Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Great Storm of Wednesday 12/02/2014

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭moxin

RTE says about Ashtown http://www.rte.ie/news/2014/0212/503773-weather/
    Residents of penthouse properties in a Dublin apartment complex have been evacuated from their homes following serious damage to the roof of the building.

Around a third of the roof at the Waterways apartments in Ashtown was blown off in the wind.

A handful of residents have left their apartments. Gardaí have advised remaining occupants to stay inside until the bad weather subsides.

The Ashtown road is closed and motorists should use the River Road

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭northgirl

18Z GFS shows a band of 85-90 km/h gusts possible across the country running from south to north on Friday. Not severe like today, but could be strong enough to bring down some weakened tree limbs etc. from todays storm.

The strongest winds look very likely to be headed for southern England this time.

Something to keep an eye on anyway.

42-289UK.GIF?12-18

Any idea what time this might hit on Friday? Sorry if I've missed this in the thread..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

northgirl wrote: »
    Any idea what time this might hit on Friday? Sorry if I've missed this in the thread..

Bit too early to know yet, looks like morning-afternoon at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭murdig

Not a flake of snow in Kerry! :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭northgirl

Bit too early to know yet, looks like morning-afternoon at the moment.

Thank you :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

As a friend of mine said:
    Well done to all at TV3. Your ability to chop your schedule to create an excellent coverage and information platform for the general public during our unprecedented weather difficulties is a credit to all involved. Well done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭whitebriar

whitebriar wrote: »
    Definitely the worst storm I've experienced,here outside Arklow I'll try post pics shortly.
    Several trees down.
    Between 2 and about 4pm,it was incredible.
    Full mature large trees fully bent down.
    You could hardly stand up in it at stages.
    An Esb power line is down in my yard ..Oh and the hayshed is gone.
    Gone too is a 50ft tree at the back of the house, I'm not sure where that went,Aberystwyth somewhere I imagine lol as there's no sign of it!

No electricity here but luckily we have a generator.
    Two pics,one of the aftermath at the back of my house,where three 50ft trees are no longer standing.
    The other is of the tree in my yard which brought down the power line which is still live and on the ground as I type.I have reported that,but gosh,at least it's where I know it is and away from the general public.I wouldn't expect the ESB to make it out to me tonight.

Edit iPad will only let me upload one pic to a post :(

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭...__...

A couple of decent gusts here on the farm in clondalkin.
    Was away over the day but dmage very light greenhouse took a bit from the exposed side (open fields).
    Some branches down and some light flooding (got hit with bad floods last week due to drains being blocked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭Stavros Murphy

leahyl wrote: »
    Tomorrow's going to be treacherous driving conditions

I have gritters out tonight - tomorrow morning is predicted to be very treacherous. Take care.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭Says I To Bridey

Has this been posted?
    Video from the RNLI bouncing over the waves to rescue people off the west coast earlier. Brave brave people!
    http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/wild-wednesday-latest-dramatic-footage-as-four-men-rescued-from-stormy-atlantic-seas-30000802.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭littlema

BBC just did a very good explanation of the jet stream and it's origins in Asia !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,467 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Given that no one was killed (thankfully), I cannot understand why TV 3 spent two hours on it this evening. They seem obsessed with murders and bad weather, rather than public service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭Says I To Bridey

Given that no one was killed (thankfully), I cannot understand why TV 3 spent two hours on it this evening. They seem obsessed with murders and bad weather, rather than public service.

They're not a public service broadcaster :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

I appreciate TV3 giving it coverage compared to RTE, a station funded by a state imposed broadcasting charge, who couldn't be bothered their arse giving even an attempt at half decent coverage because it wasn't happening in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

I don't think we should be deciding the number of hours dedicated to TV coverage of an event based on the number of people it killed.

TV3 picked up where RTÉ should have been streets ahead in terms of resource and ability. The public broadcaster keeps missing opportunities to provide decent coverage of events like this and it charges us €158 a year for its ineptitude.

TV3 don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Electricity still out here in N.Cork - snow covering the grass and cars ... will take a bit of time to get over this one as ourselves and uncles on both sides of us all have structural damage to the houses ... My father and his brothers were talking this evening and they were born and reared here for nearly 55 years and it is the worst storm they ever remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Everywhere white here from a heavy snow shower about 7 miles from Kilkenny city.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭murdig

Is it meant to snow in Kerry, cause theres not a flake so far!! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

It was the most interesting thing on the 57 bazillion Sky channels.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,813 ✭✭✭billie1b

DarkJager wrote: »
    I appreciate TV3 giving it coverage compared to RTE, a station funded by a state imposed broadcasting charge, who couldn't be bothered their arse giving even an attempt at half decent coverage because it wasn't happening in Dublin.

Sunshine we have just as many trees down and flooding in Dublin also, and people have been evacuated from their homes in Dublin due to structural damage. It happened everywhere, stop being so petty

• Advertisement

billie1b wrote: »
    Sunshine we have just as many trees down and flooding in Dublin also, and people have been evacuated from their homes in Dublin due to structural damage. It happened everywhere, stop being so petty

Dublin did not receive anywhere near the level of winds that the South West did.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

Apologies if this has already been posted, but..wow.

BgTMb3RIAAAvEFv.jpg:large

A bad weather event in any part of the country isn't a major news event. The last Dublin floods event in 2011 didn't get any additional programming from RTE or TV3.

No one died. This will be forgotten about very soon.

TV 3 cynically used this event to attract ratings. They spent two hours repeating the same thing and showing viewer photos. What good is that?

Dublin did not receive anywhere near the level of winds that the South West did.

Sustained at 50 and gusts of 67 is a good wind speed, I coudn't care if ye got 100 kt and Dublin only 50kt, the place is in bits with trees on main and secondary roads, houses damaged, apartments damaged and floods. Grow the fúck up!

sdeire wrote: »
    I don't think we should be deciding the number of hours dedicated to TV coverage of an event based on the number of people it killed.

TV3 picked up where RTÉ should have been streets ahead in terms of resource and ability. The public broadcaster keeps missing opportunities to provide decent coverage of events like this and it charges us €158 a year for its ineptitude.

TV3 don't.

I really don't understand what you expected RTE to do. They provided comprehensive coverage on the radio, internet and twitter and in their regular bulletins.

This wasn't a US style hurricane, it was a very windy day. The media have to be responsible in their reporting of weather events, as often the extent of the impact is exaggerated.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭lolie

leahyl wrote: »
    Reporter on rte there said the wind lifted a truck "clean off the road" - clearly not since you can see the truck still on the road behind him, toppled over

Maybe superman acting the pup again.
    All joking aside its a miracle no one was killed today with trees uprooted, roofs blown off, and lorry's overturned.
    The two local bedding factories each had a lorry overturned today, one in galway and one in cork.
    One driver lives just up the road from me, married with a young family.
    Thankfully both brought to hospital with only minor injuries.

billie1b wrote: »
    Sustained at 50 and gusts of 67 is a good wind speed, I coudn't care if ye got 100 kt and Dublin only 50kt, the place is in bits with trees on main and secondary roads, houses damaged, apartments damaged and floods. Grow the fúck up!

Nice to see a grown up response out of you :rolleyes: . I stand by my point - this was a unique weather event in Ireland which was worst in the South West and didn't even make the main headline on the news at 1. If it was Dublin hit first today, they would have used 75% of that bulletin talking about it.

Nice to see a grown up response out of you :rolleyes: . I stand by my point - this was a unique weather event in Ireland which was worst in the South West and didn't even make the main headline on the news at 1. If it was Dublin hit first today, they would have used 75% of that bulletin talking about it.

It wasn't unique. It was rare, but not unique.

It only seems grown up because your acting like a child, 'look mammy my storm is better than his!', everywhere got damaged, some places worse than others. Its not Dublins fault RTE is a load of crap or that Dublin is the capital, thats the way it is and you need to get the chip of your shoulder and relax. Be grateful it wasn't worse and you're still here to talk about it

You're getting way too personal here - Tone it down! Attack the post not the poster!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭caustic 1

Really? Time to go when the thread descends into our wind was bigger than yours.

Thanks for all updates during day.

Advertisement