Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Great Storm of Wednesday 12/02/2014

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Tv3 have a special on tonight, called Ireland storms live from 8 to 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Traffic around mallow chaotic. Tailbacks 10km each way due to trees down..limerick and cork side.
    Jaysus Mallow on a normal day is nearly that bad :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

ESB powercheck now working? Map has no faults showing for me which seems a bit wrong....

It has been like that most of the day, keep refreshing the page and give it a minute and they should appear.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭hinault

Durrow : winds have subsided again by about 20% from their strongest levels.
    The lull between gusts appear to be longer too at the moment.

These is the second time this has happened since 13.00hrs today.

I wonder will we see winds re-increase again for a third time here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

Is this the eye of the storm or is that it.
    It's at normal blustery day conditions in Cork City now. More like a typical heavily windy day than anything crazy. Still not calm though.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,907 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

wind dying down here alot now, I dont think today's wind was as bad as the wind we had around Christmas, and lasted only an hour or so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Eight Ball

Was just in Marley Park, South Dublin. Both I and the dog are safe. :)

The wind is bad, not that bad yet. The water table in the park is very high, some areas are just ponds now. RTE should have a live blog with updates.

Pretty stupid to go walking under trees in those conditions. Even a small branch could kill if falling from a height

• Registered Users Posts: 28 xfireblade

We lost a few slates, one of them flew across the road and broke a neighbours top window!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Zoney

Was like the day after tomorrow walking home from work in Limerick. Debris everywhere, bits of trees. Traffic backed up due to blockages. Slates and roof peaks gone. Gusting strongly a bit more now actually. Fortunately no damage for now to our house, others in the estate not so lucky.

edit, also a bit of light sleet now to top things off. Ground is so sodden already.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

I wonder did Dublin get away with it? Wind has dropped markedly at Dublin Airport down to gusts to 46 knots and similar lull here too after the earlier recorded gusts to 66 knots.

Seems like things are not too bad, unless there are differing reports further south?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Dacelonid

What's the prognosis for the Westmeath. Am in Athlone, wind is really picking up and have a satellite dish hanging by a thread and no way of rescuing it myself before it does any damage, so really hoping the wind dies down enough that it doesn't go anywhere before I can get someone to take it down

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

xfireblade wrote: »
    We lost a few slates, one of them flew across the road and broke a neighbours top window!

A likely excuse:p

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Chicken1

Belfast Airport say they have no more room for diverted aircraft from Dublin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Weathering

Exceptional conditions in Aberdaron Wales

Local Time

mph Bft Gust
    17:00 75 12 104
    16:00 73 11 108
    15:00 81 12 106
    14:00 61 10 81

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 194 ✭✭D.Campbell

TV 3 had a very extensive report on the 5.30 news and they are having an extended special program 'Irish storms live 'at 8pm to 10pm

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭rickdangerouss

Eight Ball wrote: »
    Pretty stupid to go walking under trees in those conditions. Even a small branch could kill if falling from a height

I agree with what you typed up, If the wind was strong enough to cause a branch to break. At that time, it was about 11 meters per second.

The dublin hills have stopped or slowed most of the wind so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

I wonder did Dublin get away with it? Wind has dropped markedly at Dublin Airport down to gusts to 46 knots and similar lull here too after the earlier recorded gusts to 66 knots.

Seems like things are not too bad, unless there are differing reports further south?

It did look like being a bit less severe on the EURO4 by the time the winds got that far north.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,417 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Chicken1 wrote: »
    Belfast Airport say they have no more room for diverted aircraft from Dublin

How neighbourly of them...but I guess Dublin is infinitely busier so doubt they could cope with those volumes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

It looks like the little feller moved swiftly away from Dublin into the Irish sea. That was interesting, for an hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,549 ✭✭✭Duff

I'm supposed to be flying to Paris at 10 in the morning, Hopefully it calms down beforehand! :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

hinault wrote: »
    Durrow : winds have subsided again by about 20% from their strongest levels.
    The lull between gusts appear to be longer too at the moment.

These is the second time this has happened since 13.00hrs today.

I wonder will we see winds re-increase again for a third time here?

wind.png

Above image from Durrow.

Top gust 76mph (Hurricane Force 12) is a new station record beating the old 65mph record set in January 2013.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Frigga_92

A lot of trees down in Mooncoin but none of them are out on the main road thankfully. There's a few trees along the N24 that look like they're hanging on by a thread so if there's anymore strong winds tonight I'd say there will be more trees down.

I came home to this at the back of our house. Our house is completely surrounded by evergreen trees which are at least 30 years old, if not older, and the damn storm uprooted a few. Thankfully they're not near the house and just landed on some other trees but our oil tank is under there somewhere so we're going to have to sort that out soon.

2014-02-12173109_zps286dbd70.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Weathering

www.youtube.com/watch?v=RB1EG_BH6Fg

Storm in Limerick, Ireland Blows Roof Of Boat Storage Facility.

Someone with a youtube account tell wetteronline that Limerick isn't part of the UK (he already corrected himself) ha

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

I thought that it was dying down myself but was thinking it was because im a bit sheltered from westerly winds with the buildings around me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Frigga_92

And just a close-up of the roots.

2014-02-12173135_zpsf5a94eef.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭dacogawa

Weathering wrote: »

Was just about to put that up, that's some strong gusting!

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Wine Goddess

zenno wrote: »
    It looks like the little feller moved swiftly away from Dublin into the Irish sea. That was interesting, for an hour.

Can anyone tell me if this is finished for Dublin?
    Loked on the satellite and winds still looked strong!
    Supposed to bring the boys out to GAA training at 7pm and don't wanna go if this will still be active!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 438 ✭✭xXxkorixXx

power just back in Arklow. The wind is dying down a bit but it was actually scary at times earlier

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Top story on the news, makes a change from lunchtime.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭blackbird99

just in from clearing fallen trees front blocked roads,
    savage amount of trees down and damage to property here in the glen of aherlow,
    never experience anything like it, worst was from 12 to 1:30.

Advertisement