Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Great Storm of Wednesday 12/02/2014

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

Possibly less hazardous to cross the N4 at Liffey Valley at road level rather than the overhead bridge :O Made it.

So strange to hear wind like this during the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

Hueston to Galway train delayed now damaged lines and trees on track

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

Squalls up to 170km, now that's proper wind.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,427 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Seriously impressive winds here, anemometer on house roof just recorded 96.6 km/h which is about 15km/h higher than previous record. Its not at standard height, would guess gusts at official height are probably in excess of 120km/h currently.

Neighbours brick garden wall has blown down onto the street behind. What a mess! Would say the gusts of Dun Laoghaire pier are impressive.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

Howling winds in Firhouse/Tallaght ATM

Debris (and Denis!) flying all over the place.

Went out at 3pm to collect something, was a grand day. Home by 3.30pm, and Armageddon kicked in bout a half hour later. Denis flying all over the place now, and winds as strong as I ever remember around here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 Star Rise

Just back from walking dogs. Gusty but within comfort levels. Murphy's farm has few trees down but that's all, incredibly. Could do with clarification on continued red alert for Munster. I thought it had passed us in cork city.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Gust to 66 knots @ Dublin Airport now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭SnowDrifts

N11 closed both directions at Newcastle, Wicklow. Double bad because it will force drivers to use tree lined back roads as alternatives.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

It's called Storm Darwin, according to RTE Radio One.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭loubian

Getting fairly strong in Dublin 13. Kinda scary!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭partay pooper

Went out at 3pm to collect something, was a grand day. Home by 3.30pm, and Armageddon kicked in bout a half hour later. Denis flying all over the place now, and winds as strong as I ever remember around here.

poor Denis

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭sundula

Why don't we name our storms ?

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭mrtom

Any links to real time web cam showing landings at dublin Airport? No departs and loads in holding pattern pre devert.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,190 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Soft day thank deity.

I couldnt recommend @aaroadwatch on twitter highly enough tonight, their website is down and they know about it, but the twitter updates are comprehensive

In short:

N11 blocked at Kilcroney due to downed power lines

No rail between Arklow and Gorey

No rail out of Heuston

Fallen trees on M9, N25, N71, N20, N10, N81

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

SnowDrifts wrote: »
    N11 closed both directions at Newcastle, Wicklow. Double bad because it will force drivers to use tree lined back roads as alternatives.

Heard that - odd one, because the N11 doesn't go through Newcastle. Any idea where they are sending the traffic?

Heard that - odd one, because the N11 doesn't go through Newcastle. Any idea where they are sending the traffic?

I think they mean in the vicinity of Newcastle and Kilcroney but on the N11 itself

Traffic could divert off at Newtownmountkennedy and follow the old road to Ashford...

• Administrators Posts: 53,847 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

What's the deal with Dublin - when can we expect this to die down a bit? Does the 7pm time given before still apply?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Lights beginning to flicker.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,297 ✭✭✭Jaxxy

A 30 ft pole from next door's roof just fell on ours. It's a huge thing, it's level now, bridging the gap between our two houses. Few tiles gone, should be okay if it doesn't get blown off the roof. Dublin West/Clonee area, it's bad out here.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Itsdacraic wrote: »
    No. Things like trees and buildings don't care if it's night or day. Way more damage done today than anytime in recent memory.

not in Galway there wasn't. Far more damage done during the last oranage warning than during this one. In fact the weather in general excluding the gusts was worse yesterday than today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Soft day thank deity.

I couldnt recommend @aaroadwatch on twitter highly enough tonight, their website is down and they know about it, but the twitter updates are comprehensive

In short:

N11 blocked at Kilcroney due to downed power lines

No rail between Arklow and Gorey

No rail out of Heuston

Fallen trees on M9, N25, N71, N20, N10, N81

Limited rail out of heuston. I'm on a Waterford train now, will be in sallins in about 10 mins

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭SnowDrifts

I think they mean where it bypasses Newcastle. Not sure on the re-route but would imagine it would be the coast road which not be ideal considering it's lined with trees.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Popoutman

YFlyer wrote: »
    Most of the yew tree down now? Was in canteen at lunch time to see part of it blown away.

Better information on the state of that section of UL (the people I was talking to weren't quite right..:
    935161_831892480170248_407929472_n.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭The Pheasant2

My friend is supposed to be flying into Dublin from London tonight - flight departs at 18:50...what are the chances that they'll be allowed fly?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭stooge

where is snowstorm2013? Wonder what he has to say for himself now that Dublin is getting battered! some vicious gusts now, so lucky this didnt occur later in the evening

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭paperclipgrad

I nominate this storm to be callled Storm Denis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

METARs at 1700 from airports:

Cork: Direction 270 wind 25KT
    Shannon: Direction 250 wind 30 Gust 41KT
    Baldonnell: Direction 250 wind 45 Gust 65KT
    Dublin: Direction 250 wind 44 Gust 61KT
    Belfast: Direction 240 wind 11KT

http://www.aviationweather.gov/adds/metars/?station_ids=EICK+EINN+EIME+EIDW+EGAA&std_trans=standard&chk_metars=on&hoursStr=most+recent+only&chk_tafs=on&submitmet=Submit

• Registered Users Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭Bummer1234

mrtom wrote: »
    Any links to real time web cam showing landings at dublin Airport? No departs and loads in holding pattern pre devert.

No webcam available but keep on eye on here

http://www.flightradar24.com/53.51,-5.98/9

My friend is supposed to be flying into Dublin from London tonight - flight departs at 18:50...what are the chances that they'll be allowed fly?

Less than 50/50. The Airport is posting that their schedule may be impacted. Probable divert to Belfast...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭jds0ur

Unlikely, delayed for sure if not cancelled, whats the flight number?

Advertisement