Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Great Storm of Wednesday 12/02/2014

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,986 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Red Nissan wrote: »
    Many buildings damaged, windows blown out, facias blown down, roofs blown off. Trees falling on houses and cars all over the state. Not just in any one locality.

Big round of applause to Met Eireann, I hope you get the nomination and awards you richly deserve.

I think that is very unfair. All the warnings in the world would not have prevented the consequential damage and there is not a huge amount you can do in advance to prevent the likes of a roof blowing off!

No one was killed (AFAIK) - that should be considered a result?

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭xgwishyx

Stheno wrote: »
    where was this?

Waterway Apartments in Ashtown - http://www.thejournal.ie/waterway-apartments-evacuated-1313137-Feb2014/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Extraordinary day. Didnt have much time for posting due to work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

There is no doubt about it. Boards.ie weather forum is essential, as it keeps folk up to date, live, as to the conditions of the county areas. Most definitely a great forum to have while out and about, regarding fallen trees and power-lines updated by live weather boardsies to the situation.

Excellently informative.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭aisling86

So according to Denis Cambridge of ESB on tv3 news there on alert by met eireann for another RED alert Friday??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭microsim

Many Septic Tiger era apartments and buildings not holding up to the winds today

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭cyclops999

Trojan work from MT, Maq, WC and others total respect well done. Now for Valentines day storm how bad will it be ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭SeaBreezes

sunbabe08 wrote: »
    just need thunder snow

Not sticking tho :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Friday to me looks like a rain-maker with perhaps a renewed risk of coastal flooding for south and southeast with easterly gales possible, a swell and tides higher than in recent days.

It certainly does not possess the power and energy of today's storm.

It is most likely to bring its high winds to southern England.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Claregirl

DOCARCH wrote: »
    I think that is very unfair. All the warnings in the world would not have prevented the consequential damage and there is not a huge amount you can do in advance to prevent the likes of a roof blowing off!

I have to say the last time I was as scared as I was today during a storm was when the 1990 hurricane hit the UK.

My kids go to school in St Flannans in Ennis where two enormous trees came down - Kids should not have been at school today it was not safe with the amount of roof tiles, trees and debris blowing about - If no-one was killed that falls into miracle territory in my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,726 ✭✭✭sudzs

aisling86 wrote: »
    So according to Denis Cambridge of ESB on tv3 news there on alert by met eireann for another RED alert Friday??

Is that the same Denis that was bouncing off someone's window earlier?!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Steopo

ESB rep on TV3 said met eireann has told them to be on standby for another red alert on Friday, I'd say he wasn't meant to say that. Models don't indicate that we'll be in the firing for the strongest winds for Fri/Sat storm & gradient not as strong as today's. Nevertheless it's a significant storm so one to watch closely (will cause more misery for UK)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

cyclops999 wrote: »
    Trojan work from MT, Maq, WC and others total respect well done. Now for Valentines day storm how bad will it be ?

I have a flight on Valentines day, will it be able to fly?

Check out this link I found.

http://earth.nullschool.net/#current/wind/surface/level/orthographic=-4.17,53.38,1024

What time will the storm be in Dublin?

I think orange is not right, but red is too much?

RTE / ME / The guards are a shower of idiots.

What colour is the wind?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭dinorebel

Reasonably heavy snow here in Letterkenny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

DOCARCH wrote: »

If the warnings had been timely many offices and schools wouldn't have opened today and people would have been safer at home rather than at risk trying to get to and from work and get the kids to and from school. Timely warnings allow for planning to cope with the conditions, rather than trying to deal with them on the fly.

When Met E went Level Awareness RED for Cork & Kerry it was approx. 00.40 far to late to inform people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,339 ✭✭✭Artful_Badger

Is Martin King a meteorologist or just a presenter ? He doesnt seem to have much detail in what he says.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Martin King Trying to explain a sting jet ... i guess hes doing ok lol

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Is Martin King a meteorologist or just a presenter ? He doesnt seem to have much detail in what he says.

Nope , none of tv3 staff are!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Red Pepper

The reports or stormy weather and damage are just mad because it didn't seem bad in Galway at all relatively speaking. It sounds scary down in Limerick,Cork and Kerry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,287 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

He's not a meteorologist as far as I know

• Registered Users Posts: 19,417 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Wonder was Damien Tiernan reading this thread. Improved Kilkenny and south east coverage there now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

leahyl wrote: »
    He's not a meteorologist as far as I know

:eek::( damn. :o

Martin what can we expect for the weekend, give me a minute Brian until I check Boards Weather :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,287 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Reporter on rte there said the wind lifted a truck "clean off the road" - clearly not since you can see the truck still on the road behind him, toppled over

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭snowbabe

Wind really picking up again on the east coast,noise roaring,are these just stray gusts?

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭microsim

Are you sh1tting me?! He has a Doctor of Science in Meteorology! (That's higher than a Ph.D btw!)

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Strong winds here and snow coming down too!

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Claregirl

Red Pepper wrote: »
    The reports or stormy weather and damage are just mad because it didn't seem bad in Galway at all relatively speaking. It sounds scary down in Limerick,Cork and Kerry.

Was pretty scary here in Clare too - lost a few roof tiles, power and mobile coverage so couldn't even find comfort here :(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Thought it had all died down but winds are picking up again here in Dublin 8 along with some rain this time.

Advertisement