Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Going for Test, whats this about PWR and Kw in the log book?

• 10-02-2014 11:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 820 ✭✭✭Diabolus

So my test is in 8 days and im getting everything in order, all the usual stuff is being checked off to make sure they dont flat out reject me for something stupid.

Now i notice that do my full A license test i need to "presenting to the test in the representative vehicle which is a minimum of 595cm3 and an engine power of at least 50kW."

However as i am on a bandit 600 @ 57kw this doesn't really matter.

What does matter is that my VRC (log book) doesn't show the KW output or Power to Weight Ratio.
    Will this matter? Will they know its clearly a 600 Bandit and these VRC's never contained this info in 1999!!!??

Any info will help, goggling this is a search term nightmare.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

http://www.rsa.ie/en/RSA/Learner-Drivers/Motorcyclists/Driving-Test-Vehicles---Motorcycles/

f you're bike is on this list you should be fine otherwise I'd be calling the RSA for clarification of whats required to prove that your bike meets the criteria.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 216 ✭✭Roadcraft

Diabolus wrote: »
    So my test is in 8 days and im getting everything in order, all the usual stuff is being checked off to make sure they dont flat out reject me for something stupid.

Now i notice that do my full A license test i need to "presenting to the test in the representative vehicle which is a minimum of 595cm3 and an engine power of at least 50kW."

What does matter is that my VRC (log book) doesn't show the KW output or Power to Weight Ratio.
    Will this matter? Will they know its clearly a 600 Bandit and these VRC's never contained this info in 1999!!!??

Bandit 600 is ok for category 'A' test.
    You must produce your learner permit & reg cert for the bike & you bike must have current road tax displayed on the bike.

Best of luck with the test.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 820 ✭✭✭Diabolus

Thanks to you both, that link definitely helped!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭StaggerLee

I went to do my test 3 weeks ago, I was turned away. My bike doesnt meet the criteria for A2 or A1. I cant do the test on it basically. So read up on it beforehand, or lose your €85 :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭LookBehindYou

StaggerLee wrote: »
    I went to do my test 3 weeks ago, I was turned away. My bike doesnt meet the criteria for A2 or A1. I cant do the test on it basically. So read up on it beforehand, or lose your €85 :mad:

What bike have you ?
    What category were you going for test on ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭StaggerLee

Burgman 250, I was registered for an A2 test. I booked the test last october, all looked good then, but the law changed in January.

Here are the regulations from the RSA, just make sure your bike meets them:

Category A:

A Category A motorcycle without sidecar, with a cylinder capacity of at least 595cm3, an unladen mass of more than 175kg., and an engine power of at least 50kW. If the motorcycle is powered by an electric motor, the power to weight ratio of the vehicle shall be at least 0.25kW/kg.

Category A2:

A Category A2 motorcycle without sidecar, with a cylinder capacity of at least 395cm3, and an engine power of at least 20 kW, but not exceeding 35 kW and with a power/weight ratio not exceeding 0.2kW/kg., and not derived from a vehicle of more than double its power. If the motorcycle is powered by an electric motor, the power to weight ratio of the vehicle shall be at least 0.15 kW/kg.

Category A1:

A Category A1 motorcycle without sidecar, with a cylinder capacity of at least 115 cm3 and not exceeding 125 cm3, and capable of a speed of at least 90 km/h, with an engine power not exceeding 11kW and with a power/weight ratio not exceeding 0.1kW/kg. If the motorcycle is powered by an electric motor, the power to weight ratio of the vehicle shall be at least 0.08 kW/kg.

The new rules came out on Jan 19th 2013, which is 13 months ago.
    If you had done your test before that date, you would have been able to use your bike and get an A licence(25kw restriction for 2 years) if you passed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 384 ✭✭josh59

If your bikes Kw output etc is not printed on your log book or registration document I would suggest you get a print out of the bike's spec from the manufacturers website - just in case the bike is not listed on the RSA database. Not the same as your query but I used a school bike for my A test and there was an issue with the model number listed on the registration cert which differed from the actual model number of the bike I was using even though the engine cc and power etc on both models was the same. There had been an issue with the bike the previous day when another person was using it for his test - once I was able to show the tester a print out showing all the relevant power and weigh numbers he was happy to go ahead.

Passed the test today, first time outing :)
    Bandit was grand no question asked about it as the tester knew his bikes.

Very happy with the test and i have to say the tester was very fair, i wont name him but a genuine and fair guy he was.

Got a lucky L tabard going if anyone needs it!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

Very happy with the test and i have to say the tester was very fair, i wont name him but a genuine and fair guy he was.

Well done. :)

• Advertisement

Del2005 wrote: »
    http://www.rsa.ie/en/RSA/Learner-Drivers/Motorcyclists/Driving-Test-Vehicles---Motorcycles/

f you're bike is on this list you should be fine otherwise I'd be calling the RSA for clarification of whats required to prove that your bike meets the criteria.

why are half that list of bikes not accepted when they are clearly over the power required?

why are half that list of bikes not accepted when they are clearly over the power required?

Not suitable on the right hand side of the list? = Not suitable for test on the old paper permit.

Congrats, well done

Diabolus,
    Congrats.
    Are ye doing the nifty fifty at the weekend ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 384 ✭✭josh59

Well done:)

Diabolus,
    Congrats.
    Are ye doing the nifty fifty at the weekend ?

Absolutely! Are you who I think you are so?

Absolutely! Are you who I think you are so?

Yes.

Advertisement