Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rennovating and extending an old bungalow

• 10-02-2014 8:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Just looking for some advise. Have the opportunity to buy an old bungalow which would need a good bit of work.

Ideally I would like to extend it and turn it into a dormer. It has a very old style layout, 3 bedrooms off the sitting room and a kitchen in back with a bathroom off the kitchen.
    I would like to extend the kitchen to bring it out level with the bedrooms (approx 3m's) either side and build over the kitchen to add 2 bedrooms and an ensuite.

Has anyone had experience with this sort of build and could you give an idea of what it cost you.

Any advise is greatly appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,303 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

staf9 wrote: »
    Have the opportunity to buy an old bungalow which would need a good bit of work.
    How long has been left alone? Consider that it may be protected, and thus no drilling walls, etc. Also, you may need to keep the roof the same, and all the furnishing.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 staf9

Has someone in it currently but it is in need of modernisation.

Current layout is not really family friendly so if would need to change it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,479 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Moved from Accommodation & Property

You need to help people help you. How big is the property. How big is the extension? What condition is the existing in? What is the construction? Where is it located?

Property in north county dublin.

Exterior walls are in good condition but as I said it's an old house which hasn't had much done in the last 20 years and needs modernizing.

Property size would be around 90 m2. Not sure how big the extension will be as ATM I'm just looking for general info from anyone who has done similar.

Trying to decide if this will be worth all the hours and hassle

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭sawdoubters

100k euros

• Advertisement

If it's the cottage I'm thinking of, it should be fine. The protected structure thing only comes into play on really old scenic buildings (esp those with a thatched roof), or inner city buildings whereby the locals got listed as a protected structure to stop anyone knocking it down and putting flats in it's place. Also, going to PM you a question.

Ideally I would like to extend it and turn it into a dormer. It has a very old style layout, 3 bedrooms off the sitting room and a kitchen in back with a bathroom off the kitchen.
    Old houses have often had the toilet on the outside (thus, the outhouse) of the house, and put one on the inside at a later stage. Check if you can put a corridor between the bathroom and the bathroom, for reasons of smell (after someone has used the loo), and also so that the steam from a shower doesn't enter the kitchen. Perhaps have a stairs in the same corridor?

House would almost have the same layout as the one you PM'd me but the kitchen is as wide as the sitting room with the bathroom behind at the back of the house

Think I could bring get the kitchen as wide as the front area of the house and then build over this to add 2 bedrooms.

Think I could bring get the kitchen as wide as the front area of the house and then build over this to add 2 bedrooms.
    Have any houses in the locality done something similar?

Yeah a couple have and an estate has been built across the road

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 cbert

You would need to allow c€100 per sq ft for renovation and €150 for extension so if the cottage is 90sqm you are probably talking anywhere from €150k up to €200k

Advertisement