Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Great Storm of Wednesday 12/02/2014

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

Aimsir wrote: »
    Dioes anyone know if storm coming back down south again tonight/evening

No, it's gone from here now. Met Eireann have updated places like Limerick to red alert, (about 6 hours too late).

Spectacular footage here of a roof getting blown off:

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/red-alert-almost-260000-homes-without-electricity-as-storms-batter-country-30000802.html

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Sorry to hear that.

Cheers. It's not too bad. I'll patch it up with some plastic from the inside once the winds settle down.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭Mince Pie

Anyone know what the weather is like tomorrow? Got a flight to catch tomorrow night and worried it might be cancelled.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭galwaybabe

Does anyone know if it will be calmed down tomorrow? Have to drive from Kinvara to Limerick in the afternoon

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

The view from my front room right now...

BgSkgDWCcAERnGT.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,189 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Mince Pie wrote: »
    Anyone know what the weather is like tomorrow? Got a flight to catch tomorrow night and worried it might be cancelled.

Itll be ok tomorrow, what you need to check is if the airport isnt damaged or your aircraft stranded in the wrong location, both may affect your flight.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Trees down in Ballinteer, Rathfarnham etc. Someone near you in getting hit...

Yeah...but...the petrol station is still intact. I was hoping for that to go! :P

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Gone calm now

Or maybe I'm in the eye of it :o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭Mince Pie

Itll be ok tomorrow, what you need to check is if the airport isnt damaged or your aircraft stranded in the wrong location, both may affect your flight.

:eek: Dublin airport so hoping it will be ok.

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Yeah...but...the petrol station is still intact. I was hoping for that to go! :P

Jaysis, and I thought you were one of the voices of reason around here Doc!

You wouldnt want to waste all those ciggies and p0rn :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

galwaybabe wrote: »
    Does anyone know if it will be calmed down tomorrow? Have to drive from Kinvara to Limerick in the afternoon

A typically Irish blustery, uncomfortably cold sunshine and showers kind of day. Should be grand.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Star Rise

Getting ugly again... Gusts picking up and large cloud bank racing in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭The Pheasant2

jds0ur wrote: »
    Unlikely, delayed for sure if not cancelled, whats the flight number?

FR537 - not certain what airport though

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭haminka

Windy in Navan but still relatively OK, no hard objects flying though. Went to fix the wheelie bins and my 42 kg got almost run over by one of them during one of the stronger gusts though. My two cats looked outside and decided to snuggle up beside me on the sofa instead of going out for a walk as they like doing in the afternoon.
    We live in a relatively sheltered area so hope it's not going to hit us hard. My thoughts with those who suffered damage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

1730 winds:

Cork: Direction 260 wind 27KT Gust 39KT
    Shannon: Direction 250 wind 26KT
    Baldonnel: Direction 250 wind 45KT Gust 65KT
    Dublin: Direction 250 Wind 44KT Gust 65KT
    Belfast: Direction 250 wind 16KT

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭whiteandlight

ESB powercheck now working? Map has no faults showing for me which seems a bit wrong....

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭Jimjay

East Midlands Ryanair FR537 12 Feb 19:20 Delayed 20:30

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭KayPea

In south county Wexford and the wind was at shrieking level until about 40 mins ago, it eased down to a howl for a while but it seems to be working back up a bit again now despite the blue in the sky. Sorry no instruments to give a more technical description.

There are at least 5 large trees down this afternoon in my area and there is debris all over the roads. Worst storm of this year for our little spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,287 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Traffic very quiet on the way home, it's actually a lovely evening now, blustery and cold but sunny

• Registered Users Posts: 19,417 ✭✭✭✭road_high

East side of Kilkenny city totally gridlocked. Tree down on Castlecomer road by the old mart and barracks and is closed off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Day off tomorrow, next landfall on Friday evening, could be a snowstorm thrown in for good measure as well....

MT believes the worst of this will probably stay to our south unless it tracks further north.have the updated models brought it closer to
    us?

Howth gone a bit quieter. Roof stopped leaking for now. Trees not swaying so violently...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,501 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

ESB powercheck now working? Map has no faults showing for me which seems a bit wrong....

Not working for me either, has been out of action for the last hour or so.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Went out at 3pm to collect something, was a grand day. Home by 3.30pm, and Armageddon kicked in bout a half hour later. Denis flying all over the place now, and winds as strong as I ever remember around here.

Poor Denis is having a rough day. :(
    Got home to a gaping hole in my roof. I can see straight into the attic because the felt has torn where the tiles were.

There's about a dozen houses like mine in the estate.

Crap. Sorry to hear.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

leahyl wrote: »
    Traffic very quiet on the way home, it's actually a lovely evening now, blustery and cold but sunny

Traffic around mallow chaotic. Tailbacks 10km each way due to trees down..limerick and cork side.

MT believes the worst of this will probably stay to our south unless it tracks further north.have the updated models brought it closer to
    us?

Not that I could testify to, Im only going by Met Eireann references today

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭microsim

You need to zoom out a bit more.. They've just put one big Philip's head screw over Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭jds0ur

FR537 is from east midlands, delayed till 2030

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Faustino

Seems to have calmed down a lot for Dublin.. so was that it or more to come?

• Advertisement

Advertisement