Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Great Storm of Wednesday 12/02/2014

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

Xenji wrote: »
    Love how they say winds could get to 170 km/h and then not tell people where they are gonna hit....

I suppose they expect folk to watch the radar all day :(

Well as far as I can see, this storm is weakening, as it should when travelled over land. But gusts in swords 1 mile from dublin airport it's a gale, nothing more and seems to be decreasing every 25 minutes bit by bit.

Might get the odd freak gust for a few seconds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

How do they measure waves like that?

Guy out in a boat with a measuring tape.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

The mentioned it on the news as a throwaway comment and and made no mention of the areas most at risk, the red alert covers a pretty big area :rolleyes:

we are a small country so saying south west is very accurate. Do you expect ordnance coordinates?

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Strangegravy

How are your table and chairs still there? :eek:

That's what I was thinking, but they didn't last long... our garden wasn't the only one to take a hit, see below...

But the saddest thing was, my poor weather station... it's still reading though, it's just a bit more, am.... mobile. :(

12483527635_0042e9b2a3.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

leahyl wrote: »
    There was absolutely no mention of cork except for Plastic sheeting sitting on his arse in the cork studio grrrr

lol :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,287 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

lol :D

I'm afraid I can't take credit for that - thank you Oliver Callan :-D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭mucksavage1985

was in portarlington today working and at 3.15 the wind started to howl and it was unbelievable. I have never experienced anything like it. I drove around outside the town and there was five trees down and two trampolines on top of ditches. If the storm comes as bad on friday there will be millions worth of damage done.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

"Mini tornado" Arghhhhh...there is no such thing. Why do the media keep using this term?
    I know Maq,very annoying,they even said it on the weather forecast at lunch time

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

we are a small country so saying south west is very accurate. Do you expect ordnance coordinates?

This is the thing, they just said we could still get winds of up to 170 km/h tonight and then nothing after, no mention of the south west or any other part of the country after they said it, plus it is not just the south west that has a red alert issued, they did not even have anyone from Met Eireann on.
    Wind Warning for Munster, Connacht and Leinster

Very stormy with violent winds for a time this evening. Westerly winds of mean speeds of 80 to 100km/h with very severe squalls of 130 to 170km/h.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭mumo3

Lights starting to flash here in the house I'm based in Dublin west has this storm passed yet or are we still in for more?? Just put the dinner on in the electric oven I'm the worst ever :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Mr Cumulonimbus

Going by the 12Z Euro4 the worst winds should be pushing into the north Irish Sea by now and heading for the NW English coast.

14021218_2_1212.gif

14021221_2_1212.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

This is the thing, they just said we could still get winds of up to 170 km/h tonight and then nothing after, no mention of the south west or any other part of the country, plus it is not just the south west that has a red alert issued.

just covering themselves. 😊

I haven't seen hurricane Charley in quite a while. Now he would put hairs on your chest.

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭Daz_

Zoney wrote: »
    Third city in the country and they can't be bothered. It was absolutely incredible wind here across a big urban and economically important area, not to mention Shannon airport.

Limerick has constantly been on the news with the storm damage and floods. What else do you want ?would you feel better if they they said it was really windy in limerick on the 9 o'clock news?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Weathering

Finner gusting 68knots highest gust for 18.00

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,713 ✭✭✭eireannBEAR

So iv lost my back fence(neighbor will have to halves on repair)

Front and back gutters.

Porch light cover.

And gas meter door.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

If it don't happen in Dublin RTE don't care, TV3 covers the south.

If there was a cm of snow in Dublin and a hurricane in Cork the snow would get coverage.

Don't matter to me anyway my SKY's gone :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Relative calm here and time to catch our breath after 12 hours of extreme weather. For the record Max gust was 104km/h also 100km/h was recorded 10 mins later.

www.waterfordcityweather.com

• Registered Users Posts: 19,749 ✭✭✭✭grey_so_what

zenno wrote: »
    I haven't seen hurricane Charley in quite a while. Now he would put hairs on your chest.

I was on a Ship in the Irish Sea going up and down the Leinster coast for a couple of days with Good Time Charlie....

I remember the Captain being quoted at the time as saying "we thought it'd be bad but we didn't think it would be that bad"!

The car deck was thrashed....but, thankfully, no injuries...plenty of seasick people though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

zenno wrote: »

That was something, wasn't it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭bockeys jollocks

But the saddest thing was, my poor weather station... it's still reading though, it's just a bit more, am.... mobile. :(

12483527635_0042e9b2a3.jpg

Loving the CD caught in the fence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

Max gusts 52 knots - 59.8 mph, definitely losing strength.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Limerick studio report now, some useful information in it, and to the bogs!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Power back here in Enniscorthy at 6pm,off for 4 hours.Trees down on virtually every road.Roof gone from New Ross Swimming pool.
    Drove to work along a road under some seriously dodgy looking trees and had to turn around as we had no power,passed some eejit out walking a dog on the same road as bits of branches were flying everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,417 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Ciaran Mulloly again now....ffs the Midlands hasn't been the worst affected at all. South east ignored as per usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Shane O' Malley

Bit disappointed to see ME posting huge wind figures now when it is mostly gone by. And don't they usually show the sustained winds rather than max gusts?

150kph for kerry? Now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

road_high wrote: »
    Ciaran Mulloly again now....ffs the Midlands hasn't been the worst affected at all. South east ignored as per usual.

You missed Damien looking at some waves with a couple of locals who thought it great crack

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

No buses in and out of Limerick, i know a lot of people who work and study in limerick and travel to outlining towns by bus, how the hell are they going to get home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭dacogawa

Lets see what Gerry Murphy has to say, about to go on RTE...

Advertisement