Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Great Storm of Wednesday 12/02/2014

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Storm 10 wrote: »
    great crack said one guy, .

It was though. :cool: More storms please.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 19,417 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Damien Tiernans report on the news has to be the most stupid thing I ever saw, on top of a cliff with waves coming over talking to idiots doing the one thing we were warned not to do stay off Coasts, great crack said one guy, they should not have covered that given that two guys lost their lives in Cork doing the same thing, I would say the Coastguard are not happy.

Was cringe-worthy that. So much of the south and south east hammered today and this was Damien's pitiful contribution. I assume he even lives near here, it seemed like he was having a little walk outside in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 dubs4life12

zenno wrote: »
    There was a bit of a gale, but when I hear the birds tweet gently, I am not worried. When I hear them tweeting loudly I evacuate. Great little weather alarms they are. They are in the big bush on the left. :D

were are you?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

At least the Stong Gales are gone now

1898203_10202050389074985_1948906869_n.jpg

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Seems quite calm in Swords at the moment

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 dubs4life12

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    A bit silly of him to come out with that really, considering that it was actually an orange storm.
    it is a dangerous storm tho!!!:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

Still quite gusty im Dublin 4. Didn't see too much damage on the home. Trees have little or no foliage, so they should be ok for the most part.

Hope all are doing well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

At least the Stong Gales are gone now

1898203_10202050389074985_1948906869_n.jpg

There goes my omelette.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭oak5548

Is this storm supposed to continue until the weekend does anybody know?

it is a dangerous storm tho!!!:mad:

Yep, more of a red storm in the south & SW.

New Moon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭dacogawa

In fairness last nights forecast was for violent storm force winds over the southwest leading up to storm force winds over the east, and thats exactly what happened. The problem is that most people seem to forget about the actual forecast and just focus on what colour their county is at a particular time. A few years ago there wasn't any oranage or red, maybe we need to go back to those times? The weather is a lot more complex than just a colour or a maximum numerical value...

I know what you're saying Maq but their alerts were very, very late in the day. You, M.T. etc have been taking about this for a few days now. The colour thing is no use to the public if they are only changing it after people are leaving for work or an hour before it hits, there should be a "chance" warning for extreme situations but I think our main Irish weather people don't want to call something until it's on the doorstep. A better idea IMO would be to have a warning/chance forecast when there is big situations, if Evelyn had of said last night "storm force winds for certain with a small chance of gusts up to 170km" I think that would help the public a lot. Just my 2 cent anyway

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

road_high wrote: »
    Was cringe-worthy that. So much of the south and south east hammered today and this was Damien's pitiful contribution. I assume he even lives near here, it seemed like he was having a little walk outside in it.

Pascals was worse, inside a fish factory with no people and no lights, the director of news on RTE news should be sacked because they really are taking the piss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭Says I To Bridey

That was dreadful coverage from RTE. Starting off in some fish factory that's been closed for a month and informing us with horror that now the electricity is gone. I mean so what, its not as if they were doing anything anyway, would have been alright if it was one of those mid-program segments, but not the first news headline of the main evening news. Then they cut to some locals on the side of a cliff for no apparent reason

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Still quite gusty here up in the wicklow mountains - as strong as my station had recorded in any of the other storms this year anyway.

Btw Max gust was 92.9km/h - that's at about 2m, and in a not ideal (a bit more sheltered than I'd like) position.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,339 ✭✭✭Artful_Badger

oak5548 wrote: »
    Is this storm supposed to continue until the weekend does anybody know?

Gonna quieten down now until Friday evening by all accounts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭Vain

Was working on the ESB power lines in Clare today. Was grand till about half 12 when I came off the pole for lunch and it hit. Was crazy, no hope in hell of climbing poles again.

Picture of a line down still live setting the pole on fire!

1660914_10153795762720203_158168691_n.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Mr Cumulonimbus

Nothing exceptional to report here from Dundalk. Wind picked up somewhat round 5pm, seems to be dropping again now.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭Macy0161

In fairness last nights forecast was for violent storm force winds over the southwest leading up to storm force winds over the east, and thats exactly what happened. The problem is that most people seem to forget about the actual forecast and just focus on what colour their county is at a particular time. A few years ago there wasn't any oranage or red, maybe we need to go back to those times? The weather is a lot more complex than just a colour or a maximum numerical value...
    Maybe you're right and they shouldn't give colour coding. There certainly isn't much point, in my opinion, if they're going to upgrade the colours during the day. People In work on the east coast conceivably wouldn't have heard any update until they got in their car at 5pm, by which time there wasn't a whole lot of point.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Anyone spot that ME did not give any forecast for Friday on the 6 News tonight, only gave tomorrows must be afraid to say what will happen in case they are wrong :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

Pascals was worse, inside a fish factory with no people and no lights, the director of news on RTE news should be sacked because they really are taking the piss.

His real name is Hectare Pascel's mind you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭hinault

Channel 4 News reporting severe storm throughout Wales, Southern England.
    The flooding along the Thames Valley appears to be getting worse.

BBC1 The One Show has a Weather Special on at the moment.

I thought they gave it ample enough coverage? Considering that the worst of the storm happened in the mid-afternoon they probably had to go on the little reports and footage that was accessible to them at such a short range.

Pascal Sheehy's hand gestures are funny though, not sure what that 'steeple' he does with them when he is talking is all about.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

The extreme core of winds must of just slipped east as it hit here.

Just some 40-45 knot gusts at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Anyone know what the top sustained winds and gust were today? I'm sure it's been mentioned already but there's over 90 new pages since I was last online!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭hinault

Durrow : winds have definitely subsided to perhaps 50% of what they were at their strongest. Still very windy.

It's pour raining now.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Harps wrote: »
    Anyone know what the top sustained winds and gust were today? I'm sure it's been mentioned already but there's over 90 new pages since I was last online!

86 knots at Shannon Airport

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭diceyd

dont suppose anyone found the roof of a shed?:mad:

Harps wrote: »

I think 56 kt at Valentia but not totally sure on that.

Edit: 52 kt sustained windspeed tops at Valentia. Shannon possibly higher?

New Moon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭kingshankly

North East here getting off lightly by the sounds of things

Advertisement