Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Great Storm of Wednesday 12/02/2014

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,415 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

DarkJager wrote: »
    Nice to see a grown up response out of you :rolleyes: . I stand by my point - this was a unique weather event in Ireland which was worst in the South West and didn't even make the main headline on the news at 1. If it was Dublin hit first today, they would have used 75% of that bulletin talking about it.
    Am I missing something?
    http://www.rte.ie/news/player/one-news/
    It was the main headline on today's News at One.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭murdig

Whats the weather going to be like around Kerry tomorrow and Friday?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

un-f*cking-belivable :eek:

the amount of destruction in east-clare today it was like the apocalypse

from 2-3 today will live long in the memory, it was truly frightening

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

So when is the next almost inevitable at this stage storm meant to arrive?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

While the chances of Friday's winds being greater than today's are extremely slim

There are one or two options that go for a a windy enough event for parts.

-- This event is one to watch for Britain for sure.

gens-19-1-60.png?18

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

fryup wrote: »
    un-f*cking-belivable :eek:

the amount of destruction in east-clare today it was like the apocalypse

from 2-3 today will live long in the memory, it was truly frightening

Yes it was looking like the strongest storm of the season from seven days ago, too far to take seriously back then, but as the days progressed, so did this storm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Weathering

What do you make of Fridays snow potential Weathercheck? BBC fc significant snow for NI Friday
    No doubt details will chop and change
    '

• Registered Users Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

So in South West Kerry today - Power out, phone (landline) out, mobile phone service not reachable, internet out (no power & no phone) all radio stations (except for newstalk) out.
    I don't recall something like that happening before where a storm basically cuts you off. Certainly unique in my memory.
    Thankfully no structural damage - that happened already in the last red alert storm. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

one group of people happy with this weather are the tree surgeons, they must be making a mint with all the work

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭snowbabe

Weathercheck and maq and all the other great posters here must be exhausted by now but I pass my huge gratitude on to you all ,and I'm very happy we're all safe tonight :)It's been very exciting,frightening,funny,and educational here all day , huge thanks to everyone,even MT pulled an almost all nighter :)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 194 ✭✭D.Campbell

Is it possible that Friday's storm could hold off till late afternoon as I have a long distance to travel to West Cork ;)

sounds like a letter to God but no on a serious note I would love to know and plan thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

What's in store for the coming days?

The jetstream seems to be feeding yet more of these systems our way!

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Aimsir

Weathercheck and maq and all the other great posters here must be exhausted by now but I pass my huge gratitude on to you all ,and I'm very happy we're all safe tonight :)It's been very exciting,frightening,funny,and educational here all day , huge thanks to everyone,even MT pulled an almost all nighter :)[/QUOTE]

Totally agree

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭me89

Snowing here. Kilkenny city

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

storm knocked out electricity, mobile phones and internet since 11.30 today until just five minuets ago,
    it was the worst storm i have endured, part of my roof gone, but i am still standing, and delighted to have done so,

a big thank you to all who gave us warnings, i did what i could to save things, but i could do nothing about the roof, had to stand helplessly hoping it would not take too much,
    that gang on the e s b are brill, getting it back so soon, did not expect that, they are working in awful conditions.

i do hope this is it for this year as far as fierce storms go,
    felt more like hurricane

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭lolie

Weathering wrote: »
    What do you make of Fridays snow potential Weathercheck? BBC fc significant snow for NI Friday
    No doubt details will chop and change
    '
    Yesterday's forecast for today looked similar regards snow up north but didnt turn out to good.
    With fridays low taking a more easterly track maybe it might bring down colder air than today?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

The weeny waving about wind speeds or local coverage of the days events is pathetic.

Let's try and be serious for a few minutes, now that the dust is starting to settle again.

ME have some questions to answer, I sat and watched the farming forecast on Sunday, and we were all told there were no storms coming our way this week, yet here, (Thanks MT and others) the advance warnings were already being sounded.

Then, to compound the situation, the (official) red warning was not issued until way too late to be making sensible decisions about the validity or otherwise of closing schools. For sure, that qualifies for the Michael Fish award of 2014, given that it was only 3 days out, for ME to be so dismissive of the potential of today's event seems to have been a very bad decision from the professionals.

On a different subject, it would seem to me that an urgent inspection of all school portakabins is clearly needed, if a roof was torn off one today, that's one too many, and given that most of the wretched things are rented at significant cost, the owners need to be getting inspections made as a matter of extreme urgency, and providing certificates of safety or similar, and if they can't, or wont, then there have to be urgent changes, putting children into unsafe portakabins is unacceptable.

At Kilsallaghan, not far from Dublin Airport, it was well wild this afternoon, in the 7 or 8 years I've been going there, I've never known the portakabin move in the gusts, but it did today, and there were regular gusts that sounded just like an aircraft passing over, and I'm well used to that sound so close to the airport. There were no trees down locally, but there was significant "small" debris all over the place on the way home earlier.

My son has just arrived having travelled up from Clare, he's got a meeting in the Airport tomorrow morning, and with no power at home tonight, and none expected before 23:00 tomorrow evening, they decided he'd be better travelling this evening than first thing tomorrow, and given the weather he's had coming up, I think it was the right decision, there were plenty of snow showers on the way, some of them quite heavy.

So, that's today, now we wait to see how the rest of the week pans out, and what is coming across over the next few days.

From the sound of it, the Polar Vortex is still unstable over the US, so likely to throw more of the same mixture our way, and there's no way of telling exactly what's going to be the outcome, other than the general comment of "more of the same". How long it's going to go on for is another question, it does seem to have been the same for a long time now.

Clearly, we're going to be depending very much on the resident weather watchers here to keep up informed about what's coming our way, and their success levels do seem to have been very high this winter.

I'm not sure that the new colour coding is helping any in that respect, the classifications are too rigid, and too much attention is being focussed on if it should be orange or red, or if the change was made at the right time. I realise that a lot of people are not going to bother with reading the specifics, and in that respect, maybe that's the problem, if the colour coding wasn't there, they'd have to spend the time reading and understanding what was being said, it takes 2 seconds to look and see, is there a colour, if there is, what is it. That fits the modern attitude, too much of this sort of thing is now spoon fed at a very low level, and we're all the poorer for it.

To all the regular posters here, many thanks for all the time and effort that you put into making sure that the rest of us get the information we need to make sensible decisions about how to do things that could be weather affected.

Today makes me even more determined to try and sort out my own weather station again, I had one, but had to take it down for some repairs, and it's never gone back up, it would have been interesting to see what the winds were here, even though we are very much sheltered.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭lolie

snowbabe wrote: »
    Weathercheck and maq and all the other great posters here must be exhausted by now but I pass my huge gratitude on to you all ,and I'm very happy we're all safe tonight :)It's been very exciting,frightening,funny,and educational here all day , huge thanks to everyone,even MT pulled an almost all nighter :)

Agree with all that, only got time to pop in and out of this thread a few times during the day but reading the posts it seemed scary as hell at times.
    Bit late now but a pity the vids and pics aren't in a thread of their own in the weather picture forum, likewise with the other storms before this since Christmas.
    Would be nice to look back through.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭stooge

The weeny waving about wind speeds or local coverage of the days events is pathetic.

Let's try and be serious for a few minutes, now that the dust is starting to settle again.

ME have some questions to answer, I sat and watched the farming forecast on Sunday, and we were all told there were no storms coming our way this week, yet here, (Thanks MT and others) the advance warnings were already being sounded.

Then, to compound the situation, the (official) red warning was not issued until way too late to be making sensible decisions about the validity or otherwise of closing schools. For sure, that qualifies for the Michael Fish award of 2014, given that it was only 3 days out, for ME to be so dismissive of the potential of today's event seems to have been a very bad decision from the professionals.

On a different subject, it would seem to me that an urgent inspection of all school portakabins is clearly needed, if a roof was torn off one today, that's one too many, and given that most of the wretched things are rented at significant cost, the owners need to be getting inspections made as a matter of extreme urgency, and providing certificates of safety or similar, and if they can't, or wont, then there have to be urgent changes, putting children into unsafe portakabins is unacceptable.

At Kilsallaghan, not far from Dublin Airport, it was well wild this afternoon, in the 7 or 8 years I've been going there, I've never known the portakabin move in the gusts, but it did today, and there were regular gusts that sounded just like an aircraft passing over, and I'm well used to that sound so close to the airport. There were no trees down locally, but there was significant "small" debris all over the place on the way home earlier.

My son has just arrived having travelled up from Clare, he's got a meeting in the Airport tomorrow morning, and with no power at home tonight, and none expected before 23:00 tomorrow evening, they decided he'd be better travelling this evening than first thing tomorrow, and given the weather he's had coming up, I think it was the right decision, there were plenty of snow showers on the way, some of them quite heavy.

So, that's today, now we wait to see how the rest of the week pans out, and what is coming across over the next few days.

From the sound of it, the Polar Vortex is still unstable over the US, so likely to throw more of the same mixture our way, and there's no way of telling exactly what's going to be the outcome, other than the general comment of "more of the same". How long it's going to go on for is another question, it does seem to have been the same for a long time now.

Clearly, we're going to be depending very much on the resident weather watchers here to keep up informed about what's coming our way, and their success levels do seem to have been very high this winter.

I'm not sure that the new colour coding is helping any in that respect, the classifications are too rigid, and too much attention is being focussed on if it should be orange or red, or if the change was made at the right time. I realise that a lot of people are not going to bother with reading the specifics, and in that respect, maybe that's the problem, if the colour coding wasn't there, they'd have to spend the time reading and understanding what was being said, it takes 2 seconds to look and see, is there a colour, if there is, what is it. That fits the modern attitude, too much of this sort of thing is now spoon fed at a very low level, and we're all the poorer for it.

To all the regular posters here, many thanks for all the time and effort that you put into making sure that the rest of us get the information we need to make sensible decisions about how to do things that could be weather affected.

Today makes me even more determined to try and sort out my own weather station again, I had one, but had to take it down for some repairs, and it's never gone back up, it would have been interesting to see what the winds were here, even though we are very much sheltered.

Excellent post.

Would also like to thank MT and the other posters with the charts and sat images. Very informative.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,372 Mod ✭✭✭✭andrew

Met Eireann seem to have screwed themselves over slightly with the warning system. Before, people would hear "violent gusts" and interpret that as meaning "the weather will be very bad." Now, people hear "violent gusts" and don't interpret it was meaning that the weather will be very bad, unless there is also a red waning. Any descriptive guidance they give is now being completely ignored, and in people's heads it's the weather will be very bad if, and only if, there is a red warning.

• Advertisement

ME have some questions to answer, I sat and watched the farming forecast on Sunday, and we were all told there were no storms coming our way this week, yet here, (Thanks MT and others) the advance warnings were already being sounded..

Which is why some of us are nominating Met Eireann for the Michael Fish Award 2014.

I jumped out of me seat when I heard that and went to recheck my own interpretations, which at that time were showing a very severe potential and I could not comprehend how wrong I was.

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭maiden

Well lads ye called it right as usual! Fair play!

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭LaGlisse

There seems to be a tendency towards hysteria in these threads most of the time but well done ye got it right this time . Still think the M.E bashing is a bit over the top

• Registered Users Posts: 1,482 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

Just reporting from outside Limerick. Electricity gone since after 2pm when we got the worst of the winds. Just down my road I heard there is a lot of big trees down. Posting under candle light with my IPad tethered to my smartphone.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

zerks wrote: »
    Entire front has fallen off the wall of the GAA club in Gorey.

Here it is before the storm,all this is now in a pile on the ground.

0a2fa25f-007b-4fe1-93eb-5329ecee8d43.jpg

Found the after pic:

7qvq5.jpg

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

I will leave this thread open for people to log their experiences from Wednesdays storm

Continued discussion on upcoming events will take place at the thread below

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=88934916#post88934916

• Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭Sheldons Brain

andrew wrote: »
    Met Eireann seem to have screwed themselves over slightly with the warning system. Before, people would hear "violent gusts" and interpret that as meaning "the weather will be very bad." Now, people hear "violent gusts" and don't interpret it was meaning that the weather will be very bad, unless there is also a red waning. Any descriptive guidance they give is now being completely ignored, and in people's heads it's the weather will be very bad if, and only if, there is a red warning.

As a colleague noted today, they've replaced the Beaufort scale which has multiple divisions with a scale of 3, in effect. Not much point.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

I'm just glad no one is injured or killed.

I was trying to get some work done, get some silage into cows while it was still bright and I thought safe enough....:rolleyes: so opened the door to my shed, drove the tractor out, drove to where the silage was, saw a piece of my building flying through the air at what looked like 70mph plus. Got a shock as you would do, went to see what has blown away, and it was the door and what the door was attached to.
    It had blown across the public road into other property I own, quiet road but still freak things can happen.
    I was just thankful it had not hit and killed anyone, structural damage can be fixed, lives can't be brought back so everything into perspective.

It is up there with Christmas eve 1997, 12th February 2014. Hope it is a long time before we see similar again, first time I remember a state of emergency being declared in Kilkenny too.

Such a dangerous day and thankfully no one killed.

lolie wrote: »
    Would be nice to look back through.

That's a point, it would need automation on the forum, the pics and such are posted on the fly as soon as possible by whatever means available. It is as near nowcast as equipment and phone services and and 'two hours later tube' allows.

Whilst I often want to post to the pic forum, it's done and gone and well I won't do it [again] ~ but it's a good point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭MyStubbleItches

fryup wrote: »
    one group of people happy with this weather are the tree surgeons, they must be making a mint with all the work

Them and fast food restaurants. They were all packed in Ballincollig, Co. Cork this evening. All people with the same problem as us, power out at home (mid/west cork).

Every storm cloud has a greasy lining.

Advertisement