Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Help! Getting fined for a car that is not mine!

Options
  • 10-02-2014 8:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

two summers ago a friend kindly lent me his car to practise for my up coming test.( I need my full license because I was going to be spending a year in new zealand)

so we put the car in my name and I got axa to insure me on it.after I passed my test..i drove straight to his house and parked the car in his garden and handed his the mother the log book.

while in NZ my ma contacted me and told me I received a fine for my friends car not displaying any tax .I thought that my friend had changed the name by now. I got on to my friend and ask him about this he said that he had could change the log book coz I hadnt sign it. he told me to send him the fine and he pay it off.

a couple off months went by and my ma again contacted me and told me another fine!!! so i got on to him again this time he told me that he had been up at a garda station where they informed him that he couldn’t pay the fine because the car was not reg. in his name so we agreed to have the log book sent out to me in new zealand. I got a few weeks later and sent it back to him think the matter would be resolved.

went I return home a year later a few weeks back and a received a summons from gards for not paying both fines. my friend as generous as neglected this and left me in the ****.

together we went to free legal aid to ask if we could do any thing about it.

we were told to try pay off the fines and tell our story to the Sgt who is responsible for the summons;

I tried to pay th fines but they would let me due to them being in the court system.

tried to contact the Sgt but can not get hold of him for the life off me, its like he a bleeding ghost!

any advice or help would be greatly appreciated as the court case is near and I dont want to get a criminal record or points on my licence!!??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭swarlb

mr. blue wrote: »
    two summers ago a friend kindly lent me his car to practise for my up coming test.( I need my full license because I was going to be spending a year in new zealand)

so we put the car in my name and I got axa to insure me on it.after I passed my test..i drove straight to his house and parked the car in his garden and handed his the mother the log book.

while in NZ my ma contacted me and told me I received a fine for my friends car not displaying any tax .I thought that my friend had changed the name by now. I got on to my friend and ask him about this he said that he had could change the log book coz I hadnt sign it. he told me to send him the fine and he pay it off.

a couple off months went by and my ma again contacted me and told me another fine!!! so i got on to him again this time he told me that he had been up at a garda station where they informed him that he couldn’t pay the fine because the car was not reg. in his name so we agreed to have the log book sent out to me in new zealand. I got a few weeks later and sent it back to him think the matter would be resolved.

went I return home a year later a few weeks back and a received a summons from gards for not paying both fines. my friend as generous as neglected this and left me in the ****.

together we went to free legal aid to ask if we could do any thing about it.

we were told to try pay off the fines and tell our story to the Sgt who is responsible for the summons;

I tried to pay th fines but they would let me due to them being in the court system.

tried to contact the Sgt but can not get hold of him for the life off me, its like he a bleeding ghost!

any advice or help would be greatly appreciated as the court case is near and I dont want to get a criminal record or points on my licence!!??

Go to court, bring your 'friend', and let him explain it to the judge.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,307 ✭✭✭✭blade1

I think you just send back the fine with the name of the person driving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

Was the fine for when you were driving it or afterwards? If it was afterwards, just do as blade1 says and send it back wth the name of whoever was driving it filled in the appropriate space. If it was before, then it's your pigeon

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

You really went to the bother of posting the vrc to new Zealand and back ? Why didn't you just tell him to scribble your name on it? The only person that would make a complaint of fraud would be the person who's name is being signed on it and you were hardly going to do that were you?

Even after all that messing why didn't you address it to Shannon instead of back to your mate again ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

Probably gone too far to follow my advice above, guess you'll be explaining to the Judge

• Advertisement

You really went to the bother of posting the vrc to new Zealand and back ? Why didn't you just tell him to scribble your name on it? The only person that would make a complaint of fraud would be the person who's name is being signed on it and you were hardly going to do that were you?

Even after all that messing why didn't you address it to Shannon instead of back to your mate again ?

Exactly, I don't even know why the friend thought about it and didn't just sign it on the spot when he wanted to transfer over the car to his name.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭ION08

Exactly what I was thinking! Sending a log book all the way to New Zealand so he can sign it!! PRICELESS!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 81,222 ✭✭✭✭biko

Keep trying for the Sgt, otherwise just explain your situation in court and hope for the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 mr. blue

ok thanks for the advice everyone . Would you recommend getting a solicitor? the case is next thursday!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

mr. blue wrote: »
    ok thanks for the advice everyone . Would you recommend getting a solicitor? the case is next thursday!

Up to you.

Personally I would just explain the story and provide proof in the form of Bank Statements/bills etc to show that I'd been in New Zealand during that time.

And also provide the details of aforementioned gobshíte

• Advertisement
Advertisement