Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung ATIV S

Options
  • 10-02-2014 9:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭

Need some help, if you please.

Got an upgrade and chose the Samsung ATIV S, a windows phone.

I am trying to transfer my contacts from, Samsung Galaxy S2, android, via Bluetooth

So it transfers all the contacts from Facebook, and Gmail, with email address but NOT the Phone number.

My son says that's why no-one wants a Windows phone

prove him wrong

Thanks for any assistance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭OldGuysRule

There is an app called 'transfer my data' I think that should help

• Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭martinn123

There is an app called 'transfer my data' I think that should help

many thanks for that, where can I get the App
    I did a search in the ''Store'' on the phone, and found nothing

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭OldGuysRule

It is a Nokia app, maybe only available on the Lumias?

http://www.windowsphone.com/en-ie/store/app/transfer-my-data/dc08943b-7b3d-4ee5-aa3c-30f1a826af02

Although the above link says it works with all Windows 8 phones

I do not know much about android, but another option would be to back up all the contacts to an outlook account and they should import easier?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭wilser

Are the contacts not there when you use your gmail account to sign into the phone?
    taught that's how i did it anyway
    edit
    when you go into settings- applications- people- filter my contact list. Make sure google/hotmail is ticked

wilser wrote: »
    Are the contacts not there when you use your gmail account to sign into the phone?

Yes, the contacts are there, with email but not the Phone Numbers
    taught that's how i did it anyway
    when you go into settings- applications- people- filter my contact list. Make sure google/hotmail is ticked

This phone does not have settings-applications-people.

I think I found the problem, the phone does not support the transfer from Gmail, an update is required, but not available, yet

thanks for suggestions so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭theothernt

I think your best bet is to fix the contacts on your Galaxy S2 first, so that all the names, emails, and phone numbers are in the correct place. Then everything will sync with Google, and it should appear on any future phone you get.

I go between Windows Phone, iPhone and Android with a Gmail account and everything follows me, as it should.

I'd also suggest logging into your Gmail on a PC or Mac and check your Contacts, it can be a lot easier to clean the up there.

theothernt wrote: »
    I think your best bet is to fix the contacts on your Galaxy S2 first, so that all the names, emails, and phone numbers are in the correct place. Then everything will sync with Google, and it should appear on any future phone you get.

I go between Windows Phone, iPhone and Android with a Gmail account and everything follows me, as it should.

I'd also suggest logging into your Gmail on a PC or Mac and check your Contacts, it can be a lot easier to clean the up there.

thanks for the post.
    The Galaxy is sync'd OK with Gmail, and on my PC, all the contacts in Gmail are correct.
    The sync with the Samsung copies everything, except the numbers, so all the contacts appear, with Email, photo's from Facebook, but not the numbers.
    I have spent 1/2 a day, editing the contacts, and have put in the numbers manually, not ideal, but at least I am up to date.
    Anyone else come across this problem with the ATIV S ?

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭theothernt

I'm not sure why a Galaxy S2 or Android would do that - maybe someone knows?

But I can tell you that if the phone numbers aren't appearing, that will happen on any Windows Phone are they all run the same software.

I do think the issue is with the S2, just not sure why the contacts that get uploaded to Gmail are missing phone numbers?!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

theothernt wrote: »
    I'm not sure why a Galaxy S2 or Android would do that - maybe someone knows?

But I can tell you that if the phone numbers aren't appearing, that will happen on any Windows Phone are they all run the same software.

I do think the issue is with the S2, just not sure why the contacts that get uploaded to Gmail are missing phone numbers?!
    Not sure if it's 100% related since most of the contact properties are copying across by Bluetooth. Although, if you just add your Google account to the phone instead of Bluetooth syncing, does the info copy across?

If not, you could try ensure that the phone is updated to the latest version of WP8 (settings > Phone Update > Check for Update).

There were some fixes that went into Update 2 (GDR2) or Update 3 (GDR3) for Google Calendar / Mail support, when Google pulled the plug on Exchange ActiveSync support for those products.

Not sure if it's 100% related since most of the contact properties are copying across by Bluetooth. Although, if you just add your Google account to the phone instead of Bluetooth syncing, does the info copy across?

If not, you could try ensure that the phone is updated to the latest version of WP8 (settings > Phone Update > Check for Update).

Tried that, and got an error message.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2805948

There were some fixes that went into Update 2 (GDR2) or Update 3 (GDR3) for Google Calendar / Mail support, when Google pulled the plug on Exchange ActiveSync support for those products.

I have tried to update the phone, but nothing available
    It appears the latest Fix is not avb. for the Samsung ATIV as yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭emy

Anyone has updated the Ativ S to the latest update GDR3?
    It will be available in Ireland too?
    Samsung ATIV S GDR3 update coming February 15th
    http://mobilesyrup.com/2014/02/12/rogers-samsung-ativ-s-gdr3-update-coming-february-15th/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,666 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

emy wrote: »
    Anyone has updated the Ativ S to the latest update GDR3?
    It will be available in Ireland too?
    Samsung ATIV S GDR3 update coming February 15th
    http://mobilesyrup.com/2014/02/12/rogers-samsung-ativ-s-gdr3-update-coming-february-15th/

Used the developers preview to get it last last year, unless there is something Samsung Specific.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭sawdoubters

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭shamtastic

Hi lads. I see the Windows Phone 8.1 update is imminent, but will this apply to the Ativ S? Specifically the ones off Amazon that many of us here bought last year. I never received the GDR3 update so I ain't too hopeful.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

shamtastic wrote: »
    Hi lads. I see the Windows Phone 8.1 update is imminent, but will this apply to the Ativ S? Specifically the ones off Amazon that many of us here bought last year. I never received the GDR3 update so I ain't too hopeful.
    The way to go is via the Microsoft Developer preview program and it will install the latest versions (including previews) on your phone directly from Microsoft without having to wait for Samsung, Nokia or your carrier to release it for your handset.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=87008286&postcount=1

If you do it now, you'll get GDR3 and then (probably) next week the WP 8.1 preview. (Note: Just sign up for the free App Studio account, no need to register for a paid Dev Account).

Thanks so much for that, worked perfectly.

Sorry to resurrect and old thread but I know there's a few of us on here with the Ativ S. Basically there was a long standing problem with the Ativ S running the 'Here Transit' app, some bizarre error code relating to the sim card! Today's update for said app now has the app working fine. I know the Transport for Ireland app is decent but it's good for Ativ S users to have the Here Transit app working too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,666 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

shamtastic wrote: »
    Sorry to resurrect and old thread but I know there's a few of us on here with the Ativ S. Basically there was a long standing problem with the Ativ S running the 'Here Transit' app, some bizarre error code relating to the sim card! Today's update for said app now has the app working fine. I know the Transport for Ireland app is decent but it's good for Ativ S users to have the Here Transit app working too.

They released an update in the past few days, and now it is available for all Windows 8 users, previously is was only for certain model (Nokia) phones.

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Wcool

About a week ago, I received a notification to update APN (in settings basically), source Samsung.

This update requires an insane amount of permissions yet does not come with any information.

Updater informs me that it requires: Appointments, phone identity, owner identity, video and still capture, location services, music library, photos library, microphone,data services,phone dialer, push notification service, movement and directional sensor, web browser component.

This goes well beyond what is required for this component imho (network stack of the phone).

Is there documentation out their about this release? I tried to find info but couldn't. Did all Ativ S owners get this update?

it says: current version 1.0.1.5, published by Samsung Electronics.co Ltd

I held it off for now.

Advertisement