Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How far can Wordpress take me?

Options
  • 10-02-2014 10:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭

Hello,

I've a good idea for a site that would be sort of like carzone or daft.

Non profit.

I'd like to make it as easily as possible. Could Wordpress do a site like that?

Basic requirement is that third parties could post to the site with a photo, select some tags from options I've set up and then add a description. Just like a garage putting a car up on carzone.

Another user could then search by filtering the tags and see contact details etc.

I'd like to be able to moderate it also so that anyone can't post without approval unless I've allowed them certain privileges i.e like an approved garage could moderate their own listings.

So, is this easily done with Wordpress or some other easy way?

Thanks, Any help much appreciated as this would be a great non profit helpful website!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭ChRoMe

Hello,

I've a good idea for a site that would be sort of like carzone or daft.

Non profit.

I'd like to make it as easily as possible. Could Wordpress do a site like that?

Basic requirement is that third parties could post to the site with a photo, select some tags from options I've set up and then add a description. Just like a garage putting a car up on carzone.

Another user could then search by filtering the tags and see contact details etc.

I'd like to be able to moderate it also so that anyone can't post without approval unless I've allowed them certain privileges i.e like an approved garage could moderate their own listings.

So, is this easily done with Wordpress or some other easy way?

Thanks, Any help much appreciated as this would be a great non profit helpful website!

Yes it can do it with plugins, no there probably isint a easier way (save for paying a developer to just build it for you)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

My take on this is that WordPress is good enough to take you a very long way indeed.

At some point if you hit good numbers, you will need to develop custom UIs and do a bit more than WP is providing you without serious customisation, and at that point the site should be capable of funding a custom development project. A custom build will also be cheaper at that stage than initially because you'll have learned a whole heap more about your requirements while running on a system where it's easy and cheap to change configuration.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭Jjjjjjjbarry

Good news. Thanks for that.

It'll be a simple enough site so hopefully Wordpress will handle it.
    There won't be any handling of money or storing of credit card details etc. Just information really.

Thanks again.

Does anyone know what this type of plugin is called? I'm searching for "advertising database" etc but not really finding exactly what I'm looking for. I'm sure there's a name for but I just can't get there!

Thanks again.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Try

WordPress classifieds plugin
    Wordpress classifieds theme

Engine themes have a nice flat design classifieds theme/plugin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭ChRoMe

Does anyone know what this type of plugin is called? I'm searching for "advertising database" etc but not really finding exactly what I'm looking for. I'm sure there's a name for but I just can't get there!

Thanks again.

It sounds like a modified "shopping cart" concept. Looking to do a bit of customisation on an existing shopping cart should give a good basis.

Thanks. That could be it. A shopping cart without a checkout might work.

Cheers!

Advertisement