Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Great Storm of Wednesday 12/02/2014

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,417 ✭✭✭✭road_high

mike65 wrote: »
    You missed Damien looking at some waves with a couple of locals who thought it great crack

Oh i saw that cringe clip. A picture of a few waves and Hook lighthouse. He clearly wasn't bothering his arse heading further inland.
    Kilkenny had a major emergency plan and power gone to St. Lukes Hospital. If Mulloly covered this area he'd be all over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

dacogawa wrote: »
    Lets see what Gerry Murphy has to say, about to go on RTE...

Well the storms were Voylent. He said.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭dacogawa

Well the storms were Voylent. He said.

What I want to know was why wasn't he asked about last nights forecast ? I know it's hindsight & all but questions do have to be asked...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

So, has the worst passed for Kilkenny?

Was planning to go to a friend's house, but if it's likely to pick up again before 10pm I won't bother

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

small bit of sleet now here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

SNOW!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

Daemos wrote: »
    So, has the worst passed for Kilkenny?

Was planning to go to a friend's house, but if it's likely to pick up again before 10pm I won't bother
    It's a bit blusterly at the moment but check kilkenny coco website for affected routes.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭colmufc

dave1982 wrote: »
    SNOW!!!!!

Where?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

dacogawa wrote: »
    What I want to know was why wasn't he asked about last nights forecast ? I know it's hindsight & all but questions do have to be asked...

In fairness last nights forecast was for violent storm force winds over the southwest leading up to storm force winds over the east, and thats exactly what happened. The problem is that most people seem to forget about the actual forecast and just focus on what colour their county is at a particular time. A few years ago there wasn't any oranage or red, maybe we need to go back to those times? The weather is a lot more complex than just a colour or a maximum numerical value...

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭KingdomRushed

Bit disappointed to see ME posting huge wind figures now when it is mostly gone by. And don't they usually show the sustained winds rather than max gusts?

150kph for kerry? Now?

They are covering their asses. That's enough to make me cringe. Shoddy. Not fooling me anyway. Never have they posted max gusts on a chart like that and to do it hours after the horse has bolted along with the spurious '170kmhr' red warning including dublin kinda stinks. Yeah right lads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 dubs4life12

put a pic up please and where is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭carleigh

Power just back in West Clare. Still fierce windy out. We have broken trees, fence, missing guttering from the house and a new windscreen for my car! Everyone safe TG.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

In fairness last nights forecast was for violent storm force winds over the southwest leading up to storm force winds over the east, and thats exactly what happened. The problem is that most people seem to forget about the actual forecast and just focus on what colour their county is at a particular time. A few years ago there wasn't any oranage or red, maybe we need to go back to those times? The weather is a lot more complex than just a colour or a maximum numerical value...

Maq I agree with what your saying. However I don't think yesterday's forecast advised of the possible serious disruption. Only for being in here I wouldn't have known of anything about how serious this could be. Luckily no reports of any fatalities with all the trees down in busy roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭acassells80

Quite calm in Dublin think we escaped

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭shmaupel

I was just thinking the same thing. I don't think the colour coded system works. It's trying to apply something relatively rigid to something very fluid.

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭tiegan

Maq I agree with what your saying. However I don't think yesterday's forecast advised of the possible serious disruption. Only for being in here I wouldn't have known of anything about how serious this could be. Luckily no reports of any fatalities with all the trees down in busy roads.

I agree, only for those knowledgeable posters giving us such vital information, things in my place could have been a lot worse. At least livestock were kept safe. Really appreciate you all, you know who you are!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭shroom007

Quite calm in Dublin think we escaped

Still some strong gusts in city centre,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

Bit disappointed to see ME posting huge wind figures now when it is mostly gone by. And don't they usually show the sustained winds rather than max gusts?

150kph for kerry? Now?

FYI that was there at lunchtime today (late but not as late as you might be thinking).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Hooter23

Why does that weather forecaster gerry murphy keep callin it a violet storm...Anyway theres a programme on sky news tormorrow at 7 (i think) called storm nation

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Brendan Filone

I'm not saying it's windy, but Helen Hunt and Bill Paxton just turned up at my door asking for directions.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,847 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Died down a bit here in south Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,749 ✭✭✭✭grey_so_what

I'm not saying it's windy, but Helen Hunt and Bill Paxton just turned up at my door asking for directions.

I hope they didn't bring the flying cows! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

CORK: Fallen trees have been removed on the N20 Cork/ Mallow Rd on the other side between Rathduff and Mallow but long delays remain.

CORK: A jack-knifed truck has been removed on N20 Cork/ Limerick Rd into Mallow on the Buttevant side and delays are beginning to improve.

CORK/TIPPERARY: The M8 Cork/ Dublin Rd has reopened southbound but remains closed northbound at J15 Fermoy South due to an overturned truck.

CORK/TIPP: M8 reopened both ways at J15 Fermoy South. Still closed northbound between J10 Cahir North & J9 Cashel South due to incident.

AA Roadwatch.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Hooter23 wrote: »
    Why does that weather forecaster gerry murphy keep callin it a violet storm...:pac:

A bit silly of him to come out with that really, considering that it was actually an orange storm.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Shane O' Malley

B0jangles wrote: »
    FYI that was there at lunchtime today (late but not as late as you might be thinking).

But listing max gusts? Dont remember that. Especially since they are only quoting 60 kph for dublin now.

because it is!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Damien Tiernans report on the news has to be the most stupid thing I ever saw, on top of a cliff with waves coming over talking to idiots doing the one thing we were warned not to do stay off Coasts, great crack said one guy, they should not have covered that given that two guys lost their lives in Cork doing the same thing, I would say the Coastguard are not happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

Hooter23 wrote: »
    Why does that weather forecaster gerry murphy keep callin it a violet storm...
    Glasnevin have all sorts of colours going on ;)

because it is!
    hooter23 :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

There was a bit of a gale, but when I hear the birds tweet gently, I am not worried. When I hear them tweeting loudly I evacuate. Great little weather alarms they are. They are in the big bush on the left. :D

Advertisement