Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Great Storm of Wednesday 12/02/2014

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

patneve2 wrote: »
    Was expecting it to be slightly more severe in Dublin, however you could tell it wasn't your typical Atlantic cyclone, very odd howling wind.

At the O2 at about 4:15 it was crazy, branches were literally shredded off a tree as I was sitting on the Luas

Kinda glad we didn't feel the full force !

• Registered Users Posts: 14,287 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Can any of the regulars on here comment on the current models for Friday - I know it's not looking nearly as bad as today but it could still pack a punch I'd say?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Hooter23

Irelands Storms live is just after starting now on tv3 its on for a very long 2 hours......Looks like a very seroius programme its like watching the news basically....

Hooter23 wrote: »
    Irelands Storms live is just after starting now on tv3 its on for a very long 2 hours......

This suggests a lot of archive footage.....

TV3 has form for this !

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Harps wrote: »
    Surprisingly low if that's the highest considering most models were showing hurricane force. Looking at ogimet the gusts around the country were very severe, 9 stations above 120kph which is very impressive considering in 90% of our storms only Malin, Belmullet, Mace Head and Finner come close to that.

Jealous to have missed it though it was rough enough here as the front passed through, nice and refreshing to be working outdoors in the driving rain!

Just checked there on the IWN database, 56 & 57 kt sustained speeds at Shannon and Sherkin Island respectively. Certainly impressive for the location. Here in the W & NW, notably very gusty and wild for a time but you did not miss anything exceptional. What was impressive though is how quickly it sprung up. Started really suddenly.

New Moon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

patneve2 wrote: »
    Was expecting it to be slightly more severe in Dublin, however you could tell it wasn't your typical Atlantic cyclone, very odd howling wind.

Yea it seems the swathe of severe winds shrunk and slipped into Irish sea as the tightest gradient moved over Dublin. Giving just a brief period of Severe Gales.

Surprising considering more inland locations like Laois & Carlow got a much longer and bigger wind.

Still 66 knot @ Dub Air is highest of the winter but certainly not at 1997 storm levels.

This storm obviously stopped its rapid deepening over the southwest and had just fully matured as it moved northeast.

- The 86 knot gust @ Shannon Airport though was exceptional and was the highest wind gust at Shannon Airport since Hurricane Debbie in 1961

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭diceyd

Well done to maq for all his info again,your a legend.

diceyd wrote: »
    Well done to maq for all his info again,your a legend.

And WC, don't forget poor WC !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

joes girls wrote: »
    Just off the phone with the O/H and he said it is snowing very heavy in Cobh. He should be coming home to me tonight but not driving from Cork to Wexford.

Yeah its on and off very heavy when it do snow but not sticking

• Registered Users Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭thomil

Just watching that special programme on TV3, it doesn't seem too bad so far, except for the crappy cameras that they seem to be using.

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭whitebriar

Definitely the worst storm I've experienced,here outside Arklow I'll try post pics shortly.
    Several trees down.
    Between 2 and about 4pm,it was incredible.
    Full mature large trees fully bent down.
    You could hardly stand up in it at stages.
    An Esb power line is down in my yard ..Oh and the hayshed is gone.
    Gone too is a 50ft tree at the back of the house, I'm not sure where that went,Aberystwyth somewhere I imagine lol as there's no sign of it!

No electricity here but luckily we have a generator.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭lolie

Anyone know where was the picture taken that was posted here last week of about 3ft of flood water outside a patio door taken from the inside with the water pissin through the keyhole?

It was shown on The One Show flood special on bbc before with the presenters in awe of it assuming it was took in England this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭kittyn

lolie wrote: »
    Anyone know where was the picture taken that was posted here last week of about 3ft of flood water outside a patio door taken from the inside with the water pissin through the keyhole?

It was shown on The One Show flood special on bbc before with the presenters in awe of it assuming it was took in England this week.

If memory serves correct it happened in Limerick :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Still respectively strong winds @ Dublin Airport at 8pm

34 Gust 55 knots

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

leahyl wrote: »
    Can any of the regulars on here comment on the current models for Friday - I know it's not looking nearly as bad as today but it could still pack a punch I'd say?

Atm it doesnt look bad as the broad low centre looks to be over us so wind more off the south coast and not as severe . Just more rain really the issue.

Lets see what the 18z pops out..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

leahyl wrote: »
    Snowing heavy in Cork City!! This is the best day EVER :pac:

just need thunder snow

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Steopo

TV3 it's all live so far and dealing with today's storm, not sure how they're going to keep it going for 2 hours. The problem with all the warnings about staying off the roads, flying debris etc.. is way too late, they're making it sound like we're still in the major windstorm which we're not as the storm is out in the Irish Sea now so winds nowhere near as severe. This should have been on in the am hours.

Does seem that Dublin escaped the worst as the severe winds headed into the Irish Sea but that was very much the forecasted track as Dublin was always on the marginal edges of the severest winds

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Just checked there on the IWN database, 56 & 57 kt sustained speeds at Shannon and Sherkin Island respectively. Certainly impressive for the location. Here in the W & NW, notably very gusty and wild for a time but you did not miss anything exceptional. What was impressive though is how quickly it sprung up. Started really suddenly.

That sounds a bit more like it, a shame there's no coastal headland station in Kerry as looking at this mornings models there was a chance of 65kt+

Certainly a noteworthy storm, the Jan 12 storm recorded stronger winds but the most severe nationwide since 98 I'd think? Even making the news over here which I haven't seen before

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭xgwishyx

Steopo wrote: »
    Does seem that Dublin escaped the worst as the severe winds headed into the Irish Sea but that was very much the forecasted track as Dublin was always on the marginal edges of the severest winds

Tell that to the folks who have been evacuated from their homes in Dublin in the last hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

Smidge wrote: »
    The storm must have blown away your snow shield :D

:cool::P i know, it's great.

so glad there were no injuries today.

also, thank you to M.T for his brilliant work that he did in the last 24 hours keeping us up to date.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭diceyd

And WC, don't forget poor WC !

sorry,a massive thanks to WC,well done,was able to tell the wife exactly what time to leave work and head for home,thanks a million guys,cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

Unprecedented damage in Limerick city and county. I don't think it would be an exaggeration to say I've seen at least 100 knocked trees today.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Iamkipper

I remember a few years ago when England was having alot of bad weather and floods the BBC and Sky were talking alot about the Jet Stream and putting it in their reports, maps, animations etc. I have heard several times that the Jet Stream is lower than it should be and doesnt seem to be moving back northwards but I have yet to see maps etc showing people exactly whats happening.

Just a side note, Hope everyone is safe out there.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,987 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Iamkipper wrote: »
    I remember a few years ago when England was having alot of bad weather and floods the BBC and Sky were talking alot about the Jet Stream and putting it in their reports, maps, animations etc. I have heard several times that the Jet Stream is lower than it should be and doesnt seem to be moving back northwards but I have yet to see maps etc showing people exactly whats happening.

If you watch out for when Evelyn is doing the TV forecasts after the 6pm or 9pm news on RTE she very often shows what the jet stream is doing and is very good at explaining, in laymans terms, the weather patterns.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

Wow, 260,000 customers without power.

The ESB Networks Fault board looks more like a heavily decorated Christmas tree.

I concur with an earlier nomination to award the Michel Fish awards for 2014 to Met Eireann.

Normally we can track a storm by the faults reported on the ESB Network's site, almost every town and village in Ireland has a fault.

Almost every road and some motorways disrupted by blown over trucks or trees down. 999 services overwhelmed and radio contact suspended.

Many buildings damaged, windows blown out, facias blown down, roofs blown off. Trees falling on houses and cars all over the state. Not just in any one locality.

Big round of applause to Met Eireann, I hope you get the nomination and awards you richly deserve.

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭Jimjay

[QUOTE=Weatheti
    34 Gust 55 knots[/QUOTE]

Whats the story at the airport, there doesn't appear to have been a plane land there for quiet a while and i am waiting to drive up there to pick up from a London flight which keeps getting delayed. Was meant to land at 9:10 but so far has been re-scheduled three times and now says 2335.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

xgwishyx wrote: »
    Tell that to the folks who have been evacuated from their homes in Dublin in the last hour.

where was this?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

• Closed Accounts Posts: 914 ✭✭✭tommyboy2222

Ashtown I think due to structural damage.

(replying to Stheno)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

TV3 has a report from 8-10 tonight on the storm

Advertisement