Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does this door look right?

Options
  • 10-02-2014 9:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭

So my father just had a new back door put in. Seems to me like the gap at the bottom is way too big. Apparently it's to accommodate the brass part with the weather sealer. Any thoughts?

24d3nrp.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

Why wasn't the brass part fitted before door was hung?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

It hasn't been cut to width yet it seems. Strike plate also looked to be a few mm out but I think that was being fixed this evening. Also seems to be a gap at the top like the door or frame isn't straight all the way up. I tried to tell him to get one with locks already fitted, with triple locking points but he wouldn't really listen. It was hard enough to convince him to use double glazing instead of single. He's pretty stubborn.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

The brass sealers usually have either a brush or double rubber seals on them. Even so it looks pretty high.The gap at the top should be even - post a piccy and we'll have a gander.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭moonshadow

Who varnished it?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭sawdoubters

its just to let the flood waters out

• Advertisement

moonshadow wrote: »
    Who varnished it?
    Pops varnished it himself.

Well get him to varnish the other side asap or it will twist because of moisture getting to one face only. It's a grand looking door triple hinged, the weather bar was most likely left off to be bedded on the tiles that seem to be running underneath and door then resized to fit over.

Will moisture get in from the side that's on the inside that quick though? His plan is to paint the inside white within the next couple of days.

Undercoat it then, and seal the edges .

• Registered Users Posts: 28,569 ✭✭✭✭looksee

OP, I understand your concerns, but its your dad doing this bit of organising, let him at it. If it is too draughty at the bottom he will have to do something about it, but if you nag him about it he will not be 'able' to do it because it would be proving you right! Same with varnishing the back of the door, he did one side, probably ran out of energy (I know the feeling!), he will do the other side when he is ready. If it warps, well he will have to start over, but he does not need someone to tell him 'I told you so!' :-)

• Advertisement

Thanks for your reply but I find he does need help these days but can be quite stubborn about it. I'd be a total asshole if I sat back and let him ruin the door just to start over again. That would be the ultimate I told you so. He didn't run out of energy, he was just getting the outside done before it was fitted into place.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Brass threshholds come in a few sizes regarding the heights. And even though it looks to be a large gap, I,d say its ok. There are 2 parts to fit here, one on the floor, and an excluder on the door bottom. Or maybe a wheel cair access thresh hold is being fitted.

Yeah, it is quite a big brass threshold. It's pretty much finished now and it looks alright. Still some gaps around the bottom corners letting air in and a bolt has to be added to the top so the door is against the seal.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Effects wrote: »
    Yeah, it is quite a big brass threshold. It's pretty much finished now and it looks alright. Still some gaps around the bottom corners letting air in and a bolt has to be added to the top so the door is against the seal.

There shouldn't really be any gaps at the bottom corners. The piece of excluder that is on the back of the door has a full rubber strip that runs from rebate to rebate, and also makes contact along its length by touching the brass thresh hold fitted to the floor.

Advertisement