Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Great Storm of Wednesday 12/02/2014

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭partay pooper

huge tree down on the block Road in Portlaoise near the Hospital

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Sustained wind @ Dublin Airport now 48 knots gust 66 knots.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Got home to a gaping hole in my roof. I can see straight into the attic because the felt has torn where the tiles were.

There's about a dozen houses like mine in the estate.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Flan_Da_Man

Storm had died down for a bit but starting to roar here again in Ballsbridge Dublin.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCdX-e8jrjw&list=UUJdpZacdTLACqLFpz6OagYA&feature=share

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭Bits_n_Bobs

Any idea on what time things will die down in Dublin? I've an offer of a pint at 7.30 but it would involve 10 mins walk and possibly being wet. Christ what a pickle!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,339 ✭✭✭Artful_Badger

Will all be back to normal tomorrow or is this expected to last a couple days ?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,189 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

65 knots at Casement in the 4-5pm hour, sustained 45. Thats hefty.

If the 70 is to be broken in greater Dublin, itll probably be this hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Got home to a gaping hole in my roof. I can see straight into the attic because the felt has torn where the tiles were.

Where you based Fred?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

My friend is supposed to be flying into Dublin from London tonight - flight departs at 18:50...what are the chances that they'll be allowed fly?

If it's the Aer Lingus 247 from Gatwick (technically 19.00 departure) then it's zero chance - it has been cancelled.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

Sorry to hear that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭sundula

I nominate this storm to be callled Storm Denis.

No has to be called Evelyn.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Where you based Fred?

Arklow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭brian ireland

A bit windy here in Rush Co Dublin. Nothing too scary though...... Seen worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Pawack

Howth Co Dublin max gust 109 kmph. .

Will all be back to normal tomorrow or is this expected to last a couple days ?

Day off tomorrow, next landfall on Friday evening, could be a snowstorm thrown in for good measure as well....

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Larbre34 wrote: »
    65 knots at Casement in the 4-5pm hour, sustained 45. Thats hefty.

If the 70 is to be broken in greater Dublin, itll probably be this hour.

Damm mountains! :mad: Nothing anything like that dramatic here in Dublin 16. Just a breezy/windy afternoon!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭Sitec

I love storms.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭hawkwing

M50 from Dundrum to Palmerstown was dodgy enough,serious crosswinds in places,you would not drive with a high sided lorry on the windward side of you.Reasonable size branch down in Phoenix Park near hospital and some people having trouble walking around Chapelizod.Sleety too and looked like snow in the hills.Carnage on the IT network,started in Kerry and didn't spare anywhere and had taken out places as far north as Kilcullen and Tinahely by 1600.South Tipp pummeled with numerous trees down from talking with home.This was a big kick from Winter 13/14,wonder is there any more drama left:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Flan_Da_Man

its sitting right on top of us now.

http://earth.nullschool.net/#current/wind/surface/level/orthographic=-7.35,52.91,1239

Does anyone know what is happening tonight with regards to snowfall. I heard that the end of the belt would bring colder temps and wet snow. Is this right?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,713 ✭✭✭eireannBEAR

The storm is called Superman 4: The quest for peace... now drop it!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,339 ✭✭✭Artful_Badger

Sitec wrote: »
    I love storms.

Be all right if you didnt have to go out in it or deplete your life savings picking up after it.

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Damm mountains! :mad: Nothing anything like that dramatic here in Dublin 16. Just a breezy/windy afternoon!

Trees down in Ballinteer, Rathfarnham etc. Someone near you in getting hit...

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Aimsir

Dioes anyone know if storm coming back down south again tonight/evening

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭snowstorm2013

It got very windy here in lucan between 4 and now but there is now a very noticeable decrease in gust strength. Lots of wheelie bins blowing around but no damage. It was a sharp short burst of winds and probably the worst I have seen in a few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭username?!

Suppose to be heading down to Tralee from Dublin on Friday from the weekend, are the winds / flooding that bad that I should reconsider?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Gmol

Arklow.

God love you I was annoyed as our side gate blew down,and our Esb door smashed, weather here was awful today, btw hope all goes ok, know a guy who might be able to fix that for you PM if you want his number

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭Wurly

Yeah i'm supposed to be going to waterford tomorrow. Jaysis. I'll have to see what its like in the morning.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,907 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

wind is still bad here but nothing out of the ordinary, I get the feeling the wind we are getting ain't quite as bad was what happened across the south and south-west of the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭PG4000

For those with trouble trying to get on to the AA Roadwatch, their twitter is fairly useful.

https://twitter.com/aaroadwatch

• Advertisement

Aimsir wrote: »
    Dioes anyone know if storm coming back down south again tonight/evening

No. Maybe a bit of snow and ice for you.

Advertisement