Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How clean are you?

• 10-02-2014 10:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭

Howya lads.

First year lambing indoors and due to start soon, I'm wondering what are your procedures for lambing pens? Do you disinfect the pen after every occupant moves on or just put in more straw and build up the bed?

I limed the floor today and put out a good bed of straw, but if I have to wash out the pens after each occupant goes I'll soak the feckin straw in the rest of the shed!!

Thanks again.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭rancher

foxylock wrote: »
    Howya lads.

First year lambing indoors and due to start soon, I'm wondering what are your procedures for lambing pens? Do you disinfect the pen after every occupant moves on or just put in more straw and build up the bed?

I limed the floor today and put out a good bed of straw, but if I have to wash out the pens after each occupant goes I'll soak the feckin straw in the rest of the shed!!

Thanks again.
    Clean out the pens and sweep it really well, get every bit of ****, easier than it sound because the beds usually wet, easy swept. Then spray with a good farm disinfectant, you don't have to drown it, just damp. I'd have the garden/knapsack sprayer filled for the job, lime is desperate in that it sticks the dung to the ground and you'd need the power washer to shift it.
    Is your lambing pens in with the sheep or away on their own, mines in a separate shed beside the sheep shed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 699 ✭✭✭eire23

Disinfect all lambing pens before here lambing starts with antec, Bed them then with straw or wood shavings and each pen is cleaned once a day and limed.
    Never had any disease out breaks and touch wood it stays that way!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

I just keep the place as clean as I can by adding more straw. I think as long as the place is dry it keeps a lot of stuff at bay. When it gets dirty, cold and wet is when the problems start. It might not be perfect but when your one man and working around the clock lambing standards will start to slip the longer lambing goes on. The exception is when I have a sick ewe or something like that , then I'd clean it out completely .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭foxylock

rancher wrote: »
    Clean out the pens and sweep it really well, get every bit of ****, easier than it sound because the beds usually wet, easy swept. Then spray with a good farm disinfectant, you don't have to drown it, just damp. I'd have the garden/knapsack sprayer filled for the job, lime is desperate in that it sticks the dung to the ground and you'd need the power washer to shift it.
    Is your lambing pens in with the sheep or away on their own, mines in a separate shed beside the sheep shed

For this year I can only bring in the twin bearing ewes so they will be in the shed with the pens, next year will have a bigger shed sorted so will be able to keep the small shed as the maternity ward.

Advertisement