts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Would have been a nightmare if this happened at night with so many trees blocking roads. The daylight has probably saved numerous accidents.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Absolutely crazy day near Mallow. I have never seen such violent gusts since at least 1997. The full aftermath won't become clear until tomorrow.

I think the met Eireann will have serious questions to answer over alerts given but that's for another day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 798 ✭✭✭maiden

Are we over the worst in Ennis, dying down but it was very bad!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭bennyl10

high tide not due in limerick until half 5.. river already burst banks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,202 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

260,000 without power

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,882 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Super hoop wrote: »
    In stamullen

ah ive relatives there, ye get the worst of any bad weather, plenty of height up there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,780 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

A plane slow motion landing into Dublin Airport now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭dacogawa

Robbed from Twitter, Limerick right now :O

BgSYXXMCUAEjJZJ.jpg

Gusts really picking up in D4

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

Hope the leccy doesn't go just put on pot of stew (all electric apartment :o)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭SeaBreezes

Met Eireann just released another severe weather warning for the south west from 15.00 to 19.00? I thought we in cork were through the worst, is there a reload on the way?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 105 ✭✭Endurance_man

Absolutely crazy day near Mallow. I have never seen such violent gusts since at least 1997. The full aftermath won't become clear until tomorrow.

I think the met Eireann will have serious questions to answer over alerts given but that's for another day.

Very true. But who will hold them accountable?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭Trebor176

It's treacherous here in Ballymount. I don't think I've ever seen it this bad. The roof sounds like it will be blown off.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 grenouille

Red alert for Leinster now!!! Desperate winds in west Dublin now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Crazy! Now snowing about 7 miles SW of Mallow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

never seen wind like it right now. on the quays in waterford city, buildings losing slates etc. seems the worst winds are just off the south east corner of the country at the moment.

331gm0h.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

BLIZZARD7 wrote: »
    very bad in D14 now. Severe gusts and very heavy bursts of icy rain.

Isn't this better than snow? :)

New Moon

Advertisement